Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Sorry to be a bit stupid here, but can I ask you all a question about the ND? Is the assumption that it doesn't really matter where the calories come from (carbs,fats or protein) it is just how much you eat that is key? And that as long as the weight comes off that is all that counts?

I am very happy on lchf and am losing weight, but have tried a higher carb food twice since I got my metre. Both times it was not pretty.

I have ( just about) lost 15% of my starting weight and am clearly still t2. Not complaining, happy to be much healthier, but wonder if going vlc would have been better. I am still.overweight and will be still trying to lose weight and don't think its a good idea for me to add more carbs, even if I keep the total number of calories very low.

Sorry to be dense!!

It does seem to be that way - but having been on an LC way of eating for more than two years I can't bring myself to eat more carbs than I'm used to. The idea of me eating carbs is abit like someone with an allergy on purpose planning to eat the thing they are allergic to.

Aneladp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it very much depends on your ability to maintain what ever it was that took you into remission. I managed it for 15 years using a low carb diet but as time passed, I found I was no longer able to manage the fats associated with a low carb diet. That was okay for a while as I could still manage low carb using low fat products. Eventually though I developed an intolerance to milk and milk products. Switching to lactose free helped for a while but eventually, it got to the point where I can't tolerate more than 100ml of low fat lactose free milk or a 25g portion of cheese without it sending me straight to the bathroom. Now I'm finding I can't eat very much protein either, so it's become impossible to continue with a low carb diet. As a consequence, I've just found out that I'm no longer in remission. To make matters worse, I am allergic to some grains, including oats, so things like porridge, muesli and most multigrain breads are out of the question, so it looks very much like I'll no longer be able to manage through diet alone.