liars, animal cruelty
i have 15 lantus morning,
breakfast 1 unit per 10 gram,
dinner 1 unit 15 gram,
tea 1 unit 10 gram,
supper 1 unit 10 gram :D

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
I really ought to learn about these grammes of carbs. What is a typical 10 gram carbohydrate load? Is it just the weight of so much pasta or a slice of bread etc.? :?

jopar

rach79

Pasta cooked lasagne sheets 18.1g carbs per 100g
Pasta shapes 18.1g carbs per 100g

If you check the package you will see that they give a total carb count per 100g, sometimes if you lucky the will say how many in that producet i.e xxxg carbs per biscute..

To get full details of how many grams of carbs, is to get something like collins Jem carb counting book, there ae also other carb counting books available and they normally cost under £5 to buy..

But a well worth it assest in aiding control

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
Rough routine for me:-

16 units Lantus (Glargine) at night (but considering changing to morning and BS still all over the show no matter what dose)

Breakfast (usually one round of thick brown toast) - depending on BS levels around 6 units but if they are high I will take 8 units and hope for the best.

Lunch (usually a tasty hot brown baguette with roasted ham or beef inside) around 8 units or 12 units if I fancy scoffing a few choccie biscuits or having afternoon snack of some sort later (6 units if exercising after work though as very sensitive when it comes to exercising).

Tea (pasta, stir fry's, could go on forever) - around 6 units if fasting level is good but if not then around 8 - 10units.

Rach79

Dislikes
jopar said:
rach79

Pasta cooked lasagne sheets 18.1g carbs per 100g
Pasta shapes 18.1g carbs per 100g

If you check the package you will see that they give a total carb count per 100g, sometimes if you lucky the will say how many in that producet i.e xxxg carbs per biscute..

To get full details of how many grams of carbs, is to get something like collins Jem carb counting book, there ae also other carb counting books available and they normally cost under £5 to buy..

But a well worth it assest in aiding control

Super thanks :D

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Andrew 10yrs old and coeliac, height 4ft 11" weight 6st 2lb (skinny but beginning to fill out a bit)
20 units Lantus at bedtime
1 unit per 10g carb @ breakfast
1.2 units per 10g carb @ lunchtime
1.5 units per 10g carb @ teatime
Obvoiusly not a low carber as only a child and growing, but doesn't always want carbs with meals, so we now can adjust insulin to suit. Slowly getting there
Suzi x

derailleurs

Dislikes
Piccalilly!!
Amazing how little Lantus you all seem to take compared to me. I take 14 in the morning and 14 at night. I used to take 12 morning and night but my blood sugar levels were high constantly.

Novorapid pretty much 10-12 units before every meal.

I'm normal weight and exercise daily.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
what kind of foods do u eat?
i may be wrong but it certainly sounds like you have a lot of insulin resistance :D

derailleurs

Dislikes
Piccalilly!!
Hi totsy

Well I don't produce any insulin at all, and I have quite a few complications including high blood pressure and kidney problems which could contribute to it.
I do however exercise a lot - daily commute to and from work and longer rides at weekends plus gym three times a week. But yeah I do eat like a horse, however I couldn't really do without due to all the exercise.

I don't really find it a problem, just amazed people here need so much less of it! :shock:

derailleurs

Dislikes
Piccalilly!!
In terms of food, I got diabetes when I was five and back then, the diet and portions were really strict, and I learnt to eat very healthily. I never eat white bread unless it's forced upon me, lots of fruit and veg and lean meat. My only sins are the occasional pizza and pasta and fish & chips about once a month.

I cannot do low carb because of sports, it would be dangerous but kind of interested in the concept, just don't know anything about it.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Humalog and Lantus (about to take a deep breath and change to Levemir)

3 units Humalog at breakfast (negligable carbs)
2 units Humalog at lunch (negligable carbs)
7 units Humalog at dinner (carbs all from vegetables and low carb bread)

4 units Lantus at bedtime, 4 units in the morning.

Derailleurs, my Spidey-senses are telling me you might be a cyclist? Me too and I do long weekend rides on no carbs at all. PM me anytime to talk carbs, groupsets and lycra :shock:

All the best,

fergus

Diabolical

I'm really confused by that, Fergus.

When I'm no-carbing I don't need any rapid-acting insulin (novorapid) at all. The Lantus seems to do the job.

Does Humalog work differently?

malky

derailleurs said:
Amazing how little Lantus you all seem to take compared to me.

I was thinking the same thing i am on
Lantus 30 units at night
Novo Rapid 6 units @ breakfast
7 Units @ Lunch
10 Units @ Dinner

Diabolical

We all have different metabolisms, and therefore insulin requirements. I've met people who take 5 times as much insulin as me.

Just find it interesting to say it all out loud.

It's all a blooming mystery to me.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Diabolical, I'm surprised that you can eat no-carb foods and need no bolus insulin. :shock:
The protein I eat at breakfast and lunch will generate enough glucose for all my needs, but without the insulin my bs would certainly run high. Around a third of protein can be converted to glucose so there is no way I could eat it without insulin.
Humalog works in much the same way as Novorapid, so the bolus insulin can't be the issue. How much basal insulin do you take?

All the best,

fergus

derailleurs

Dislikes
Piccalilly!!
Hi fergus

Derailleurs, my Spidey-senses are telling me you might be a cyclist? Me too and I do long weekend rides on no carbs at all. PM me anytime to talk carbs, groupsets and lycra

Yes I am a roadie as well. Not a semi-pro or anything and during the week it's mainly commuting. Have not trained much in Nov/Dec due to a freelance project I'm working on, but I've set up a 'female only' cyclist group and it looks like we're doing a group ride next weekend.

Lycra and groupsets - now that is an offer I won't be able to resist!!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
I too dont need to inject if im only eating minimum carbs ,say under 10,i have say salad and meat and my bloods are 4.2 before,1hr after 4.3,2 hrs after 4.5, next meal im between 3.8 and 4.3 mmol,
strange how we all differ isnt it?
hence why i always tell folks to try 4 themselves as we are all different inside and out :D

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Joy! Rapture! Another T1 roadie!

Lycra and groupsets - now that is an offer I won't be able to resist!!

I think you and I are going to need our own private forum....... :mrgreen:

Totsy, that's really interesting. Do you know whether you have any remaining beta cell function? I couldn't get away with that unless I'd done a ton of exercise. We're certainly all different, maybe to a greater degree than we realise sometimes.

fergus