Reversing nerve damage

desidiabulum

Lucky me -- I had permanently numb patches in my feet/heel for many years, but after diagnosis of severe B12 deficiency and a few years of treatment I have completely regained all my feeling.
Of course, B12 is not diabetes, and I am lucky enough so far not to have nerve damage caused by diabetes, but I have occasionally come across reports of people who have been able to at least partially reverse nerve damage caused by diabetes (mostly through very tight control of BG numbers). Is there anyone on the forum who can report even partial reversal of nerve damage?

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read on this forum that use of metformin can cause B12 deficiency.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have read on this forum that use of metformin can cause B12 deficiency.
Yes it can, I have read that this can happen after taking Metformin for 3 years or more.

desidiabulum

Yes it can, I have read that this can happen after taking Metformin for 3 years or more.
That is true, but I'm not on metformin and my B12 deficiency long pre-dated Diabetes treatment.
I was more curious about people who have achieved partial reversal of nerve damage. Doctors rightly play down the odds of this happening, but I know that it can and does happen for some people using tight BG control, and I thought it would be a good idea to urge those people to share their stories here -- it might help to encourage diabetics struggling with early nerve damage to keep up good control.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
That is true, but I'm not on metformin and my B12 deficiency long pre-dated Diabetes treatment.
I was more curious about people who have achieved partial reversal of nerve damage. Doctors rightly play down the odds of this happening, but I know that it can and does happen for some people using tight BG control, and I thought it would be a good idea to urge those people to share their stories here -- it might help to encourage diabetics struggling with early nerve damage to keep up good control.
I hope you get some good responses. I was just responding to the post above mine about metformin.