Renewing provisional license

EngineerMe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all I have a quick question :)

Long story short, I applied for a provisional when I was 17, filled in all the diabetes forms etc but then never got round to actually learning to drive. :rolleyes: I stupidly let it expire after the 3 years, and now another 3 years later at 23 I do want to learn to drive...

Bit confused about what I need to send back. I do have the original license renewal forms they sent when it expired, but thought as they are a few years old they might not be current anymore so I've filled new versions of the D1 and DIAB1 instead.

I'm also not sure whether I need to send my current (expired) photocard back with these forms. I'd rather not be without my ID for a month or so!

Thanks for your help! :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @EngineerMe ,

I've never let my driving licence expire..
So guessing.
The way I see it You are within the 10 year? period with the photo ID (no need regarding having to update that.) & you have your expired licence with the number for DVLA's reference. It should still be on their records.... (Though expired.)
You haven't been denied a new licence on medical grounds. Just let the application for renewal slip.
So at a guess it's just a question of renewing your provisional licence to make it valid.. & filling in the medical questionare..

But I could be wrong? & you may need a fresh aplication & medical form. But it makes sense to me that your unique licence number & entitlements (or non entitlements?) should still be on record...

If you are concerned about not having an age ID regarding purchases of "age restricted" products during the reapplication process? (alcohol.)
All I know is regarding renewal I've never needed to send my old licence back. ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

I've never let my driving licence expire..
I have let my UK licence expire when I turned 70, this was when it was due for renewal. Could not be bothered with it anymore, as I can drive on my Qld. licence if I ever go back to the UK for a visit.

Reactions: Jaylee

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
so I've filled new versions of the D1 and DIAB1 instead.

That's all you need to do.

I'm also not sure whether I need to send my current (expired) photocard back with these forms. I'd rather not be without my ID for a month or so!

I recently renewed my licence and didn't send my old licence back, if they want it they'll request it.

Reactions: azure

EngineerMe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's great thank you all for your replies!

I'll get my forms sent off this week and hopefully finally start learning! :)

Reactions: Jaylee