1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Regular moderate exercise log

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by RuthW, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Japes

Japes Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's That Time of Year again - next week we have three days of sporting and other activities as a wind down to the end of term. But we are well into the three week challenge to see how many laps of our football field each group can do. This includes staff...

So, I'm treating myself to a bus ride to work so I can do my usual morning 2 miles or so upping our group's laps total. Yes, most of my colleagues who've spotted me toddling round and round the field ages before I'm really due at work are convinced in their opinion I am quite, quite obsessed by the walking. I haven't told them how many miles I'm up to this year so far...

On one of my targets I'm a little bit behind but for my main target I am well ahead of what I set for myself. Probably need to thank this particular group for this - my at work walking has probably trebled this year!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I love this, @Japes !
    :happy:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Japes

Thank you @Snapsy ! Back to walking in to work properly this week as that particular challenge was completed last week, but we didn't do so badly in the finish with our group total.

Yesterday involved a smidgeon of running... for most of the years I've been in this job I've worked a lot with a student who's Type 1 with a significant visual impairment and traditionally I've been the sighted guide for this student in the annual obstacle race! (Apart from one year where my services were not required.)

I wasn't expecting to do it this year, but it worked out his current support staff really wasn't keen to run, so I offered to step in.

Well, we smashed it. Not only did we go round on our fastest time ever - we'd not lost the knack of picking up each other's cues.

More to the point, having chorused "Don't you dare hypo on me!" just before we started when we both checked with the other what lunch time bloods had been and had pre-exercise snack routine been adhered to... (I don't need to snack usually, but student does) we were both perfect post exercise and no hypos were involved in the process.

• Winner Winner x 3
  4. Snapsy

TERRIFIC, @Japes ! Congratulations, both of you!
    :happy::happy::happy:

5. Japes

Curtsies nicely.

Today's exploits involved a rowing machine! This was a first for yours truly and I'm in shock as I really enjoyed it and kept easy pace with today's student who uses the machine regularly!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Japes

Don't get too excited, I'm not back to report any more adventures on the gym equipment.

I'm now student free for two months and whilst I still have some days left to work before the summer really starts, (plus we return before the students) I've now definitely got more walking time available. It's also the first Saturday I've been free all day for some weeks.

So, off I toddled for today's meander. I didn't mean to have a paddle in the brook, but since my coffee flask decided to leap into said brook then had the good sense to get stuck where I could manage to rescue it safely (with the aid of a long branch which was stuck by the same set of rocks) paddle I did.

Nice way to cool my feet down on a hot day, but won't do it again unless I have to - heaven only knows what goes in the water, though it's cleaner than I have seen it previously. I know volunteers have been working in that area to de-litter.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Snapsy

Your paddle sounds wonderful, @Japes , even if it was unplanned!

I've now finished my five weeks of two sessions a week of personal training...... and I'm SO LOVING IT that I'm carrying on! Monday will see me doing a lighter weights session before getting on the treadmill! I've been working with the PT in order to get stronger after injuring myself running, so Monday will be a Big Day.........

:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Snapsy

As of today, I do run run run, I do run run!

Did some weighty stuff first, then 15 mins on the treadmill, 6 and a half of which were running, finishing with a fast walk. Then I went for a swim. Was aiming for 20 lengths but managed only 18 and a half due to a lack of communication of the fact that the blaring siren was a fire alarm TEST not an actual fire alarm............... still, I was quite impressed with the speed at which I vacated the pool!

Really really pleased that I've actually RUN, albeit briefly. And my previously dodgy leg is not complaining!

Got back to the village and lo and behold when I popped to the post office I found a pile of entry forms for our local 5k (pub to pub, between the two villages) - so I grabbed one! Hurrah! Entered it last year but was bedbound with a kidney infection at the time - so this year, folks, I WILL DO IT! How very fitting that I should come across the entry forms today!

I've got until August bank holiday Monday to psych myself up for it. Oh, and train for it, obv.........!

:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Japes

I likes this back to running malarkey very much @Snapsy ! And the speedy pool exit!

I'm adding a speedier walk to my daily routine. Well, when I say adding, I'm just making myself do the "Walk to work" section a bit faster.. Got to work in 45 minutes, rather than 52 or so this morning. Mind you, there's only 4 more mornings before 6 weeks off that walk.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Japes

Yesterday was an immoderate day. 15 miles. At least 5 at a very fast pace!

Mostly in angry response to a GP's poor handling of my 6 monthly review and her immediate suggestion I didn't do enough exercise or manage my diet properly without telling me what had prompted this or asking me what I was doing. Thankfully I had spreadsheet evidence and photographic evidence of the weight loss over the last 3 years. I've crept up from an Hba1c of 57 to 60 over the last months. I was totally aware action would probably need to be taken - this is why I will continue to self-monitor.

No mention of excellent blood pressure (or it was before she started) continued weight loss, albeit only 2 kg since previous view, and lower cholesterol!

I am calm now.

11. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

On holiday in Cornwall, Padstow. No exercise for last 7 days. Great holiday, but really looking forward to getting back in gym and getting all the excess testosterone out of my system. Roll on Sunday. How sad am I ?:):):)

• Like Like x 1
  12. fletchweb

fletchweb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've been trying to increase my physical activity during work days when I don;t have as much time to do the kinds of recreational physical activity that I prefer. So I now do stairs instead of elevators (I'm only 55 so I refuse to use an elevator) and did a stair count yesterday - it looks like, on average, I climb 500 stairs a day - it's remarkable how much of a difference it has been making. Looking forward to doing some cycling this weekend and if the Jelly Fish aren't that bad maybe some snorkeling. I just love summer .....

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook