Reduced Carbs, HBA1C result

allie_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had tried reduced carbs four years ago and did well but over time I slipped back into old habits.
After having a non healing cut on my ankle and seeing it turn into a sore I knew I had to take action.
I don't count calories and always have good sized meals. I haven't eaten bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, grains, wheat flour (certainly not knowingly) and avoiding sugars as far as possible and delighted to say that since 9th January I have lost 4 Stone 9 pounds and my HBA1C has dropped from 63 to 36.
I take 3 x 500mg slow release Metformin and 1 x 30mg slow release Gliclazide ( been told to come off the Gliclazide now)
When testing my blood glucose it's mainly in the 5's and 6's, a few 4's but rarely at 7 even after eating. In January my fasting BH was over 12 when I checked.
I was a significant weight to start with and still need to lose a few stone but things are looking good. My non healing cut actually healed after two weeks on this way of eating.
My blood pressure is dropping, cholesterol is at 4 with HDL being 1.5 of that. I don't take statins.
I was plagued with severe heartburn for years and years and taking ranitidine and omipraze daily but delighted to say I haven't had heartburn in the 19 weeks I've been doing this. No heartburn tablets anymore. Clearly, it's carbs that were affecting me. I eat lots of spicy foods and still no heartburn.
It's this forum that started my interest in restricting carbs. There's always plenty interesting and informative reading here.
Thanks folks.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Wonderful!! Congratulations - you must be very pleased with such great results.

Reactions: Freema

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @allie_uk .. and welcome
Well done and many congrats on your fantastic results .. you are an inspiration to all and your numbers are a testament to your resilience and determination.
It looks like you are (more or less) following LCHF and it's obviously working wonders for you .. but you might find some additional tips and info if you read up on the Low Carb Diet forum .. and the following websites ...
Low Carb Intro and Information
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds
Hope this helps

Reactions: Prem51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you soooo much for posting.
What a wonderful achievement!
Made my day.

Reactions: Prem51

allie_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the reply's. I was diagnosed type 2 five years ago and was probably diabetic for a few years before diagnosis. I did well on restricted carbs for a year. It slipped into bad habits again.
I gained most of the weight I'd lost but this time I have more knowledge of things. I read and firmly believe in Michael Moseley and Jason Fungs findings.
I follow the 8 week blood sugar support group on Facebook and I use the recipe book along with the Tom Kerridge book.
I opted not to do the 800 calorie a day 8 week diet for now. I'm losing weight each week without calorie restriction and my BG is good so I will keep to this for now and will rethink if I stop losing weight and still have a lot to lose.