Reversing Pre Diabates

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what is LCHF or CVD?
LCHF means Low Carbohydrate High Fat way of eating. CVD means Cardio Vascular Disease.

LCHF means reducing carbohydrates and not believing all the low fat cobblers. Fat will not hurt you and if you are diabetic you have lost the ability to process carbohydrates to a greater or lesser degree anyway.

EDIT: What is a diabetic plate method?

Reactions: callyandy

NewlyPreDiabetic

diabetic plate method is 1/4 starch, 1/4 protein, and 1/2 non starchy vegetables. It is a 9 inch plate. My mom lowered her prediabetic reading from 105 down to 83 which is normal.

Does everybody here agree that LCHF is better? Thanks soooo much for your guys replies.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
diabetic plate method is 1/4 starch, 1/4 protein, and 1/2 non starchy vegetables. It is a 9 inch plate. My mom lowered her prediabetic reading from 105 down to 83 which is normal.

Does everybody here agree that LCHF is better? Thanks soooo much for your guys replies.
That plate seems far too high in starch for a diabetic and closer to the Healthy Eating Guide which some people blame for making the diabetic population worse.

Can you use it to reverse your diabetes? No, in my opinion. Your Mom must have been eating far far too much in carbohydrates to have seen such an improvement using your diabetic plate.

NewlyPreDiabetic

Actually she told she eats healthy and follows macros that her doctor gave her. But the plate method was introduced to her by her doctor as well. I don't know what she is using but it's not LCHF. But I'm not claiming it doesn't work just trying to ask the right questions and get as educated as I can :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only way to be sure if it works is to test your blood glucose levels after eating - preferably at about 1 hour afterwards to catch the likely highest reading. If the reading is under 7.8mmol then the risk of damage is minimal. But unless you measure, you're unlikely to know whether that much starch works for you or not.

NewlyPreDiabetic

my blood glucose monitor seems to give me different results. Is this because I'm in the U.S.? Mine gave me a reading of 112 today before eating and when I woke up this morning. I was at 100 when waking up before eating 4 days ago and then had a tacos which brought it up to 112.

Typically it is in the normal range after eating (I mean not even prediabetic, below 100). However after waking up in the morning after a 8 to 10 hour fast it is back up to 112. It's been this way for the last 4 days.

EDIT: I took the BGL 2 hours after a meal not 1 hour though. I wll try it after 1 hour and see the results.

Last edited:

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I tried alsorts of diets for years because I am insulin resistant due to polycystic ovarian syndrome. I have had a high risk of type 2for years. By following NHS guidelines I have now tipped into type2. I have started lchf not as extremely as some and have lost 10lbs which reduces insulin resistance and dropped my Hba1c from 53 diabetic to 47 just prediabetic in 2 months. I will always be diabetic but if I get control I won't suffer the consequences of the condition. Still working at it. There was an article on the front of yesterday Sunday express newspaper about professor Sarah Hallberg. It is all about reversing. Look her up on the forum. Her video is well worth watching and will explain why some health care professionals are beginning to challenge the current guidelines. Even the last president of the World heart Federation said the guidelines for low fat are based on fudged data. In straight talk WRONG. Read lots and take your time deciding what will work for you.

NewlyPreDiabetic

Hi
I tried alsorts of diets for years because I am insulin resistant due to polycystic ovarian syndrome. I have had a high risk of type 2for years. By following NHS guidelines I have now tipped into type2. I have started lchf not as extremely as some and have lost 10lbs which reduces insulin resistance and dropped my Hba1c from 53 diabetic to 47 just prediabetic in 2 months. I will always be diabetic but if I get control I won't suffer the consequences of the condition. Still working at it. There was an article on the front of yesterday Sunday express newspaper about professor Sarah Hallberg. It is all about reversing. Look her up on the forum. Her video is well worth watching and will explain why some health care professionals are beginning to challenge the current guidelines. Even the last president of the World heart Federation said the guidelines for low fat are based on fudged data. In straight talk WRONG. Read lots and take your time deciding what will work for you.
Thank you soo much for this!

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are differences in the figures used in U.K. And USA
Table on blood glucose worth looking up. I believe to convert to mmol you need to divide by 18.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

For those who are asking, this is the diabetic plate
pi_366.jpg

it is for sale in the Diabetes.uk shop (which is not the same as the www.diabetes.co.uk site, who run this forum)

I would imagine it worked for @NewlyPreDiabetic 's Mum because it will have been an improvement on her previous eating habits, and she may (this is a guess) have been on medication which will have helped. The proportions of food shown on the plate are actually suggested in the early stages of the DCUK Low Carb Program (link in my signature) as a starting point when cutting down carbs.

So yes, NewlyPreDiabetic, eating this way, as a pre-diabetic, may help you a great deal. But it all depends on what your eating habits were like before. If you lived on greens, salads and meat before, then introducing this amount of carb may be a backward step. While if you lived on pasta, baked potatoes and toast before, then eating to the diabetic place may be a fantastic move.

For many type 2 diabetics the Diabetic Plate is too many carbs, but it may be perfect for you.

Why not check out the Low Carb Program I mentioned earlier (link in my sig) to find out exactly where carbs and hidden carbs can be found in food, and how to identify and arrange your own diet to suit your body. The program is free. :)

NewlyPreDiabetic

Hi,

For those who are asking, this is the diabetic plate
pi_366.jpg

it is for sale in the Diabetes.uk shop (which is not the same as the www.diabetes.co.uk site, who run this forum)

I would imagine it worked for @NewlyPreDiabetic 's Mum because it will have been an improvement on her previous eating habits, and she may (this is a guess) have been on medication which will have helped. The proportions of food shown on the plate are actually suggested in the early stages of the DCUK Low Carb Program (link in my signature) as a starting point when cutting down carbs.

So yes, NewlyPreDiabetic, eating this way, as a pre-diabetic, may help you a great deal. But it all depends on what your eating habits were like before. If you lived on greens, salads and meat before, then introducing this amount of carb may be a backward step. While if you lived on pasta, baked potatoes and toast before, then eating to the diabetic place may be a fantastic move.

For many type 2 diabetics the Diabetic Plate is too many carbs, but it may be perfect for you.

Why not check out the Low Carb Program I mentioned earlier (link in my sig) to find out exactly where carbs and hidden carbs can be found in food, and how to identify and arrange your own diet to suit your body. The program is free. :)
Thank you! She was not on medication, but I would say that it was a improvement.

NewlyPreDiabetic

I am ok with the plate method. My BGL is below 140 one hour after eating. But should I still try the LCHF Diet? I'm kinda impressed with the way people feel about it here and it makes sense to cut out more carbs

Last edited:

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Well done to you:joyful:. Direct control managed by you. I started LCHF last October, diagnosed diabetic when I attended a prediabetes prevention course (HbA1c 51.7%) so I went in quite hard on Low Carb. I've lost over 25 kg (4 stones - needed to be done!!) and am about to have my HbA1c done again tomorrow so hoping for a drop. I know I'm healthier on LCHF. I feel it. I'm lighter which in itself has helped my mobility and activity. I'm not a medical professional, and can only speak from my direct experience, but (other medical issues aside) I would recommend trying LCHF. It really isn't as hard as some might say.

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am ok with the plate method. My BGL is below 140 one hour after eating. But should I still try the LCHF Diet? I'm kinda impressed with the way people feel about it here and it makes sense to cut out more carbs
Yes. Cutting out carbs makes sense, but it is an important to get the energy balance right in our diet, hence Higher Fat. Also remember, fat fills you up and can make us happy. So if you embrace to Low Carb philosophy don't forget the Fat!! Good luck:)

Reactions: AloeSvea and kumera