Retinopathy

TB99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another little post more for myself just getting feelings out and seeing them in front of me to deal with them better.

Anyway for the last 2 years I've been told I have early signs of retinopathy, 2 years ago was told with better control it'll disappear and this year same again. The general eye screening concluded I have no loss of vision in fact quite a bit above average. However I've come to the conclusion that this is my final warning before more serious health issues arise.

My questions are that how bad does your control have to be to become blind. My hba1c has been above 8 for the past 4 years only once above ten which was 10.1. Control has been better recently but how long could I go on before it becomes more serious?

Also how common is retinopathy?considering I've had diabetes for 17 years without issues for 15 i think it could be worse But I do fully realise how serious it can be if I don't take this seriously. Anyway overall question I'm aiming at is how bad does blood control have to be before it really affects your sight to the point of impaired vision

Thanks

Reactions: himtoo and KezG

TB99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I said a little post it was more a novel I do apologise for the length of this

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @TB99, Background retinopathy is relatively common. I've had it for a long time (eight or so years) and it's been stable with decent glucose levels. @noblehead and @himtoo also have experience of retinopathy.

I think it's fair to say that blindness due to T1 is a much rarer occurrence these days, especially if you look after yourself properly, which it sounds as though you've made the decision to do.

Reactions: col101 and KezG

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
thanks @tim2000s

Hi @TB99
I've been T1D for 44 years , retinopathy for 26 years , laser in both eyes back in 2002 and again in 2012
I have some maculopathy in my left eye which has caused a slight deterioration in my central vision , but the right eye is still perfect , I wear glasses to drive .

I would say that there are no guarantees when it comes to D complications , but I have had pretty good control for as long as I can remember with HbA1c's in the range 5.7- 6.6 %.
I feel as though I have done pretty well all things considered, but I do actively manage myself every day ( LOL no days off for good behaviour):)

Dark Horse

Have a read of this page:- http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/prevention/hba1c_and_retinopathy.htm#rel It discusses the relationship between HbA1c and retinopathy. Maintaining a good HbA1c reduces the risk of retinopathy progression but maintaining a low blood pressure is also important.

The incidence of sight-loss in diabetics due to diabetic retinopathy is falling in the UK which is thought to be due to the introduction of diabetic eye screening. Early detection through screening allows treatment at the most effective time which is before symptoms develop. There has also been an increase in available treatments.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks @tim2000s

Hi @TB99
I've been T1D for 44 years , retinopathy for 26 years , laser in both eyes back in 2002 and again in 2012
I have some maculopathy in my left eye which has caused a slight deterioration in my central vision , but the right eye is still perfect , I wear glasses to drive .

I would say that there are no guarantees when it comes to D complications , but I have had pretty good control for as long as I can remember with HbA1c's in the range 5.7- 6.6 %.
I feel as though I have done pretty well all things considered, but I do actively manage myself every day ( LOL no days off for good behaviour):)
Thanks for the link really interesting. Have some macular oedema and looking to reduce risk.
Have a read of this page:- http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/prevention/hba1c_and_retinopathy.htm#rel It discusses the relationship between HbA1c and retinopathy. Maintaining a good HbA1c reduces the risk of retinopathy progression but maintaining a low blood pressure is also important.

The incidence of sight-loss in diabetics due to diabetic retinopathy is falling in the UK which is thought to be due to the introduction of diabetic eye screening. Early detection through screening allows treatment at the most effective time which is before symptoms develop. There has also been an increase in available treatments.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My questions are that how bad does your control have to be to become blind. My hba1c has been above 8 for the past 4 years only once above ten which was 10.1. Control has been better recently but how long could I go on before it becomes more serious?

I'm afraid no one could give you a definite answer to that question about the progression of the condition, but reducing your HbA1c gradually over a longer period of time is beneficial when someone has diabetic retinopathy rather than sudden tightening of bg control (which can cause the condition to progress) as the following explains:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/retinopathyprogression.htm

I know when my own background retinopathy started to progress I was advised by the Ophthalmologist to get my HbA1c down to around 7 or below (I think at the time it was just above 8).

Also how common is retinopathy?considering I've had diabetes for 17 years without issues for 15 i think it could be worse But I do fully realise how serious it can be if I don't take this seriously. Anyway overall question I'm aiming at is how bad does blood control have to be before it really affects your sight to the point of impaired vision

Some people no matter how long they have diabetes can escape diabetes realted complications like retinopathy, if you Google the Joslin 50 you will see find that some type 1's who have lived with the condition for 50+years have escaped complications, not all but some lucky few have. I've read that after 20 years of diabetes it's more common to see background changes develop in the eyes, but logically thinking much will depend on how well the diabetes has been controlled over this period as to who develops complications and who doesn't.

My only advice is to discuss things with your Ophthalmologist and Diabetes Consultant if unsure how to go about lowering your HbA1c, but also keep a close eye on your bp and cholesterol levels as its important to keep these under control when you someone has diabetic retinopathy.