Reversing Pre-diabetes. Personal Experience

russth

Hi all. I just wanted to share my experience of being diagnosed as borderline diabetic, and the journey I had to reverse it. It's purely a personal experience, and it is intended to deliver a personal account for anyone, who like me, might have been diagnosed as Insulin Resistant, or Pre Diabetic. In retrospect, while the initial diagnosis was quite a shock, it has been one of the best experiences of my life, as I have gained control of my lifestyle, diet, and emotions, and generally feel like a new person.

I am a 45 year old man. 6'. On 1 January this year (2012) I weighed in at 300 pounds.The heaviest I had ever been. I was not sleeping well. Sweating a lot, lethargic and generally knew that I was overweight and needed to change. I had tried diets before, generally calorie counting but it never lasted long, and the weight came back. This time however I took a good friends advice, and decided to have a full medical. I went to a well known centre in Brussels for a battery of tests, and I unsurprisingly had many many issues, all weight related. The most pressing however was a mmol/l of 6.9. Basically as close to being diagnosed as a full diabetic as you can get.

Today I was re-tested. I have lost 60 pounds this year so far, I completed a 5k last Saturday ( I would have had trouble driving 5k back in January) and my mmol/l was 3.9. It can be done. Here is how I did it, and I sincerely hope it can help some people to motivate themselves to reverse Insulin Resistance, if they get diagnosed with it.

1. You have to give up alcohol. Alcohol provides your body with Acetate, a fuel that the body will burn before it burns fat. You have to lose weight. Burn fat. Give up alcohol. It can be temporary, but trying to lose weight while drinking even a moderate amount is very very hard. Don't compromise. Getting lashed up on a Saturday night will mean that your body will be burning Acetate all the next day and not fat. Not even considering the empty calories you are taking in.
2. For the first 3 months I gave up bread entirely. No sourdough. No Rye. No bread period. I have gradually introduced high fibre bread in the last 2 months, but initially nothing. If you cant do that (bread was my real vice) then Pita bread, especially wholegrain is excellent. Waitrose sell high fibre Pita which is ideal.
3. For the first 3 months I gave up potatoes, white rice and pasta. I replaced white rice with Basmati rice and pasta with brown pasta. The lack of sugar in my diet became very apparent to me on my birthday in the middle of March, when as a treat I had sushi, and the white rice gave me a sugar rush;heart palpatations, sweating etc etc. It made me realise that the medical advice was right about all these hidden sugars in plain sight. If you have to eat potatoes, then the less they are cooked the better. Boiled is OK. Do not eat roast or baked.
4. I gradually got into exercise. Not much at first. You body has to adjust. But slowly gradually building up. I went to an expert. Medical knowledge on this subject has exploded in the last 5 years. Basically I exercised gentle low intensity exercise before eating in the morning, as your muscles are depleted of glycogen, and your body will then burn fat, as it has no other fuel source. For full on exercise I gradually introduced High Intensity Training (HIT), which has recently been shown to speed up how quickly glucose enters your cells and tissues (you want that to happen quickly-if you are Insulin Resistant then glucose takes its time entering your cells and tissues resulting in sugar entering your bloodstream). In fact some medical research is now looking at reversing full diabetes by very high intensity short training. Anyway for me I'd do a 15 minute circuit 3 times a week. Nothing too time consuming but hard work while doing it. (Don't do HIT on an empty stomach, and eat some protein within 20 minutes of finishing to prevent muscle depletion).
5. I drank 2-3 litres of water a day, and ate small meals regularly. I had a bottle of water on my desk all day at work. Fruit seems to create controversy. Apart from avoiding stuff like watermelons, whenever I was hungry I ate apples, oranges, pears, bananas, strawberries. I know some people get worked up about eating too many bananas or oranges, but for me it was fine. I'd eat a breakfast, lunch and dinner with some protein, some healthy carbs, and some veggies/fruit. (the protein and veggies are easy for lunch-buy a tuna/chicken salad, for the carbs have a piece of high fibre pita bread for example). I didn't get too worked up about red meat, although I did cut down a bit. I was never hungry. I never calorie counted. I ate whenever I was hungry. Having enough food was never an issue.(also dont cook with extra virgin olive oil- not related to Insulin Resistance, but it degrades at high temperatures which is bad for you-use rape seed oil or something similar instead)
6. I got to bed earlier. Funnily enough I was more tired in the evenings so rather than getting to bed at Midnight I'd go to bed at 10pm.
7. I drank tea and coffee. You have to have some vices. But I gave up fruit juice, and I even avoided diet soda. Not sure if it does fool your body into producing an insulin response, but I avoided it anyway. If water doesn't do it for you, then lime juice in soda water is a good substitute. Cut down on full fat milk. It has lactose. I just went to semi skimmed.
8. Finally. Get more active during the day. Just walking for an extra 30 minutes will add up over the week. Walk to work or to the next bus stop. Go for a walk at lunchtime. Have a meeting with someone while walking around the park. These little things I found really helped.

I can honestly say it was not that hard. I got all the side benefits; reduced cholesterol, improved LDL/HDL ratio, lower blood pressure, improved liver function etc etc. But most of all I got my blood glucose under control. My doctor in Brussels told me I am vulnerable however to this coming back if my lifestyle reverts, so for me while I am relaxing some aspects of my diet, my days of munching on french bread baguettes are a thing of the past.I also still have another 30 pounds to lose.

I sincerely hope that this helps some people. I was able to get extremely good advice, and if my experience can help anybody else, I would be over the moon. I know it is disturbing when you get that first diagnosis. But if you can grasp the opportunity, it can become a life changing empowering experience. My cousin is a full Type 2 diabetic. He was totally unaware that he should avoid things like french bread, which is truly worrying. The level of medical advice in the Uk ranges from the truly great, to the truly awful, and forums like this are fantastic for disseminating relevant useful information. I wish any of you all the very best of luck, and If anyone would like to ask me any questions then please feel free.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well done russ, interesting read, diabetes is a wake up call.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Well done Russ!

There is a wealth of great advice here. Thank you for sharing :)

Reactions: An_angel_a

jdm

Very Well done Russth, i am 110% sure that you will never get it back again, because u know what to do and proved it.
I have been saying here ( I gave up saying anymore, some people are here hates to hear it) it is possible to Revers it but some people are so scared to mention or hear about it.
YOU DONT EAT YOU DONT GET

( Not the people who carried from the family or any other reason, e.g medical or T1 etc.) above comment totally just for people like myself ( my hba1c was 14 in feb/12 and I was 118kg. Now 4.7 and I am 98kg) who eats and eats and don’t know where to stop and very bad life style.

One more time well done and good luck to you.

I hope some people can learn from it.

KatieCat

Thanks for sharing Russ. I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes (I'm currently losing weight and exercising more in the hope of reversing it) and found your post encouraging :) ta.

KatieCat

P.S. Russ, do you test your blood glucose yourself using a monitor? I am currently, though not every day now as strips are so expensive!

russth

Katie. No I went the exact opposite way. As I was diagnosed pre-diabetic, the battle for me was not controlling my blood sugar per se but changing my lifestyle. I didn't bother to test myself at all until yesterday, when I went to a Lab and got tested. I didn't see the point. These are gradual changes. I knew if I lost weight, exercised and ate well then I would have an impact on it, so my advice is not to bother testing yourself too often. It's different if you are fully diabetic. Then the battle is all about controlling your blood sugar, and regular testing is important. I fully believe you can improve or even reverse full diabetes if you are dedicated to it, and jdm above has reversed a hba1c of 14 which is fantastic.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hey Russ well done on reversing your pre diabetes looks like you adopted a low gi diet which was a good choice. Don't want to be too critical but claiming you can reverse full T2 is a different thing. You can certainly control it and effectively stop the progression by doing a good low carb diet and go on and lose a load of insulin resistance and lots of members have done just that over the years but until someone comes up with a sure fire way to regenerate beta cell damage then reversal is not the correct word. The amount of beta cell damage will depend on how long and how high a persons blood levels were before they gained control so if they are really lucky they may get back a reasonable amount of function but usually not all by a long way.

russth

Thanks xyzzy. I put a post about reversing T2 in the Type 2 section yesterday. I used the word deliberately. I fully appreciate that you will probably not agree with me, but I was just passing on some of the things I was told about the latest research going on that my European Treatment Centre told me about. This is not only looking to prevent ongoing Beta cell damage, but that can actually repair it, and such things as GPR55 which is now able to stimulate insulin production in existing Beta cells, and create proliferation in non Beta Cells. As I say, I know it is a controversial subject, and fully expect people such as yourself to be critical, as you live with the disease everyday and reversal for you is really remission. But have a read.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Thanks for posting russth, It all helps with the understanding and getting to grips with the Diabetes, but again shows low Gi is the way forward and not the Diet that the NHS is promoting. Again exercise, low Carbs and balance, result of overall effect, well being, healthier fuller life and better prognosis and control.

That is very inspiring as I've been told I'm pre diabetic and I'm hoping to reverse it. What had you for breakfast and lunch instead of bread? I think cutting bread is going to be very difficult for me.

paragliderpete

Hi Russth. Very interesting story, and I must admit I hold a belief that if a pre diabetic is caught early enough then the condition can be reversed. Although I'm not convinced that any inclination to become diabetic would ever go away, and therefore anyone that is pre diabetic would have to be careful with diet for the rest of thier life. I do however stand to be convince otherwise, if presented with adequate evidence.

For your information, I'm a type 2 and have been for about 3 years. My hba1c for the last 18 months has been in the 34 t0 38 range, fsating bm's 5 to 5.5 and any random test always below 6.8. I'm on 2000mg metformin and 80mg gliclazide.

My partner on the cusp between type 2 and pre Diabetic, and has readings very similar to mine.

Both of us are on very low carb diets ( less than 30g per day )

However whilst looking at our control it would appear that our condition has been normalized or in remission. Here comes the crunch, we only achieve this by very strict diet, our glucose tolerence profile has not improved at all , and suspect our insulin resistance has not normalised either.

You state that you are in remission, i'd be very interested to hear how much your glucose tolerence profile has changed, and similarly what changes if any have occured to your insulin levels ( c peptide test ) . It seems that there is little text discussing the normalisation of glucose intolerence, and thus I find it difficult to determine what can actually be achieved, and in particular over what timscale

shabbysquire

Thanks Russ for an insight into your coping strategy as a pre-diabetic.

Despite not being diagnosed (yet have all the hallmarks), I'm looking to cut nearly all carbs out (I say nearly as I'm a keen cyclist and need to keep my glycogen levels topped up after a long ride).

Tony.

LomaxCampbell

Thank you so much for this valuable posting. I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes 2 weeks ago and have been advised to attend an education session. I have experienced what I would call 'wobbles' for some years - suddenly realising that I HAD to eat - and had to eat quickly as I was beginning to get the shakes. My partner noticed I would lose concentration - in fact what I was sub-conciously concentrating on was finding something- anything - to eat.

I have for many years had a tendency to become very engrossed in work and forget to eat - not noticing until the internal shaking started. I can't describe it very well, but I wasn't physically shaking, yet inside I was very edgy and it felt as though I was shaking. Despite several blood tests I was told I wasn't diabetic. Finally I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes.

My workload over the last few weeks has been very high and I have allowed myself to think 'I can sort this out when I get more time'. I am probably a stone overweight - not a great deal, and I know that while I used to love exercise I tend to do it when I have finished getting through my work. 2 months ago I took a much needed holiday - away from the computer and enjoyed lots of swimming in the sea and walking. I lost weight prior to the holiday because I wanted to wear a swimsuit - and I felt so much better about myself - and healthier. I returned from holiday on 16th Sept and worked very long hours since - and put on over a stone in weight.

It is raining outside and I am in denial mode - avoiding going for a walk or cycle ride. instead I did a Google search and found this website and Pre-Diabetes forum. I am so glad I did. I really want to be fit and well and avoid diabetes - thank you Russth for making me 'wake up and smell the coffee '. Sitting on my backside at a computer probably contributes to the problem (lack of exercise and 'just another coffee - oh - and a quick biscuit').

Rain or not - I am off for a walk and think about ways to give myself more time and prioritise my health.

GEORGE HARPER

Hello Everyone,

As a 50 year I thought it would be a good idea to go for a 50 year MOT health check. I had always considered myself healthy not to overweight etc. I was surprised when my GP said he wanted to see me. He then told me my blood sugar was high 6.8. As an African descent its not much a surprise to be diagnosed with Diabetic Type 2, but not me. I do not drink alcohol nor smoke I never have, do not eat the tempting cakes made by the wife and daughters every Sunday. I was in denial and thought I'll fix this. So I ask the GP to give me 3 months to sort it out. My only vice is a drink common in Afro-Carribean/Asian circles is SUPERMALT.
I could drink about 4 botles a day as I though it was an energy drink, I did not realise its high sugar content.

During my 3 months I ate any green vegetable I could find, I did not exercise, but lost weight and did not touch SUPERMALT or another sugary drink after 3 months I went for another fasting test, the nurse thought it was a bit too soon and said I should have waited 6 months but I wanted to prove a point. I had the test and was called by the GP two weeks later. I was waiting for him to tell me how impressed he was, only for him give ame a shocker. My BG was 7.1, he hastily wrote me a prescription to use Metformin and a Statin something. I asked how long for, he said for life!

Still in denial I did some research I read about Canary Seed Milk, I bought a 20kg bag and made the milk drank first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I also started taking 1,000 mg Chromium, !,000 I.U Vitamin D and a Vitamon B complex tablet daily . I always sprinkled cinnamon in my yogurt and green tea with honey. I have done this for the past one month.

After two weeks of drinking the Milk and the tablets I one evening visited a friend who had a blood glucose testing machine. My BG read 5.2, this was one hour after a meal. I was at his again last week I had breakfast at his place and measured my BG again and it read 4.2! So after a month its dropped from 7.1 to 4.2! I still have not done any exercise and intend to enroll in a gym soon. I want to give this about six months before going for another test in the hospital. I intend to buy a machine and will update you with my readings. I have been told this may not work for everyone but so far so good!

israrhk

My story is similar with George. My doctor gave me metformin but I never took it. Lazy for exercise but I do control my diet.I do test at home specifically after dinner. Under control for time being. My lab test is due on 23rd. Let's see.

etb9

I appreciate this thread. I was really surprised to find out that I had prediabetes in December because I'm 27 and consider myself fit and active. I jumped into making lifestyle changes, some are subtle but they feel long lasting.

The long term changes that I'm most excited about are:
- breakfast of egg and kale, mushrooms etc. instead of toast
- 30 min walk everyday and chance to get sunshine and a break from work
- tea instead of a latte every morning. and latte and chocolate as treats.

I followed "The Blood Sugar Solution" for the first 6 weeks and that really helped me jump start the dietary changes - and shifted my taste palette so I'm no longer as drawn to foods I was eating regularly like cheese and breads and such. I also now purchase tons of vegetables and really use what I purchase at the grocery store to determine what I end up eating.

It's been almost 4 months of making these changes and I just started to notice that my skin has been consistently much clearer, and less blemishes and acne.

Just wanted to share the little things I've noticed. Thanks! E.B.

SuziQueue

Hi Russ,

Firstly, thanks for sharing your experiences of reversing your borderline diabetes - good on you! It's been really inspiring to read yours and others stories on this forum and I am so pleased I found you guys!

I am new to this forum, having been diagnosed only a 4 weeks ago today. Boy, what a shock that was!
After the tears came a renewed resolve to run in the other direction from diabetes as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Since then I have looked into the NR (Newcastle Roy Taylor research), have looked at HIT training as as way to potentially increase glucose sensitivity, and have not let a refined sugar pass my lips since that fateful evening in my Dr's surgery a month ago.

I'm also on Glucose factors as well as no carbs save for sweet potatoes, spelt bread and the odd carrot or two. Also no alcohol, which is not really that difficult as I was never a drinker. I have the occasional low fat yoghurt but most products are 4g sugar per 100g of product i.e. low sugar. No processed/packaged foods with everything made fresh.

I'm increasing my activity levels and know it'll be easier as I get lighter and intend to change my lifestyle for the better longer term with regular hardcore exercise :)

2 years ago my FBG was at 5.4, but now this new test showed fasting BG levels of 7.1 mmol/l.
12 days in when with my Practice Nurse, I had another FBG test and I was at 5.9 mmol/l. :D
I've lost around 5 kg so far and I intend to keep going and gain my previous, slimline figure. It means I've got another 18kg to go by which time I feel I will be in a "safer" place. My PN thinks I'm going to be too thin but too bad; that's where I want to be.

My Hba1c level (at the 7.1 FBG test) was at 40 which equates to 5.8, I believe - at the top end of the "normal" scale, suggesting that this pre-diabetes has been caught relatively early (? Corroboration required please?!) :***:

My father was diagnosed at my age with T2 diabetes but was appreciably heavier than I am. Sadly he is no longer with us, and as his diagnosis was c. 25 years ago, we're not really sure if he had T2 or slow onset T1. He became insulin dependent relatively quickly (c. 6 years or so I believe) despite being as thin as a rake by then and no-one can find his records as it's more than 7 years ago.
I know his maternal grandfather and his maternal uncle were diabetic; his mother died in her early 50's of colon cancer so we'll never really know if she was destined to go that way as well (is the predisposition carried from generation to generation or does it sometimes skip?)

Next week I'm intending on doing a very low calorie diet (VLCD) for a week and seeing how much weight I can drop. I know slower is better, but I've a lot to do and I really need to kick-start my efforts. My weight has gone on over about 18 months and as such I believe 6-9 months is what I should be aiming for.
Ideally I want this under control by my 50th birthday at the end of this year.

Friends and family have been supportive but I get the feeling my Dr and the surgery aren't that well-versed in dealing with Diabetes. It's metformin (sp?) before you can blink, if you know what I mean?

Anyhow, what do others people think of my efforts so far? Am I doing the right things? Is it worth getting a referral to an endocrinologist specialising in diabetes at this point or not?
Also, what are your thoughts on doing the VLCD? My BMI is at 30 which puts me in the obese category but I have large muscle mass (mesomorphic, built for boxing, sprinting etc. ) and have always weighed a good 12 lbs heavier than I look, if that makes sense? Any other ideas on losing the weight fast?

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

:thumbup:

Thank you in advance.

Suzi

Reactions: 2 people

kar_sil

I joined this forum for the sole purpose of asking George Harper to please follow up on canary seed milk. I have a young child diagnosed with Type 1 a couple of years ago. I have done a bit of research on Canary Seed and diabetes, but so far, every testimonial I've seen on-line looks suspiciously like an ad to promote a specific brand of this seed. I never see any follow-up on these so-called testimonials. This seems to be your one and only post in this forum. Please update us on the results of your Canary Seed consumption. Are you still taking it? I would really appreciate and be grateful to hear back from you and letting us know if you've continued taking it and what the benefits have been from drinking canary seed milk. Thanks in advance.

Nike69

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are lots of non believers which is a shame. As others have said I have also stopped talking about it on here because people quickly jump on you and say stuff like "you are not cured, its only a matter of time till it comes back"...I just pity them. I say THANK YOU to T2...its changed my life for the better. I am med free, in control, happy, stable, strong, enthusiastic and more and also willing to help people do what we have done. Thrashing T2 by diet / life style and proud. Thanks for sharing.