Relation between running and blood sugar

luca74ita

Hello,
I'm type 1 for almost 40 years, I have good values and my last hba1c value was 5.5.
I'm a long distance runner for several years (between 10km and 21km), but for a few months I have noticed that during my training my blood sugar rises considerably, on average of 50/60 units within 50 minutes of running but often even more. Of course I run to empty stomach and the last meal is done at least 4 hours before training.
Yestaerday as ex: before exercise, the blood sugar was 103, after about 1 hour of running the blood sugar was 183. There is any relation between the running and blood sugar value? Usually should happen the opposite.

Thanks.

Luca

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @luca74ita , I always always get a rise from running, and I run first thing in the morning before breakfast, but I always have some insulin to ward off the inevitable rise in my blood glucose.

I don't go much of a distance - I run for half an hour / 5km ish.

This morning I was 6.1mmol/l before setting off. Before I set off I had 0.6u Novorapid (I use a pump) and when I got home I was 9.0. So that's WITH insulin on board.

Normally I would have 0.75u in preparation for my run, but this morning I was alone and didn't want to take any chances with hypos. Turns out I should have had that extra 0.15u!

:)

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I even get a small rise with just walking . Yesterday walked for 1km pre walk 4.4 post walk 4.8.

D

Deleted Account

The affect of any exercise on my BG depends on how much effort I feel I am putting in which I guess relates to how much stress I have.
Walking around town for hours can have no impact. Cycling up a steep mountain can rise my BG. Running on the flat for 30 minutes will lower my BG.

Have you taken a look at www.runsweet.com? This is a great reference for any sport with diabetes.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the same, as soon as I get back from a run my sugars will rise. I now pre-empt this with a one unit does of QA insulin as soon as I get back. I don't feel comfortable running with insulin on board as I'm a bit worried about hypos, but if I do my shot as soon as I'm in the door it seems to work ok for me and I don't get a spike.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I sometimes also see a rise from running, sometimes I see a drop.
On Sunday I did around 10K with a start of just over 7.0. At the end I was going to run for a little bit longer but tested my blood and it was 3.7. First time I've had a hypo during a run.
This morning I tested before my run and it was 5.7. I panicked a wee bit and put a Temp Basal of 10% on, ate some Jelly babies and set off.
8.1K later it was 12.2 and now it is 15.7. My own fault but completely different experiences.