Results of Echocardiogram - understanding report prior to seeing Dr

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Following an echocardiogram on Tuesday I've received a letter in the post this morning with the cardiologists report. That was quick - I'm impressed!

I have a systolic murmur (due to hypertension I think, as it mentions this), normal LV dimensions (LV = left ventricle??) and good systolic function. "Right ventricular function was preserved. There were no significant valve lesions seen".

However, "there was mild concentric LVH". Having tried to Google I understand this stands for Left Ventricular Hypertrophy. But, links are mostly to American websites and I'm loathe to read too much and panic! But, I do need to know more.

Does anyone have this or know anything about it or the implications please? I'm going to make an appointment to see my Dr to discuss further now I have the report, but any info in the meantime will help prepare me. Is it something that I'll need medication for to keep under control for example?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Copied from bloodpressureuk.org

What is "left ventricular hypertrophy" (LVH)?
The right and left sides of your heart do different jobs. The right side takes in blood that has travelled round the body and pumps it to the lungs. From here, the blood enters the left side of the heart from where it is pumped all round your body.

Because the left side of the heart has to work harder to get blood round your body, it is usually this side that becomes enlarged when your blood pressure is too high. This is sometimes called "left ventricular hypertrophy" or "LVH" for short. In other words, it is another name for an enlarged heart.

Is an enlarged heart serious?
People with high blood pressure and an enlarged left side of the heart have four times the risk of a heart attack than someone with the same blood pressure but a normal-sized heart.

Similarly, people with thickened left heart muscles have 12 times the risk of a stroke, and are more likely to have irregular heartbeats (arrhythmias).

How is it detected?
If your doctor thinks you may have an enlarged heart muscle, they may suggest that you have an electrocardiogram (ECG) to check if your heart is working properly. This test measures electrical signals in the heart, and can detect areas of thickened muscle.

If the results of the ECG are not clear, other tests such as an echocardiogram or X-ray can produce images of your heart to check for any enlargement.

Can an enlarged heart be treated?
An enlarged heart can be treated and, for some people, it is possible to reduce the enlarged area over time.

Many of the medicines used to treat high blood pressure will also reduce heart muscle size if it is enlarged. In particular, ACE inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers can be very effective

Reactions: ickihun

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@catinahat - thank you very much, I really appreciate this. It's also written in easy to understand language ;)

I've now also taking a diuretic as although my BP has come down from quite a high level, my systolic BP is on the high side and I have some problems and fluid retention in my legs. Fingers crossed the meds do their job!

Reactions: catinahat