Retinopathy in pregnancy

Fliss_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm type 1 and 30 weeks tomorrow with my little boy: my HBa1C was slightly too high when I conceived-60- but has come down steadily and is now 50. My little boy was perfect at my 26 week growth scan, and a 'normal' size. There were no visible malformations either.

Therefore I was feeling quite contended and felt all was going well, however today I had my third trimester eye screening and have been told I have 'moderate' stages of retinopathy in my right eye. I have had pre-proliferative retinopathy for the last year, which is no surprise as I've had type 1 for over 20 years now. However I also know retinopathy can rapidly increase in severity with pregnancy.

I've been told I'll have another appointment in 3 months for my eyes, which us worrying me as my due date is potentially in 8 weeks time depending on when I'm induced. I'm absolutely terrified my vision will deteriorate rapidly before I give birth- or after.

I'm at the antenatal clinic at the hospital on Monday seeing my diabetes team, so hopefully they'll put my mind at ease, but I just wondered if anyone had been in my position and could offer any advice?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Reactions: azure

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know i'm replying to a old post but dont get much chance to catch up on the forum!

I'm at 24 weeks and just been told i have pre-proliferative retinopathy in one eye and maculopathy in the other. I have an appointment in 4 weeks with a doctor to discuss treatment or if they are just going to watch it. I know the feeling, wondering if my eyes will go worse before my appt in 4 weeks, i'm sure i can tell the difference in my vision already! So what i was wondering is are treatments safe for the baby?....guess they will tell me at the appointment but dosen't help keep wondering! Never had any eye problems besides background retinopathy so worries me a bit....

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
After quick research on treatment i'm going to ask my diabetes team next week when i go there if waiting 4 weeks is ok...hoping they will be able to reassure me. Just wondered if you should inquire as well, 3 months seems like a long time to have the next scan if there is advancements of retinopathy

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/pregnancy.htm
Laser
Laser is very effective in slowing retinopathy, and MUST NOT BE DELAYED until after the pregnancy. Eyes can deteriorate in a week, and bleed very quickly (a vitreous haemorrhage). Often many laser sessions are needed. So with 1000 laser burns in each eye per session, six sessions or more may be needed, per eye. Sessions may be needed on consecutive days. (Whereas if not pregnant much longer gaps between laser sessions may be fine.)

Anti-VEGF drugs are generally not used as it is not certain they are safe.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just sending you my love and best wishes @hboyt

And thank you for posting that helpful info for other ladies. XX

doolsx12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had retinopathy during pregnancy. I was monitored very closely and had a healthy little boy. My last laser surgery was the December after he was born. He is 3 now. My eyes got better a couple of moths after he was born. Hope this helps you. It is very worrying I know.

Fliss_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately I had a haemorrhage yesterday, so my vision in my right eye is blurry and distorted. I'm quite upset that i want given laser treatment when this was first detected a month ago, I'm sure the bleed could have been avoided: the previous post seems to support this. I've now been told I'll need the injection in my eye as treatment. My little boy us being induced on Thursday, and midwife has advised that it'll be epidural and Ventouse.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sorry to hear you had a bleed @Fliss_S Im going to,tag @noblehead and @himtoo as they know about eyes.

I'm presuming the Ventouse is so you don't have to push so much?

Good luck with the induction. I hope it all goes as smoothly as possible for you XXX

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately I had a haemorrhage yesterday, so my vision in my right eye is blurry and distorted. I'm quite upset that i want given laser treatment when this was first detected a month ago, I'm sure the bleed could have been avoided: the previous post seems to support this. I've now been told I'll need the injection in my eye as treatment. My little boy us being induced on Thursday, and midwife has advised that it'll be epidural and Ventouse.

Sorry to hear this @Fliss_S , I've no experience of Anti-VEGF drugs (only had laser surgery ) but I know himtoo has who has already been tagged, hopefully soon after the birth of your son they'll commence the treatment. Best wishes for Thursday.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi lovely @Fliss_S :)
really sorry to hear you are having problems with your eyes during your pregnancy .
things are so advanced these days with eyes that you will be ok over time ( I know scary right now )

I have had laser a couple of times and injections and my eyes are good !! ( T1D for 45 years )-- still driving for sure and still read books like a swot !! LOL

be well x and good luck with your new baby xx

saruhbeau

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your eyes. It is quite common I think, not that that makes it any less worrying or horrible.

I'm 16 weeks and I had severe pre-proliferative retinopathy before I got pregnant, and maculopathy too. I was advised to wait for it to stablise but I got pregnant kind of unexpectedly (sooner than I'd planned!)

I only found out a week ago and I have had an extra eye screen already even though I see hospital for it. My eyes are very blurry and I'm just anxiously waiting for the results.

Good luck with your induction today! How exciting. Hopefully your eyes will settle down with the injections and also after having the baby. Joys of diabetes!x