Requirement of carb protein and fat

nataraj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
By following LCHF system how much of carb protein and saturated fat mono unsaturated and poly unsaturated fat required fora person. If the person do intermediate fast is it not effect his blood sugar level

A

Avocado Sevenfold

By following LCHF system how much of carb protein and saturated fat mono unsaturated and poly unsaturated fat required fora person. If the person do intermediate fast is it not effect his blood sugar level
Each person must find their own macronutrient ratios to suit their unique circumstances and goals. I could tell you what suits me, but it might not suit you, for example. The best advice I would offer is to test yourself to work out what is best for you. Good luck :)

Reactions: azure

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. In general keep the carbs down low enough to keep the BS in the good area and to avoid weight gain. Have good low-GI fibrous carbs where you can. Have enough proteins and fats to keep you feeling full. The arguments continue about saturated fats and fat deposits in the arteries. Many think that the fats you eat have little effect on your arteries as that is controlled by the liver but you need to form your own view on that. Just have a good mix of fat types and it doesn't have to be High Fat.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi @nataraj and welcome. LCHF stands for low carb, high fat, but really it should be low carb, moderate protein, high fat. Carbs are not essential macronutrients, so you choose a level to suit yourself, but zero would be OK. A very low carb (ketogenic) diet is less than 20g carbs/day; a low carb diet is around 40g/day, and some people choose 100 or so g/day. The recommended protein levels are around 0.8g proteins/kg target body weight, but opinion varies between 0.6 and 1.5. Select a level that suits your body, but if you are trying to lose weight or keep your blood glucose down, be careful as excess protein will be converted to glucose in your blood. Finally, eat as much fat as required to feel full so you are hungry and not tempted to snack. But obviously if you eat too much, you will put on weight - stop when you are no longer hungry.
Finally, make sure you have enough energy to be alert and active. You can find out the energy capacity of your diet by allowing 9kcal/g of fat and 4kcal/g of carbs and proteins. Make sure to keep your energy up as your body will go into starvation mode if you are not getting enough energy from your food and you will not lose weight but become lethargic instead.
Hope that helps.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest you avoid trans fats, but should not worry about saturated or unsaturated fats. Fat in what you eat does not clog up your arteries. You can cut out carbs as much as possible, but you will get some in vegetables. The body needs protein and fat, but has no daily requirement for carbs.

Intermittent fasting will lower blood glucose. I do it at the weekend by skipping breakfast and lunch. Yesterday my blood glucose was 7.0 at about 6:00 am, but had dropped to 5.3 by 14:00 pm.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Generally when we get diagnosed with T2D, it means we are unable to handle 75g glucose. So plan a meal that perhaps starts with 30-40g of carbs. Test after meals to see how different carbs affects you. That may be good enough to stabilize your glucose level, if not adjust accordingly till you get no more than 2 mmol increase after meal.

The rationale for eating higher proteins or fats is that they help to reduce hunger and they don't demand/stimulate as much insulin as carbs. In fact, it is only when circulating insulin is lowered that we are able to utilize fats as alternative energy source. So if we already have a fair amount of fats stored, we don't need to eat as much...we simply want to guide/re-enable our body to access the fats store more effectively by lowering the insulin level.

Reactions: AM1874 and nataraj

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a conundrum here I am a skinny type 2 I weigh under 7 stone I obviously need to eat lots of calories I can't eat any more carbs and not a lot more protein if any so the only thing that I can increase is fat so my diet is not balanced as in % I don't measure my food but eat to my meter and weekly weigh in My cholesterol levels came down to 5.3 from 7.9 when I went low carb and high fat
CAROL

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My diet is 80% healthy fat. Like avocado, olive oil, nuts, pumpkin seeds and mayo. I keep saturated fat as it raises my blood sugar. I eat 15% protein and 5% carbs. My carbs are all from avocado, above ground vlc veggies and nuts.
If I have half an avocado, half can of tuna with mayo and some chopped celery and onion that ratio is 80/15/5. And a perfectly healthy meal.

I stay in ketosis and love it there but my carbs can't exceed 20 or I gain weight and lose energy.

My advice is to find your protein level. Your ideal body weight in kg and eat .8-1g per day divided throughout the day. Then choose your carb level and fill the rest in with just enough fat to satisfy.

Protein requires almost as much insulin as carbs. It just goes slower.

Reactions: nataraj

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a conundrum here I am a skinny type 2 I weigh under 7 stone I obviously need to eat lots of calories I can't eat any more carbs and not a lot more protein if any so the only thing that I can increase is fat so my diet is not balanced as in % I don't measure my food but eat to my meter and weekly weigh in My cholesterol levels came down to 5.3 from 7.9 when I went low carb and high fat
CAROL
Hi. Are you sure you're not a Late onset T1 and not T2? Mis-diagnosis is common and GPs miss it. At least you are on insulin. Is there any reason why you can't have more protein?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not on insulin and have just had my metformin halved my BGS have come down considerably so late onset type 1doesn't seem likely
CAROL

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You will need to go into your profile and change it @carty . It says you are insulin dependent.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I view my profile it doesn't say that I am insulin dependant
CAROL

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can one of the moderators check this please I only come up with (now on 1metformin per day) Ta CAROL