Results Back

Bobbisoxs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi I'm new to type 2 and have just got my blood results from doctors wondered if anyone could help me with them please? -A1c level 7%, A1c level IFCC 53mmol/mol, serum alkaline phosphatase level 191 iu/L, serum gamma-glutamyl transferase level 69 iu/L all Fasting.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,

Don't panic. All of your numbers are currently out of the healthy range - however, not drastically so. if you are anything like most of the rest of us on here, you will find that if you adopt the low carb diet principles on here then you will soon see an improvement in the numbers. If you couple this with some exercise you will soon find you are feeling much better.

All of my figures were out of range too at the beginning and have got successively healthier with each subsequent test .

@daisy1 will be along shortly with some detailed advice, in the meantime read round the threads, look at the detail on testing your own blood sugars with a monitor, members will be along to advise you how to go about this.

Eating a low carb - unprocessed food lifestyle is a bit different from where you probably are today, but actually the food is great, you will feel much healthier and many of us are a lot better off since we fund out than we ever were before.
So welcome to a club no-one wants to be in, but this is THE place to be if you also want to beat it.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Bobbisoxs

Hello again Bobbisoxs. Have another look at the Basic Information which I posted for you on your other thread. The Low Carb Program should be especially useful for you (see link in my signature). Ask more questions when you need to and someone will help.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Bobbisoxs .. and welcome
Your numbers suggest that you are in the diabetic range but it is only your Doc who can confirm this and give you a diagnosis. Having said that, you have certainly made a good move coming here. Since joining this forum, the folks here have given me so much info, advice and support that I am now much more confident about the journey ahead. So ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need. It can all seem uphill to start with but, in my experience, it gets easier .. very quickly.

You will come across a lot of confusing and (sometimes) conflicting information but the key point to take on board is that managing and controlling your diabetes (or pre-diabetes) through exercise, diet and testing your blood glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I have tagged @daisy1 for you and I suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program in the information that she will soon be sending you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. together with the following Diet Doctor websites, which will give you all the info that you need on what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

It is important that you organise a meter and start testing your blood glucose levels and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98
For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. but there are no discount codes currently available

I recommend that you test before meals and then again two hours after you started to eat .. some folk also take a fasting blood glucose reading first thing in the morning. This testing pattern will enable you to monitor trends over time and to spot any foods that cause your blood sugar to "spike" or fall ouside the normal ranges. I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them

Hope this helps

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi I'm new to type 2 and have just got my blood results from doctors wondered if anyone could help me with them please? -A1c level 7%, A1c level IFCC 53mmol/mol, serum alkaline phosphatase level 191 iu/L, serum gamma-glutamyl transferase level 69 iu/L all Fasting.

Hi,

Your HbA1c of 53mmol/mol (7% in the old measurements) is in the diabetic range, but not too drastic. Mine was the same when I was diagnosed, many were much, much higher.

The alkaline phosphate is part of the liver function test and should be between 100 and 130.

The gamma-glutamyl transfer (GGT) should be under 65, so not at all drastic.

You should find that with a good carb reduction all these will improve.

Bobbisoxs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

Your HbA1c of 53mmol/mol (7% in the old measurements) is in the diabetic range, but not too drastic. Mine was the same when I was diagnosed, many were much, much higher.

The alkaline phosphate is part of the liver function test and should be between 100 and 130.

The gamma-glutamyl transfer (GGT) should be under 65, so not at all drastic.

You should find that with a good carb reduction all these will improve.
Morning, thanks for getting back to me, my doc as confirmed I have type 2 and has given me metformin 1 a day then from today 2 a day have already completely change my diet to, I have gallstones in bile duct to and am waiting for my scan so to be honest I could not eat a lot of my old diet anyway as is to painful to eat so have been eating homemade no carb soups, eggs salmon mashed veg etc, can you reverse type2 by diet and exercise alone? As pointed out my range results are not that high? Also meter to test should be here either today or tomoz, once again thank you.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning, thanks for getting back to me, my doc as confirmed I have type 2 and has given me metformin 1 a day then from today 2 a day have already completely change my diet to, I have gallstones in bile duct to and am waiting for my scan so to be honest I could not eat a lot of my old diet anyway as is to painful to eat so have been eating homemade no carb soups, eggs salmon mashed veg etc, can you reverse type2 by diet and exercise along?? As pointed out my range results are not that high? Also meter to test should be here either today or tomoz, once again thank you.

It seems like you have made a good start with your diet. :)

There are many threads on the forum about reversing T2 with diet and exercise. Have a search round to find some of them. It is certainly possible to return to non-diabetic blood glucose levels and your meter will help you with this.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Bobbisoxs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It seems like you have made a good start with your diet. :)

There are many threads on the forum about reversing T2 with diet and exercise. Have a search round to find some of them. It is certainly possible to return to non-diabetic blood glucose levels and your meter will help you with this.
Just done first test with tee 2 machine and says 3.1mmol/l what does this mean please

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just done first test with tee 2 machine and says 3.1mmol/l what does this mean please

It means your blood sugar is on the low side. However, you need to be organised with your testing for the scores to mean anything. Test immediately before you eat and then again 2 hours after your first bite. Keep a food diary of everything you eat and portion sizes, then record your levels alongside the food. You need to look at the actual rise from before to after and keep this rise under 2mmol/l, preferably less than this. The lower the better. If it is more than this there are too many carbs in that meal. After a while you will see patterns emerging that will show you which are your danger foods, which you need to reduce and which you need to eliminate. It sounds a phaff but it is worth the effort.

This will give you a guide, although these NHS recommendations are thought to be over generous
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Personally I try to keep all my levels between 4 and 7, but being human I don't always manage it!

Bobbisoxs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It means your blood sugar is on the low side. However, you need to be organised with your testing for the scores to mean anything. Test immediately before you eat and then again 2 hours after your first bite. Keep a food diary of everything you eat and portion sizes, then record your levels alongside the food. You need to look at the actual rise from before to after and keep this rise under 2mmol/l, preferably less than this. The lower the better. If it is more than this there are too many carbs in that meal. After a while you will see patterns emerging that will show you which are your danger foods, which you need to reduce and which you need to eliminate. It sounds a phaff but it is worth the effort.

This will give you a guide, although these NHS recommendations are thought to be over generous
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Personally I try to keep all my levels between 4 and 7, but being human I don't always manage it!
Thanks thought it would be low at min as not eat so just had some porridge and will test in two hours time , I had a feeling it would be low as it's so hard to eat at the min with my gallstones in bile duct as every time I eat it sets it of horrendously.