1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Renewing lance needles

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Robbieswan, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

They use them in hospitals, at my GP's and at the pathology shop when testing / harvesting blood. Good enough for them good enough for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Contralto

Contralto Other · Well-Known Member

I wash my hands soap and rinse with water and then dry them before a reading and only wipe the blood off after testing with part of an alcohol pad, partly to do something antibacterial. The amount of alcohol used to clean a lancet (which is then dried is very minimal, being on a needle

I realize I am a cheap out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Even your soft boiled/runny ones??:wideyed::D

Robbity

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Gannet

Gannet Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have pricked my finger countless times when sewing. I've never had an infection, so pricking a finger with a needle that was sterile to start with is less likely to cause problems. I change the needle when I think about it - about once a month if I remember.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Deanoh

Deanoh Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Everyone who's spoken to me about this suggests changing it after 4 uses, can't say that I've stuck to that though :p sometimes more, sometimes less, depending if I remember how many times I've used it.

6. TheBigNewt

TheBigNewt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I can go a pretty long time using the same one. I use it 'til it bounces off! Seriously never had an infection. Never owned an alcohol wipe. Soap and water sometimes.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook