Repeat prescriptions

stunewton78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - I'm wandering how easy other people find getting repeat insulin prescriptions.

I was diagnosed type 1 about 2 months ago, and so far the prescription process has been a nightmare - wrong test strips, given wrong piece of paper, prescription singular not repeat.....
I expected not to need to go into the surgery every time I need a prescription, so that I don't have to miss work.

Do I need to find a new GP or is it always a pain in the backside?!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi - I'm wandering how easy other people find getting repeat insulin prescriptions.

I was diagnosed type 1 about 2 months ago, and so far the prescription process has been a nightmare - wrong test strips, given wrong piece of paper, prescription singular not repeat.....
I expected not to need to go into the surgery every time I need a prescription, so that I don't have to miss work.

Do I need to find a new GP or is it always a pain in the backside?!
Perhaps write a letter to your GP outlining what you need and ask that it's put on repeat for you as no known cure for type 1 diabetes yet.
Have you applied for and got your exemption certificate? If not you need to sort it before you end up with a fine.

stunewton78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I've got the exemption certificate.

Do you have to go into the surgery to pick up the prescription each time you need more medicine, or can it be arranged by phone/online?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

Do you have to go into the surgery to pick up the prescription each time you need more medicine, or can it be arranged by phone/online?
I just order mine on line as and when needed then collect from the pharmacy of my choice.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I would say most gp surgeries do prescription requests over the phone and some will have the facility to do them on-line, best to check which are available with yours, alternatively some pharmacies will sort out your repeat for you, ask next time your in.

As to the wrong items and such, have a word with your hospital diabetes team and they will write to your Dr stating which items you need on repeat prescription for your diabetes.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I get my repeat through the chemists. I go in and order by ticking the box next to the items I want. However what I get to pick the next week can be a bit of a lottery. Whoever does the surgery bit needs retraining. Things appear than I've never been prescribed and other bits disappear as if by magic. The nice chemist owner who knows me by my first name (nice to not just be a face) has taken to double checking for me. He says my surgery is getting worse.
others-285.gif

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds like your surgery is pretty incompetent. Mine hardly ever makes a mistake and would crawl if it. I order my scripts and some appointments online; many/most cater for this now. As an alternatvive my local Lloyds will do it all for you but not a good idea if you have frequent changes to your prescription as things get out of sync. I would complain and even think about moving to another surgery that has online access

stunewton78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies - some stern words are needed I think!
And I'll look for a local surgery that has the online facility.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for the replies - some stern words are needed I think!
And I'll look for a local surgery that has the online facility.

Don't be so hasty, try searching for your gp surgery and if the website comes up click on prescriptions, it will say if you can order prescriptions on-line.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I believe that you have to register with your practice receptionist as an online patient to get your prescriptions online.

Best seeing your diabetic nurse with a list of stuff clearly written down. Go through the list with her.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get my repeat through the chemists. I go in and order by ticking the box next to the items I want. However what I get to pick the next week can be a bit of a lottery. Whoever does the surgery bit needs retraining. Things appear than I've never been prescribed and other bits disappear as if by magic. The nice chemist owner who knows me by my first name (nice to not just be a face) has taken to double checking for me. He says my surgery is getting worse.
View attachment 9626
I have the same issues with my surgery - they missed my husband's heart pills last time and when I asked for a prescription the receptionist said "but he's got enough to last him until the 15 Nov" but seemed surprised when I pointed out it was the 17 Nov! Whilst waiting for said prescription I found a questionaire about the surgery and how well it was doing - I enjoyed filing that in!!!

Reactions: 4 people

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My surgery used to take repeats over the phone but now have to fill in a daft form and post it through a letter box. There's one tiny shelf, one pen, never enough forms and a que of people waiting for it every time.
I also use boots to sort my repeats but they always end up missing something off so I have to go order it as an emergency ot something

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If people are having problems with prescriptions find out who your local PPG chairperson is and contact them. The PPG should be able to ask the practice to improve their prescription services.

Or write to your Practice Manager. You don't get struck off for a concern about getting a prescription!! All complaints at GP's have to be lovged and resolved. They have to record the levels of complaints to NHS England etc.

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
My insulin lasts me 17 days (5 pens run out after 17 days) and have to phone the surgery every fortnight. Why can't this script not be marked "DISPENSE EVERY TWO WEEKS" ? This to me is just more work for my GP.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My insulin lasts me 17 days (5 pens run out after 17 days) and have to phone the surgery every fortnight. Why can't this script not be marked "DISPENSE EVERY TWO WEEKS" ? This to me is just more work for my GP.

Then you need to see your diabetic nurse at the Practice and get enough supplied for 28days and a back up.

There is absolutely no reason to limit the quantity of your medicines to 17 days unless you are new to a medication, in which case you should get enough for 28 days and to be reviewed in that last week before your practice determines whether the drug is suitable to be prescribed on a repeat prescription.

Please go back to your DSN and ask to get a standard 28 day usage from the prescribed drugs if this is a long term medicine and not under review.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I've got an appointment with the DSN and Conultant soon, will be mentioning this. Thanks

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My chemist has a yearly script for my meds ... But they are heart med's not DB .. I just pick my meds up every two months .. So don't need to contact the Drs at all

PWilks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You should go in and chat with the surgery first. Ensure they can provide what you need and via an easy method. When I originally moved to the Preston area I ended up with a GP who wasn't willing to prescribe more than one box of 50 test strips per 28 days. Needless to say I transferred to another surgery promptly, as he was far less informed than my hospital consultant and also provider of my insulin pump. End of the day if you're not happy with something there are always options to pursue but I'm sure there are still bad eggs out there. My experience was 7 years ago FYI.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
My chemist now has a yearly repeat including the hard fought for strips! (I am T2 so it's a bit of a lottery as to whether you get them) as I have complained so much in last few months. I believe their screens light up in red the moment I ring or cross the threshold. The DNS refused to see me after the first time we met (**** you, you low carber, I will refer you to the hospital as a confounded trouble maker!) she also denied me strips but was overruled by the locum when I needed a blood test as I'd run out of my own strips and was so dizzy I couldn't stand and therefore go to work. DNS was furious! Ironically I keep bumping into her all over the place. She always glares at me and storms past. So far I have not fulfilled her prophecy of giving up, binge eating and piling on the pounds whilst sending my bs through the roof. Infact my bs is now at non diabetic levels, (except fasting where it's mostly prediabetic) my BP is 119/75 and my BP meds down to lowest dose and I've lost 4 stone in weight. Oh, and my trigs are 0.51. That'd be that **** LCHF diet! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::rolleyes:

Reactions: 6 people