Reversed Diabetes

5freebie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A year ago at 68 I had the frightening experience of losing my sight within a short space of time,
but no other symptoms, following a blood test it was discovered my sugar levels were extremely
high for type 2, I was not massively overweight, but it really motivated me to do something to
change my lifestyle.
I came home threw out everything that had a hint of excessive sugar and really watched
my diet and food ingredients when shopping
As I have osteoporosis in my knees I was only able to do short walks, so I knew any changes
were going to be by diet.
I took a 20min walk each morning and I love to cook so all my cake and baking recipes now
were scrutinised and sugar substitutes low fats etc were used in order to adapt them.
My hubby says he never noticed the difference and they still taste as good, I lost just over
1 stone and my hubby has also slimmed down on the new regime, as his family have a history
of diabetes it's all for the good.
Within 3 months, my eyesight was improving, within 6months it was back to normal which was a
huge relief as the ophthalmologist told me they had originally changed by 6 stages.
9 months later I was off gliclazide and now a year later metformin also stopped.
I no longer take any medication and have astounded my diabetic nurse who never thought I
could bring my levels down so quickly let alone reverse them to within the lowest levels of normal,
just mainly by diet alone.
So to anyone just starting with diabetes, it is a confusing time at the beginning but with a little
effort and thought it can be resolved an I hope like me you.
I will keep up the good work and continue with my cooking regime which is far easier than I expected
and trust that my next blood test shows I am keeping up the good work

Reactions: 8 people

DanteNXS

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Health issues, uneducated doctors, and reality TV
A year ago at 68 I had the frightening experience of losing my sight within a short space of time,
but no other symptoms, following a blood test it was discovered my sugar levels were extremely
high for type 2, I was not massively overweight, but it really motivated me to do something to
change my lifestyle.
I came home threw out everything that had a hint of excessive sugar and really watched
my diet and food ingredients when shopping
As I have osteoporosis in my knees I was only able to do short walks, so I knew any changes
were going to be by diet.
I took a 20min walk each morning and I love to cook so all my cake and baking recipes now
were scrutinised and sugar substitutes low fats etc were used in order to adapt them.
My hubby says he never noticed the difference and they still taste as good, I lost just over
1 stone and my hubby has also slimmed down on the new regime, as his family have a history
of diabetes it's all for the good.
Within 3 months, my eyesight was improving, within 6months it was back to normal which was a
huge relief as the ophthalmologist told me they had originally changed by 6 stages.
9 months later I was off gliclazide and now a year later metformin also stopped.
I no longer take any medication and have astounded my diabetic nurse who never thought I
could bring my levels down so quickly let alone reverse them to within the lowest levels of normal,
So to anyone just starting with diabetes, it is a confusing time at the beginning but with a little
effort and thought it can be resolved an I hope like me you.
I will keep up the good work and continue with my cooking regime which is far easier than I expected
and trust that my next blood test shows I am keeping up the good work

That is very great and inspiring news. Do you mind telling me what type of diet you are on? LCHF, vegan, ...?

Reactions: 3 people

Dorothy P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi 5freebe,
Congratulations, I too am 68, have been diabetic for 12 years. My dad was so I just accepted it. I read Dr Mosleys book -Blood sugar diet and decided to take action. I too like baking but have decided everyone else can eat the cakes. I have lost one and half stone in the last 3 months. I have taken up walking and usually do 6-8 miles 2-3 times a week. My blood sugars quickly dropped when I cut out the carbs and when I told my GP what I was doing he was not excited and said it was not something they would advocate, but he didn't tell me not to as he could see the blood sugars were coming down. I stopped the metforman and am waiting till the end of the month to get a Hba1c My blood sugars have been higher than I want , -mostly within normal levels, but I'm sticking with it. My family think I've lost enough weight but encourage me to see it through. I do miss the snacks though!

Reactions: 4 people

5freebie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That is very great and inspiring news. Do you mind telling me what type of diet you are on? LCHF, vegan, ...?
I am not on a diet I adapted my normal foods as I usually cook my own meals not shop bought,
I have never eaten large plates of food so portion size wasn't a problem.
I just cut out natural sugar in all my cakes recipes etc looked for the lowest fats suitable for cooking
and any alternatives I could use I did, I only use semi/skimmed milk and sweeteners in tea,this may not suit everyone if your not a cook from scratch person but it worked for me and I have maintained my weight level.
I still get to enjoy a small slice of cake without feeling guilty and know exactly what's in the foods I cook.

5freebie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi 5freebe,
Congratulations, I too am 68, have been diabetic for 12 years. My dad was so I just accepted it. I read Dr Mosleys book -Blood sugar diet and decided to take action. I too like baking but have decided everyone else can eat the cakes. I have lost one and half stone in the last 3 months. I have taken up walking and usually do 6-8 miles 2-3 times a week. My blood sugars quickly dropped when I cut out the carbs and when I told my GP what I was doing he was not excited and said it was not something they would advocate, but he didn't tell me not to as he could see the blood sugars were coming down. I stopped the metforman and am waiting till the end of the month to get a Hba1c My blood sugars have been higher than I want , -mostly within normal levels, but I'm sticking with it. My family think I've lost enough weight but encourage me to see it through. I do miss the snacks though!
Hi 5freebe,
Well done you, I must admit that hubby gets to eat most of the things I make, but we do have slightly
different food tastes so he eats most things where I am a bit more selective

Reactions: 2 people

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I do miss the snacks though!

You just need to rethink what forms a snack, or allow yourself a treat, but exercise it off. I'm on a Low Carb / High Fat diet, so have one of those little cheese portions or some nuts for a snack and Pork Scratchings for a treat. If I'm doing exercise, like the 30 mile cycle ride I've just done I let myself have some high carb thing, like toast and jam, or an ice-cream and it doesn't affect my blood glucose levels, because I'm burning the carbs as quickly as they're turned to glucose.

adriangoatseye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Banks
Hi 5freebe,

I am not 68 but 48. However, I can direct to your post exactly. I have come down just over one and a half stone over the last 3 months and life feels better. I was not actually diagnosed with diabetes but that is only because my second blodd test came in at 47 not 48 or above. My first was 51. This was all only picked up because I was going for a small op and they took blood and urine samples at pre-op. Those samples were probably far more important than the op itself. I have not tested anything but will go back and see what my Hba1C is at some point. I don't know if I am in for disappointment or elation but I will say, again, that I feel much better at 13st 7lbs than I did at 15st 3lbs.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Congratulations on a fantastic effort to achieve what you have done. This is one of my favourite forums as it shows what is possible with some determination and common sense. It is really inspiring! Well Done!
Cheers

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi 5freebe,
Well Done Dorothy!! It is a great effort and shows that if you taken action you get results. Congratulations and good luck with the upcoming HbA1c let us know the results
Cheers

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your results they are amazing. Whatever you are doing is certainly working for you. As you say it may not suit everyone the way you do it but that is what it is all about finding out what suits us personally there is no one way to suit all you have found your way and it works for you so keep it up

5freebie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done on your results they are amazing. Whatever you are doing is certainly working for you. As you say it may not suit everyone the way you do it but that is what it is all about finding out what suits us personally there is no one way to suit all you have found your way and it works for you so keep it up
Thanks, it was hard work at first being such a complete change, but now it is so easy and being able to still
cook the things we liked with adaptions which hasn't harmed the results is great, and more importantly
is benefitting both of us, and I am an avid believer in eating what you like within reason with slight changes,
as otherwise you will get fed up eating what you don't enjoy as people do on diets.