Retinopathy and vitreous bleeds

Rebecca818

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I am suffering from diabetic retinopathy and had a vitreous bleed that appears to be dispersing
However my floaters in that eye are not getting better in fact seem to have dropped into my vision more
Will they fade and clear over time as loath to go back to eye casualty as seem to have spend a lot of my time at the hospital
Obviously worried as just had a vitrectomy in my other eye
Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tagging @noblehead for you as he has good information about retinopathy.

I don't know very much, but I send you my best wishes. Could you give the eye people a call to put your mind at rest?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Rebecca818

I know when my retinopathy was active and developed to the Prolifertive Stage my own Ophthalmologist told me if I was ever concerned about any changes to my eyes I had to contact the clinic or go to A&E where the on-call Ophthalmologist would be called, so Yes I would contact the Ophthalmology Clinic and seek advice, if anything it may put your mind at rest if there's no cause for concern.

The blood (provided there's no further bleeds) should be reabsorbed by the body but it can take weeks so try not to despair, but again I would urge you to contact the clinic, but here's some great information on vitreous haemorrhages which I hope you find useful:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/vitreous_hemorrhage.html

Best wishes and let us know how you get on.

Reactions: azure

Rebecca818

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for that
Think my eye is still having small bleeds hence
floaters but the body of blood is looking smaller
I've got an appointment in just over a weeks time with my consultant so unless it gets dramatically worse I going to wait until then.

victoria21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Mine have gradually almost been reabsorbed over time as Noblehead states, time does vary though and can be frustrating.

My surgeon told me to sleep upright to let the bigger bleeds settle quicker. Saying that, it's one of the hardest things over tried to do.
I shuffle down a lot in bed and end up flat again. Tried sleeping on the sofa for a couple of weeks and it really worked well but the disturbed sleep turned me into a nervous emotional wreck!
When it's bad now, I do a night on sofa then a night in bed for a bit.
Unless anyone has any pearls of wisdom on sleeping upright in bed, that would be my best advice!