Regular moderate exercise log

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did about 60-70 mins walking today, split into two bouts. Nasty humid weather today, though. otherwise I might have done a bit more

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yesterday cleaned the living room carpet (it took me low so must count!). today joined you with walking, 2hrs in the woods with my little one.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yesterday cleaned the living room carpet (it took me low so must count!). today joined you with walking, 2hrs in the woods with my little one.
That's so funny! Today I thought, "Hmm, maybe tomorrow's exercise should be carpet cleaning!" As I looked at my neglected carpets....

Reactions: 2 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I was thinking of new carpet!

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, I didn't clean the carpets, but today's exercise was just a bout of housework. That made me go low too. So I ate a whole banana and carried on. And at the end my blood sugar was still good.

This regular thing does seem to be working quite well so far. My blood sugars are running at the bottom end of normal all the time, so I may be able to instigate a small reduction in my basal rates soon.

But walking tomorrow, I hope. It's much more fun than housework.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the moment I'm finding that the day after doing a good level of exercise (which for me is a walk of 10,000 steps plus), I'm really wiped out and can't face more than a short walk. In 'normal' circumstances, I'd think this is fine - reasonable - and plan on good lengths of walks 3 or 4 days a week and very short walks on the days in between. But I have the impression I'm meant to be developing a daily pattern of exercise - like a daily dose of medication. Do other people think the same?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think that above all achievable targets are the thing. I always start from "something is better than nothing." Maybe I am just too easily demoralized, but if I start with great ideas, my progress tends to stall after a couple of weeks. If I build up, I can keep it going for longer.

So I would say, three times a week is better than not at all. If it is manageable for you and it gives clear benefits, then why change it?

If it is not working for you, you can always try a different routine - say, shorter walks every day instead. Or a longer walk every day, if you find time and feel the benefit.

The reason I gave the thread this title is because there is masses of research that says we benefit from exactly this. It's great to do wonderful things in sport and fitness, but for our health moderate exercise is both necessary AND sufficient. So, for me, I am just trying to stick to this as a "baseline".

In my case, I do find that three longish walks a week are enough to keep my blood sugar stable and my insulin resistance low. I'm T1 so it's quite easy to measure insulin resistance by insulin requirements. I find that if I slack off for four days, I start to see my blood sugars creeping upward. But it doesn't have to be a great effort to get back to the right place. A bit less sitting down, a bit more housework, half an hour's walking can do it.

I like to do more because it starts to push my insulin requirements down, which is all to the good in my opinion. I don't want to be an insulin-resistant T1. I think that would be more than I could handle.

There must be some variation between individuals, of course. I know the more muscle you carry, the lower your insulin resistance. So more muscular people probably can slack for a bit longer. (When I used to run a bit in my youth, I was always long-distance and cross-country, not a sprinter at all. So I'm pretty puny!)

That was a bit of a ramble so the short answer is no, I don't think you do have to exercise every day!

Last edited by a moderator:

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, it's been pouring with rain for two days here, so I didn't feel like going out in it. I blew the cobwebs off the hula hoop and gave that a go for about 20 minutes, maybe more. So that's today's exercise ticked off the list. It was quite fun, in fact.

And ooop, no, managed to force myself outdoors for about forty minutes' walking including round-trip to chemists for supplies.

Last edited by a moderator:

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You lot do cheer me up!

Having said that, I went off this afternoon for one particular walk I now do once a week, along a footpath which is now really familiar, and I can't believe how much shorter it feels now than it did when I started doing it! The sunshine did help, though.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Fell over- badly sprained ankle.. Bad neck still so nothing from me for days!! Will get some exercise just hoiking myself up the stairs tonight and that will be it!!

trisha68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you help me?,i am Type 2 and I have got limited arthritis in my joints cannot walk very far,apart from going swimming can you suggest any more excercises that I could do?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Trisha,
I am no expert on sports science so I hesitate to recommend stuff without any knowledge. I can say that I also was diagnosed as having arthritis in my ankles a few years back. I was pretty upset. I thought it was the beginning of "the end". That sounds a bit dramatic but for me exercise has been the main tool (after insulin) for controlling my T1. I did lots of googling and found that running (not just walking, like I do) certainly doesn't make arthritis worse, and may stop it progressing. In my case, I no longer have any pain in my ankles. Once in a while one of them kind of 'locks' but it is Ok again a few hours later.
One thing I have found useful is "dynamic stretches". There is an excellent video
by a physiotherapist. It is aimed at runners, but since most of us walk every day, even if just round the house, it really helps. It doesn't look like much, but try it and see.
Even just doing that every day, and adding it to your swimming would help.
Then, if you live in the UK, maybe you can do what @donnellysdogs did. As I understand it, she actually got a "prescription" from her GP for sessions with a specialized personal trainer. If you can do that, he/she may be able to make good recommendations for you.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Wish I could Hula hoop! Bad luck on the ankle d.dogs. Trisha - swimming always brings my numbers down, but no experience of arthritis so no advice sorry.
Mostly short walks for me so far this week but off to the gym at lunchtime.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fell over- badly sprained ankle.. Bad neck still so nothing from me for days!! Will get some exercise just hoiking myself up the stairs tonight and that will be it!!
DD, you're in the wars, right now! But you've been overdoing it according to the keepy-uppies thread. Moderation doesn't come easy to you, obviously! Just one of your day's work would be more than enough for me, without any extras! You can lie down, get well and give advice for a few days. ;)

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you help me?,i am Type 2 and I have got limited arthritis in my joints cannot walk very far,apart from going swimming can you suggest any more excercises that I could do?

Trisha - Might you be able to manage sessions on an exercise bike?

At our local swimming pool there's also a gym, and one of my friends (well into her 70s) went in there to talk to the staff about what she might - and might not - be able to do and they were really helpful. They also do a cheap deal on prices if you're also using the pool. One session, to pick their brains, might be helpful. And don't assume that everyone there's going to be young and fit!

Reactions: 4 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
About 30-40 mins walk today. Feeling the after-effects of the hula hoop a bit.
So that means it was useful. Must do it again.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's October and there's still sunshine! This is sooooo helping me get out there to go for a walk.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Half an hour is the theme today! Walk at lunchtime. Yesterday was gym. Tomorrow I'm trying a power plate thing. Has anyone used them? I read a paper that said they improved glycemic control in type 2s (obese, sedentary) women. I thought it might be worth a go even if I don't meet that demographic.