Related to diabetes ?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know if I am in the right place here. I just had a liver scan and kidney scan (ultra sound) and the radiologist told me that he could see the fatty infiltration that was diagnosed some years ago in my liver but he didn't think it looked any worse (that's good) but he also said that one of my kidneys has a "double core". Actually, at the time I was concentrating on coping with the pain caused by all the digging around with the scanner head so I didn't ask him to expand on the subject. I have no idea when I might see the consultant who probably could explain to me. My question is - has this fatty liver been caused by the diabetes or perhaps by the SR Metformin I've been on for years or is is just incidental? Surely a medication which acts on the liver could cause some unwanted side effects? Actually does anyone know what on earth a kidney with a "double core" is (presumably some genetic issue) and if diabetes has any effect on it? I wonder if my kidney is more (or less) efficient because of this, or is it completely irrelevant.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fatty liver is not so much "caused by" T2 diabetes as being the (physiological) "cause of" T2 diabetes. And the good news is that it might be reversible. Check the Newcastle Diet threads.

Reactions: 3 people