Regular moderate exercise log

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Snapsy ! Back to walking in to work properly this week as that particular challenge was completed last week, but we didn't do so badly in the finish with our group total.

Yesterday involved a smidgeon of running... for most of the years I've been in this job I've worked a lot with a student who's Type 1 with a significant visual impairment and traditionally I've been the sighted guide for this student in the annual obstacle race! (Apart from one year where my services were not required.)

I wasn't expecting to do it this year, but it worked out his current support staff really wasn't keen to run, so I offered to step in.

Well, we smashed it. Not only did we go round on our fastest time ever - we'd not lost the knack of picking up each other's cues.

More to the point, having chorused "Don't you dare hypo on me!" just before we started when we both checked with the other what lunch time bloods had been and had pre-exercise snack routine been adhered to... (I don't need to snack usually, but student does) we were both perfect post exercise and no hypos were involved in the process.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
TERRIFIC, @Japes ! Congratulations, both of you!
:happy::happy::happy:

Curtsies nicely.

Today's exploits involved a rowing machine! This was a first for yours truly and I'm in shock as I really enjoyed it and kept easy pace with today's student who uses the machine regularly!!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't get too excited, I'm not back to report any more adventures on the gym equipment.

I'm now student free for two months and whilst I still have some days left to work before the summer really starts, (plus we return before the students) I've now definitely got more walking time available. It's also the first Saturday I've been free all day for some weeks.

So, off I toddled for today's meander. I didn't mean to have a paddle in the brook, but since my coffee flask decided to leap into said brook then had the good sense to get stuck where I could manage to rescue it safely (with the aid of a long branch which was stuck by the same set of rocks) paddle I did.

Nice way to cool my feet down on a hot day, but won't do it again unless I have to - heaven only knows what goes in the water, though it's cleaner than I have seen it previously. I know volunteers have been working in that area to de-litter.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your paddle sounds wonderful, @Japes , even if it was unplanned!

I've now finished my five weeks of two sessions a week of personal training...... and I'm SO LOVING IT that I'm carrying on! Monday will see me doing a lighter weights session before getting on the treadmill! I've been working with the PT in order to get stronger after injuring myself running, so Monday will be a Big Day.........

:)

Reactions: Japes

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As of today, I do run run run, I do run run!

Did some weighty stuff first, then 15 mins on the treadmill, 6 and a half of which were running, finishing with a fast walk. Then I went for a swim. Was aiming for 20 lengths but managed only 18 and a half due to a lack of communication of the fact that the blaring siren was a fire alarm TEST not an actual fire alarm............... still, I was quite impressed with the speed at which I vacated the pool!

Really really pleased that I've actually RUN, albeit briefly. And my previously dodgy leg is not complaining!

Got back to the village and lo and behold when I popped to the post office I found a pile of entry forms for our local 5k (pub to pub, between the two villages) - so I grabbed one! Hurrah! Entered it last year but was bedbound with a kidney infection at the time - so this year, folks, I WILL DO IT! How very fitting that I should come across the entry forms today!

I've got until August bank holiday Monday to psych myself up for it. Oh, and train for it, obv.........!

:)

Reactions: Freema and Japes

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I likes this back to running malarkey very much @Snapsy ! And the speedy pool exit!

I'm adding a speedier walk to my daily routine. Well, when I say adding, I'm just making myself do the "Walk to work" section a bit faster.. Got to work in 45 minutes, rather than 52 or so this morning. Mind you, there's only 4 more mornings before 6 weeks off that walk.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday was an immoderate day. 15 miles. At least 5 at a very fast pace!

Mostly in angry response to a GP's poor handling of my 6 monthly review and her immediate suggestion I didn't do enough exercise or manage my diet properly without telling me what had prompted this or asking me what I was doing. Thankfully I had spreadsheet evidence and photographic evidence of the weight loss over the last 3 years. I've crept up from an Hba1c of 57 to 60 over the last months. I was totally aware action would probably need to be taken - this is why I will continue to self-monitor.

No mention of excellent blood pressure (or it was before she started) continued weight loss, albeit only 2 kg since previous view, and lower cholesterol!

I am calm now.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On holiday in Cornwall, Padstow. No exercise for last 7 days. Great holiday, but really looking forward to getting back in gym and getting all the excess testosterone out of my system. Roll on Sunday. How sad am I ?:):):)

Reactions: Snapsy and Japes

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I've been trying to increase my physical activity during work days when I don;t have as much time to do the kinds of recreational physical activity that I prefer. So I now do stairs instead of elevators (I'm only 55 so I refuse to use an elevator) and did a stair count yesterday - it looks like, on average, I climb 500 stairs a day - it's remarkable how much of a difference it has been making. Looking forward to doing some cycling this weekend and if the Jelly Fish aren't that bad maybe some snorkeling. I just love summer .....

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Holidays over. Back in the gym, first time in over a week.
Chest and shoulders.......OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!
Probably one of the best " pains " you can have. It feels so good.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Stepladders must count as exercise as well. I have done several thousand steps up and down cleaning neglected wooden doors and window frames today. I've been in my steel toe capped boots for most of the last week helping friends with a renovation project which has quite a tight deadline - I'm certain that must count as double steps judging by how achy my feet are tonight.. I did walk some of the way home but the combination of "Steel toe cap boots" aches and the fact I had brought my decorating clothes home for a wash so was carrying more than usual kind of had me wilting earlier than usual.

Never mind, I'll add today's missing steps to tomorrow's totals and all shall be well with the spreadsheet again!.

Last edited:

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just checking in - a week into the summer hols :)

Still walking every day - despite a (probably) broken little toe. Tripped over a suitcase two weeks ago - helpfully left in the middle of the bathroom by the teenagers - sigh.

I had a few days off walking in my boots - but seeing as Ofsted arrived the following day (last week of term - the swines) - I managed plenty of walking (limping!) in school! Back in boots now - less painful, but not right yet.

Swimming 3 to 4 times a week too - which I love. It's done very impressive things to my arms - I've never had muscle definition before :D

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday was an immoderate day. 15 miles. At least 5 at a very fast pace!

Mostly in angry response to a GP's poor handling of my 6 monthly review and her immediate suggestion I didn't do enough exercise or manage my diet properly without telling me what had prompted this or asking me what I was doing. Thankfully I had spreadsheet evidence and photographic evidence of the weight loss over the last 3 years. I've crept up from an Hba1c of 57 to 60 over the last months. I was totally aware action would probably need to be taken - this is why I will continue to self-monitor.

No mention of excellent blood pressure (or it was before she started) continued weight loss, albeit only 2 kg since previous view, and lower cholesterol!

I am calm now.

How annoying - but keep up the good work with BP and weight - and I know you can knock that HbA1c down a bit more :)

Reactions: Snapsy and Japes

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just checking in - a week into the summer hols :)

Still walking every day - despite a (probably) broken little toe. Tripped over a suitcase two weeks ago - helpfully left in the middle of the bathroom by the teenagers - sigh.

I had a few days off walking in my boots - but seeing as Ofsted arrived the following day (last week of term - the swines) - I managed plenty of walking (limping!) in school! Back in boots now - less painful, but not right yet.

Swimming 3 to 4 times a week too - which I love. It's done very impressive things to my arms - I've never had muscle definition before :D

Ofsted in the last week of the academic year is cruel!!! I thought it was bad enough in the last month of the summer term (last time ours was.)

Hooray for swimming and a partial return to walking. Boo to broken toes and teenagers leaving stuff lying around...

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been happily going on with a mixture of house renovation work (Stepladders!) and meeting my walking targets, mostly, and all has been well. Apart from blood sugars playing silly whatsits. So today I threatened them with a Very Long Walk.and Very Low Carb food which has beaten them into submission (we shall see what my liver has to say about 4.30 a.m. tomorrow, before I get too excited) and had been planning on some more Very Long Walks over the next few days, as the messing about on stepladders and other renovation-y stuff has stopped.

Annoyingly, Number Three Blister has appeared. On the ball of my foot. Not sure my usual compeed plasters are going to work... New insoles/foot bed required, methinks, as the boots are fine otherwise.

How's every one else doing?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning!

My 5k training is going well - have got a local fun run on Monday and I've been building up to it. Am so so desperate to not get injured again so it's been a long and slow haul! Just for 5k......!

Still, there's a free pint at the end of it if I finish. Tis pub to pub, after all.
Straw poll: Is a pint a better race memento than a medal? Thoughts please!

:angelic:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Snapsy Personally, being allergic to all alcohol, the medal would be better - but I can see the attraction of a celebratory pint at the end of a 5k. Good luck!

I am beginning to wonder if my skin has decided to go all delicate and fragile on me. After clearing up the ball of foot blister (compeed works there if I am prepared to deal with the adhesive on sock problem - old soft socks inside my Bridgedales, but I can commend the virtues of Sticky Stuff Remover on fabric as well) I discovered grazes on both my elbows and no idea how they happened?!

In the meantime, walking targets are being splendidly met and I'll be going back to work with some wriggle room as I've now smashed the August grand total and not far off the brisk pace + continuous walking target being completed before going back to work. That's the one I'd definitely like to get a bit more ahead on before the dark nights set in.

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally, being allergic to all alcohol, the medal would be better - but I can see the attraction of a celebratory pint at the end of a 5k. Good luck!
I think the idea of a pint is a nice idea (mine'll be either a Diet Coke or a 'shandy' made up of half Diet Coke/half Harvey's Best) as it's sponsored by the pub, but, weeeeell, this girl does like a bit of running bling!

I shall be glad of a pint of something cold, that's for certain!

You've absolutely NAILED a summer full of walking, @Japes , blisters or no blisters! Good tip re Sticky Stuff Remover. I'm having a nightmare with cannula adhesive at the moment - my midriff looks as if I've been attacked by several octopi.....!

Hope the elbows heal smartish! Hugs!

:happy: