Recovering from Norovirus

Heartsurvivor

Many years ago, while living in the USA, I had a gastroenterological virus, became very unwell and was put on the BRAT diet to stabilise - bananas, rice, apples, toast. It worked well, balancing electrolytes with carbs for energy and I made a good recovery. It what I’ve done since when needed. Probably not the diet to follow now if going low carbs?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many years ago, while living in the USA, I had a gastroenterological virus, became very unwell and was put on the BRAT diet to stabilise - bananas, rice, apples, toast. It worked well, balancing electrolytes with carbs for energy and I made a good recovery. It what I’ve done since when needed. Probably not the diet to follow now if going low carbs?
Yes. I took a look at it but decided to not follow it. Going with some of the suggestions instead. It seemed to work.

Lionelw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I suffered this while in Germany and the hospital doctor said eat those baby biscuits that look like dried toast rather crunchy and they did the trick
Think they use with babies while teething not as yeasty as real toast so kept em down ok

Lynton427

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am just coming out of a bout of Norovirus. The nurse I spoke to today suggested I should start off with some toast having not eaten for a few days. Is there anything more suitable for T2 / Prediabetics?
Aussie remedy - white bread , thin smear butter or margarine (optional) , thin smear vegemite and cup of tea. Maybe it only works on Aussies but it might be worth a try. It always works for us which is why we always take vegemite on o/s holidays.

RJW_Lon_29

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks. Some good ideas. In the past I believed it appropriate to steer off oily or fatty stuff once eating at the end of a bout of a stomach upset.

My wife recommends bananas :D

But, chicken, yoghourt and scrambled egg sounds pretty good.
Definitely steer clear of oily fatty foods for the first few days of recovery from symptoms. My favourite food is dry toast and hot water as I have always been advised to drink plenty of fluids due to feeling dehydrated after sickness.