Regular weekly hypo

Switch2501

Looking for some suggestions here.

Every Wednesday at approximately 3-4:30 I have low blood glucose. Like clockwork.
Now... I'm a creature of habit, I have the same thing for lunch every week (chicken and chorizo wrap from Tesco, packet of monster munch and a cadburys whisper.)

I've started discounting the carbs from the chocolate when I calculate my insulin but I'm still dripping low.
Anyone got any suggestions?

I'm type 1 and on a pump if that helps...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

erinkirby

Is there anything you do differently on a Wednesday that you don't normally do during the rest of the week? Anything that involves more exercise? Anything stressful, or less stressful than normal? Anything that involves something that is mentally challenging?

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Good point Erin, what do you eat on other days? Can you dose less on wednesdays? Have a think, do you have a weekly work/domestic commitment? Do you wander round town at your lunchbreak, skip breakfast? All and many more things can be a factor! What's different on wednesday? Many things can bring it on! Weekly meeting work/home, reports, longer hours? You'll have to provide some inpit I'm afraid! Weekly shop? Without info, as a novice 'no one' can diagnose you. What's the step-change in your sequence! Eat earlier, go to gym? I am sadly weeing into the wind! What's the trigger? On wednesdays I have my anti_coag appointment for example. A source of much stress in my life.

Switch2501

Wednesday is team meeting day, I spend am hour or so from 1-2:30ish in meetings.

I never skip breakfast and apart from the meeting that's the only thing I do different in the week.

Now I might be wrong but in times of stress wouldn't the stress hormones etc not try and dump glucose in to your system from the liver? In that case wouldn't it go up rather than down?

Good thinking though peeps!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Reduce the insulin further Switch, failing that pre-empt the hypo by having a snack an hour before.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Switch2501 said:
Wednesday is team meeting day, I spend am hour or so from 1-2:30ish in meetings.

I never skip breakfast and apart from the meeting that's the only thing I do different in the week.

Now I might be wrong but in times of stress wouldn't the stress hormones etc not try and dump glucose in to your system from the liver? In that case wouldn't it go up rather than down?

Good thinking though peeps!

Stress and mental stimulation can lower levels in some folks too.
Hope you get it sorted soon.
Angie

Switch2501

Ok so here's my plan, gonna drop my basal rate by .1 during the day from 11;30 till about 5 and see where that gets me.

I'll report back in a few weeks...
I feel some tweeting coming on...

erinkirby

I didn't realise until I read Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner (recommended on this website by many forum users!) that mental stimulation can cause hypos. Anything from doing your weekly shop, to concentrating in a meeting, to doing sudoku puzzles can evidently lower our blood sugar levels. So yes, maybe your weekly meeting is what is causing the hypos. Definitely worth lowering your bolus as you have suggested and see if it helps.

Please do report back, it will be interesting to hear if you've cracked it!

iHs

If this was me, I would just eat a couple of boiled sweets before going in the meeting and then my basal rates are not mucked up.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
You could always have a small non-diet glass of pop around 1 o'clock. If you have it every week at the same time hasn't something like this occurred to you before? Hypos shouldn't be a regular occurance and should be the exception rather than the rule. Look after yourself, mate. Maybe chuck a few more carbs into the mix at brekkie, but do something to counter the sugar crash on wednesday. Make a start from this wednesday morning and hopefully you can prevent this happening. If it works, set a reminder in your phone to occur on wednesday mornings. Good luck amigo! This has to be put right, soonest :)

A

Anonymous

martwolves said:
You could always have a small non-diet glass of pop around 1 o'clock. If you have it every week at the same time hasn't something like this occurred to you before? Hypos shouldn't be a regular occurance and should be the exception rather than the rule. Look after yourself, mate. Maybe chuck a few more carbs into the mix at brekkie, but do something to counter the sugar crash on wednesday. Make a start from this wednesday morning and hopefully you can prevent this happening. If it works, set a reminder in your phone to occur on wednesday mornings. Good luck amigo! This has to be put right, soonest :)

I'm quite enjoying all this. Are you?

equipoise

Gezzathorpe what is your problem? Are you on something? Or are you just very bored? If you don't have anything to contribute to a topic, can't you just ignore it?

A

Anonymous

equipoise said:
Gezzathorpe what is your problem? Are you on something? Or are you just very bored? If you don't have anything to contribute to a topic, can't you just ignore it?

Naahh! I'm like a terrier. Once I get my teeth in there's no letting go. Must get back to the audit trail.... byyeee

A

Anonymous

gezzathorpe said:
equipoise said:

Naahh! I'm like a terrier. Once I get my teeth in there's no letting go. Must get back to the audit trail.... byyeee

Whompa's a bit quiet. Probably at the off-licence?

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Enjoying someone suffering weekly hypos? Not really.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Again, let us know wednesdays reults!

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
gezzathorpe said:
gezzathorpe said:
equipoise said:

Whompa's a bit quiet. Probably at the off-licence?

Shame on you! :evil:

Switch2501

So results after a few weeks

Started having a few sweets and what not during these meetings and it seems to have knocked these low blood sugars later in to the evening (or just around meal time) which works for me :)

Also noticed a change in levels since its not as warm which is nice :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to see things moving in the right direction! Next step is to eliminate the low completely :)