Red Wine

ClaireJC

Dislikes
People who force their opinions on you without checking their facts first!
Ardbeg said:
Hi Steve,

Spookily enough, I too have just embarked on a new vitamin/mineral regime.

Aplogies to the OP as this is now going off topic, but I now take:

Befotamaine
Zinc
Hi strength Vitamin B Complex (inc vitamin C)
Ginsing
Milk Thistle
Cinammon
Ginkgo

I take Gymnema Sylvestre which is supposed to increase insulin sensitivity - 1 400mg tablet before I eat and Chromium. Slow release multi vitamins too. What do your ones do. I know about Cinammon but not the others :)

ClaireJC

Dislikes
People who force their opinions on you without checking their facts first!
Bluenosesol said:
Hi Ardberg,

very spooky,

I take :-

Milk Thistle, Benfothiamine, Omega 3 Fish Oil, Vit B Complex, Multi Vit + Iron, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Evening Primrose Oil, Vit C 500mg, Cinammon

I also take Allapurinol for gout, but strangely enough, although I was plagued by gout attacks pre diagnosis, since commencing low carb, I havent had a single event! I was also on an anti depressant, but again since low carb, I have overcome my issues and dont need the medication!!

All the Best - Steve

Hi Steve,

Same comment to you as I sent to Ardberg -

I take Gymnema Sylvestre which is supposed to increase insulin sensitivity - 1 400mg tablet before I eat and Chromium. Slow release multi vitamins too. What do your ones do. I know about Cinammon but not the others

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi Claire,

As I understand it (and I am very much an amateur)

Alpha Lipoic Acid, EPO and Vit C is a cocktail devised to repair nerve damage,
Benfothiamine contains soluble Thiamine (Vit B) as hyperglycaemia is assoicated with Vit B deficiencies
Milk Thistle aids recovery of the liver from fatty liver disease
Daily Fish Oil (Omega 3) to aid cholesterol reduction and protect against CVD
Multivitamins with iron, as a boots and braces for any other vitamin stripping effects of diabetes
B Complex as per above

None of these supplements is convincingly proven, rather I have adopted them as they appear to have popular support from the global diabetic community

Dr Magnus Pike, deceased "expert" for the World Health Organisation once advised that the majority of vitamin supplements consumed would be excreted from the body as waste because either they are excess to requirements or that a lot of vitamins on sale are not provided in absorbable formats.

I personally believe that they work for me based on anecdotal improvements, so I am now scared to stop them in case I regress!!

The establishment are happy to pump us with the same old same old, so unfortunately we are left to engage our own suck it and see methods!..

All the Best - Steve

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Back to red wine for a moment . . . speaking as an expert (in drinking it, that is!) I have noticed, through research at great risk to life and limb (and a lot of personal enjoyment :oops: ) that, even though my BG levels go down at the time I drink, they are always a little bit higher during the day when I'm drinking, than they are when I'm not.

That's a bit ambiguous. I only drink in the evening, not during the day.

This is possibly just me, because I do drink too much (by the guidelines) when I drink, but I thought I'd pass it on, for what it's worth. I'm sure I'd be better off in every way if I stopped completely - but what would life be without the odd little pleasure? :shock: :lol:

On the plus side - red wine is full of iron - and I have never in my life been anaemic, despite horrid menstrual problems for about 20 years.

Viv 8)

ally5555

Viv,

I just checked the iron content of wine - 0.9mg Iron /100mls. I have never put it on a list of foods/ drink to increase iron intake! As it is not a haem iron it is not as well absorbed but tastes nice!

Ally

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
donnellysdogs said:
Everything in moderation...... :D

Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess

Dillinger

(oh, ok, that was Oscar Wilde... :wink: )

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Allyx - leave me just one of my illusions! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Viv 8)

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I find it virtually impossible to only have 1 glass of wine. I drink red wine almost every day now, but seldom fewer than two glasses a night :lol:

hpotter44

My Diabetic nurse said that I should stick to the national guide lines and that 2 glasses of wine daily is ok! Not that I am drinking yet due to waiting results of a heart test due to having a stroke and being diagnosed type 2 all at the same time. I am seeing my consultant on the 13th September for the results and its been about 13 weeks since the stroke so hopefully she gives the go ahead to start drinking again. I am only 44 years old and not over weight at all. Hales x

adm

Well....we're all different but....

I drink a bottle of red wine most nights. I find it does nothing to my BG levels at all. If anything, it lowers them. They are also low in the mornings too. Just got an HbA1c result today and it was 5.4 (34 mmol/mol), so that's OK.

On the other hand, this is way more than the "guidelines". But I do get my full bloodwork done every three months and my liver and kidney function is all perfect, so I'll just keep an eye on it and if I spot anything going the wrong way I will take action.

On the other, other hand there's a lot of carbs and calories there....but I do a lot of high intensity cycling which seems to burn that lot off pretty effectively.

Your mileage may vary, but for me red wine isn't an issue at all. The killers for me were potatoes, white pasta, pastry and white rice (I never really ate sugary stuff anyway)