Rice - In Coconut Oil, Cooled & Reheated?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I've recently read some articles that suggest that cooking rice in coconut oil and then popping in the refrigerator for 12 hours before reheating significantly reduces the impact on blood glucose. I've yet to try this and test, but my question is - could portions of rice prepared in this way be frozen without affecting either the impact on BG or the texture of the rice?
Your thoughts/experiencies are welcome.

Dave

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry Dave, I don't know the answer to your question. But I can give you a NHS link to reheating rice and how it can cause food poisoning

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry Dave, I don't know the answer to your question. But I can give you a NHS link to reheating rice and how it can cause food poisoning
Many thanks @Enclave , I was aware about the reheating risks but thought that freezing might kill the bacteria. I'm not too bothered about short term chilling and then eating, but if freezing is possible it would be great for us as we could then freeze portions to take with us on trips on our motorhome.
Dave

Reactions: Enclave

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This technique also works for pasta, I do this for the non diabetics in my family to reduce their sugar spike. You have to be extremely careful with rice bacteria, here's a guide:

1.only reheat rice once

2. if you cook your rice using the method that you rinse under cold water as soon as cooked and then refresh with boiling water then you cannot reheat

3.cool down the rice as soon as you can and by quickest means – plain rice you can rinse in cold water. Pilau etc put a thin layer into a shallow container so the maximum surface area allows fast cool down

4.get into fridge or freezer as quick as possible and don’t store too long.

5. reheat thoroughly

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@miahara - I think the bottom line on this one is you'd have to try it, and test your bloods to see the impact on you. Like most things diabetic, there are no cast-iron, certain rules. For some it'll work and for others it won'y help at all.

Personally, I'm quite happy to forego rice, and where I might want it to substitute cauli rice, so I haven done the research on myself.

Reactions: miahara

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
@miahara - I think the bottom line on this one is you'd have to try it, and test your bloods to see the impact on you. Like most things diabetic, there are no cast-iron, certain rules. For some it'll work and for others it won'y help at all.

Personally, I'm quite happy to forego rice, and where I might want it to substitute cauli rice, so I haven done the research on myself.
To be perfectly honest I've never been daft about rice and far prefer cauli rice, but if I can get by with eating the occasional portion of lowered carb rice without elevating BS it would mean that my wife wouldn't have to prepare a 'special' meal for me.
I recently had cauli rice Hash Browns and they were just great as I can't stand the 'normal' version!

Reactions: ickihun

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be perfectly honest I've never been daft about rice and far prefer cauli rice, but if I can get by with eating the occasional portion of lowered carb rice without elevating BS it would mean that my wife wouldn't have to prepare a 'special' meal for me.
I recently had cauli rice Hash Browns and they were just great as I can't stand the 'normal' version!

Doesn't your wife care for cauli rice. MrB was super cynical, but quickly converted.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Many thanks @Enclave , I was aware about the reheating risks but thought that freezing might kill the bacteria. I'm not too bothered about short term chilling and then eating, but if freezing is possible it would be great for us as we could then freeze portions to take with us on trips on our motorhome.
Dave
Freezing anything doesn't kill bacteria just suspend its growth, once reheated bateria grows. Unless you boil it. Only boiling bateria, kills it!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Doesn't your wife care for cauli rice. MrB was super cynical, but quickly converted.
She quite likes it and really loves cauli rice hash browns, but she also enjoys rice too, far more than I ever have.
She works really hard trying to feed me low carb and it's hard for her as she's partially sighted and finds reading recipes quite a challenge. She's a wee treasure!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Freezing anything doesn't kill bacteria just suspend its growth, once reheated bateria grows. Unless you boil it. Only boiling bateria, kills it!

Reheating rice is perfectly safe provided it was refrigerated or frozen as soon as possible after preparation and is reheated until piping hot. Were it not so, think how many Indian ready meals would be death traps.

D

Deleted member 308541

Reheating rice is perfectly safe provided it was refrigerated or frozen as soon as possible after preparation and is reheated until piping hot
We reheated frozen rice in the microwave and never got the scours.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She quite likes it and really loves cauli rice hash browns, but she also enjoys rice too, far more than I ever have.
She works really hard trying to feed me low carb and it's hard for her as she's partially sighted and finds reading recipes quite a challenge. She's a wee treasure!

She sounds it!

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok I have to ask. How do you make cauli rice hash browns? They sound great!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ok I have to ask. How do you make cauli rice hash browns? They sound great!

Cook cauliflower.
Squash cauliflower.
Use as potato.

Unless you mean a different 'hash', then you need to possibly go to Holland initially.

MuntiJay

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is 3 facts that you need to know about coconut oil:
  1. Coconut oil is commonly used as a replacement for butter and olive or vegetable oils when baking or cooking.
  2. Some evidence suggests that coconut oil can reduce the symptoms of type 2 diabetes.
  3. Despite its potential benefits, coconut oil is still considered to be an unhealthy fat.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There was a warning recently that if you cook rice in boiling water, then drain it completely then this eliminates most of the arsenic residue. However, if you cook in water and then let water evapourate (such as in paella) then this traps the Arsenic in the rice, which has obvious detrimental effect on our general health. Not sure how coconut oil will fare in this scenario, but suspect it may be similar to the spanish where the restaurants have had to change the way they so paella dishes due to food poisoning scares. I believe the old technique was to fry the rice in butter before boiling, so this may still be harmful.
/
However, a chinese stirfry often uses precooked rice, so maybe ok.

What my Mum used to do was boil and drain the rice, then pour boiling water from kettle over it while in the sieve. This got rid of the starchy gloop in the rice, and this made it suitable for her - she was a T1D for most of her life, in the days before MIDI and bolus doses.