Reversing Type2

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So when giving this sort of recommendation about diet you need to be careful to consider that not all type 2's have sufficient insulin, rather than approach it from the view that type 2's are all the same. There's quite a few of us that are on full time insulin therapy because of lack of insulin. I would also suggest that type 2's should know the state of their insulin production first by getting the diagnostic tests done again before attempting diets of this nature.... that means discussing with your doc. I've had the GAD and c-peptide done 3 times so far and the latest test showed I hardly produce any insulin.

You have raised very good point. Will be more careful in highlighting that in future post regarding fasting.

Actually all of us should have our insulin/c-peptide verified to ensure that we were correctly diagnosed as Type2. Then the target of recovery and choice of dietary changes would be appropriate and realistic to our condition.

Reactions: 2 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You have raised very good point. Will be more careful in highlighting that in future post regarding fasting.

Actually all of us should have our insulin/c-peptide verified to ensure that we were correctly diagnosed as Type2. Then the target of recovery and choice of dietary changes would be appropriate and realistic to our condition.

Yes, that's right, you may well be another type. Although type 2's also lose their insulin production too so it is important to know either way as the treatment will differ depending on what your pancreas is doing. I used to have my own insulin years back and now hardly have any. I haven't changed type of diabetes though. I personally think they should have the diagnostic tests done on all type 2's every 5 years at least to help with treatment decisions.

skipworth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
As with everyone else each individual is probably different in their reactions, however in my own case 12 months ago I was on 1000mg metformin, 10mg Lisinopril for Blood pressurre, and managing my insulin levels to 40 units of Levermir and between 50-60 units of Novarapid per day. I did try a modified version of the Newcastle diet in May/June 2015 by having protein in my meal, but still maintaining a 600-800 daily calorie diet, which reduced my weight by 28lbs and improved by Carb to insulin ratio from 3:1 to 6:1, allowing me to reduce my insulin to 20 units of Levermir and 20-30 units of Novarapid and stop the metformin and Lisinopril. I then moved onto the 5.2 diet mainly to try to maintain my weight levels, but it appears to have had the effect of improving my ratios further. I have had to reduce my insulin again, to avoid having Hypos, to only 10-15 units of Novarapid, and am not currently taking the Levermir. My carb to insulin ratio now appears to be aqround 12:1. I am not sure if this a permanent change and consequently monitor it perhaps more than I used to, and
I am also trying to reduce my carb intake which is currently between 90-120 per day, mainly because I find to hard to completely eliminate potatoes or bread. My HbA1c and blood eadings have remained pretty consistent around 6.2 for HbA1c and an average of 6.5 for blood tests. I wouldn't say that my diabetes is reversing, but it seems to be improving. Not sure if this helps but for example my meals are breakfast of porridge with full fat milk (40carbs) lunch is a sandwich (45 carbs) sometimes ham, sometimes bacon, sometimes salad and dinner veg with potatoes, with protein, either meat or fish (50 carbs), on a fasting day it would be replacement shakes for breakfast and lunch, both 13carbs, and usually a vegetable stir fry for dinner with 100g of meat or fish. This seems to work for me. I am pretty much a lazy dieter and have always tended to give up rahter than perserve with something that didn't appeal, but so far it has not been too bad. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 people

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had to reduce my insulin again, to avoid having Hypos, to only 10-15 units of Novarapid, and am not currently taking the Levermir.

THAT ... I would think counts as a reversal... :D

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
THAT ... I would think counts as a reversal... :D

I take 10-16 units of bolus myself and I wouldn't see it as reversal. I still need insulin. We all have various insulin needs and that can change depending on a lot of factors. Dropping bolus dosage from losing weight is likely to happen. I agree with @skipworth that his diabetes has improved most likely from the weight loss and change in his diet. Well done @skipworth :)

annew272

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

I am new here and have found it a really interesting read. I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic 17 years ago, was initially on just metformin, 2000g a day and was then put on Lantus, it didnt take very long to get up to large amounts and 2 years ago was on 240 units a day (had been at this level for years) and started to have unexplained severe overnight hypo's. After a couple of hospital visits I was referred back to the diabetic clinic at my local hospital where the consultant was horrified that I was on 240 units of Lantus. I was then stabilised on 80 units of Lantus and between 40 and 50 units of Novorapid so a massive reduction, at the same time I was referred to a hepatoligst as I was diagnosed with chronic liver problems. Being overweight had never helped my diabetes and was now causing my liver problems to worsen so I eventually made a decision to try and rectify it. My lifestyle is very different and I am now on 15 units of Lantus and depending on levels can take up to 15 units of Novorapid a day. I did start using Bydureon during this time which will be having an impact but even so that is a huge reduction in insulin. As you can properly tell my problems were mainly insulin resistance, I still have more weight to loose and I am hoping to get off the insulin altogether and you never know, maybe get off the rest as well.

Am also seeing a bit of an impact on other conditions - high blood pressure and high cholesterol, so am reducing meds in this area as well, maybe stuck with the rest :)

Defiantely one very happy customer

Anne

Reactions: 6 people

Sittinaround

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
suffering from cranky old guy syndrome
I guess it's time to join the convo. I've read so many posts on this website over the past year that have helped me so much: this site truly is a gift.

I was diagnosed a year and a half ago with type 2. I found Metformin, Gliclizide and Januvia very difficult to take. My GP was amenable to my starting insulin. Long story short: with a combination of exercise, meditation and yoga, a good diet and plenty of sleep I (thought) I was headed in the right direction. My blood sugar numbers were good a lot of the time. I was slowly getting into better shape and hoping my weight loss would lower my insulin dosage. About 10 months ago my Levemir dose steadily began to climb. My GP got me into see an Endocrinologist. She was, and remains a terrific help. Unfortunately I have another chronic disease, a blood disorder which adds more trouble to the mix. She got me on Victoza first which did wonders at the beginning but started to bring in muscle wasting. I've since found I can use it at .6 mg dose - but for now it's sitting in the fridge. Bydureon was not a friend to me. I stayed in bed for a few days the one week dose had worn off.

I was up to 150 units of Levemir a day for a while and was becoming distressed. My pharmacist said not to worry, lots of people take that much. I wasn't convinced - my skin had lost its elasticity and I could only imagine what the insides of me were looking like. My Endo was (like annew272's) shocked or horrified at the amount I was taking. A week later while at home, I decided to try some left over Lantus (at the beginning of my insulin journey I tried both, and stayed with Levemir). I don't know whether others have felt this reaction, but when I injected the first 40 units (35 to follow) I had a rush. I could feel the insulin flow over me like never before. Somehow I had built up a resistance to Levemir. Over the next several days I dropped my dosage down to 5-6 units a day. To say this change was/is still overwhelming me would be understating the whole diabetes experience. (And 'experience' is a kind word.)

I planned a road trip. I wasn't sure whether I had the stamina or strength to drive 1400km over 2 days to Tofino, Canada but it all worked out. Relaxed and chilled out, etc.

That's where I stopped using Lantus. It's been an interesting change. I was checking my blood sugars and trying not to get freaked out by my numbers, which were a little high beginning (7.8 -9.3) and the evening usually in the good range (5.6 - 8.0). I follow follow Dr Fung's advice and do a partial fast. I get a little creative with it though, I start the day with a broth (with some hot sauce, balsamic and soy sauce added). Later I have either one or two protein shakes. Sometimes there's a salad, sometime chicken or fish.

I'm checking my sugars a lot, watch what I eat, do 'legs up the wall' yoga pose & meditate - and I walk. Hopefully I can keep it up.

geoffwootten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is a lot of talk about reversing type2 but no mention of those of us that are on insulin.
I was diagnosed 18 years ago but after taking metformin for about 6 weeks,with all the sickness and diarrhoea problems,my blood levels went so high the readings were off the scale.
Have been on Novomix 30 now for 9 years and test 4/6 times a day to help avoid hypos.
Does anyone think this is reversible?
BMI 25
No. I was diagnosed type 2 twenty one years ago and I too was put on metformin with exactly the same result,10 years ago and I also check 4/6 times a day. I do not count carbs but note down what I have to eat and adjust my insulin dosage to suit. At the same time I put my readings into an app on my mobile(mySugr) which calculates hba1c,witch I have found gives a slightly higher reading to a blood test.
Average hba1c on the app is 47 but actual value from blood test was 39, the only thing is the last diabetic nurse I saw told me that was too low but the previous nurse said it was fine.
Another app I am using is ‘evergreen’ which gives me all the results of my blood tests, in fact I get the results before going for a consultation ,give it go it gives a lot of information of how your body is working.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
There is a lot of talk about reversing type2 but no mention of those of us that are on insulin.
I was diagnosed 18 years ago but after taking metformin for about 6 weeks,with all the sickness and diarrhoea problems,my blood levels went so high the readings were off the scale.
Have been on Novomix 30 now for 9 years and test 4/6 times a day to help avoid hypos.
Does anyone think this is reversible?
BMI 25
I know an old thread but YES type2 can be reversed. Damaged cells which produce insulin currently cannot. It's work in progress though.