Rising blood sugar trend

Countryside_Yoyo_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Im female, 56 years old, and I was diagnosed prediabetic almost 2 years ago with a Hba1c of 45. My fasting BS were in the mid to late 6’s. This scared me, I wanted to avoid becoming diabetic, and so after joining this forum and reading and learning a lot, I started eating low carb and testing my BS after every meal.

My next 6 monthly Hba1c was 39, and the one after that was 37. I was so pleased with that, I felt fab, I lost 3 stones and got down to my lightest weight for 30 years, I was finally in control. I generally eat less than 30g of carbs a day, often less than 20, but never more than 40. Fasting BS has been in the 5’s and often in the 4’s. Pre and post meal readings were always in the 5’s.

Here’s my problem. The last two months my fasting blood sugars, and other readings, have been slowly creeping up. The FBS is now in the high 5’s and 6’s. I’m doing nothing different, my diet is pretty well the same things every day, I haven’t introduced anything new, I’ve not been sick and I’m not coming down with anything. I’m not taking any new meds. Everything is exactly the same. I don’t eat wheat (apart from the odd half a Lidl low carb roll) no rice, no grains, no pasta, no fruit, no milk, no potatoes or below ground veg.

Any suggestions what I can do? I don’t want to lose any more weight as BMI is now 21.5 so difficult to cut much more out of my diet. I’m skinny enough now for my 5 feet 7 frame.
It might seem like trivial rise but it’s consistent and the trend is upwards. I thought Diabetes wasn’t a progressive condition.........I bought a new meter thinking maybe that was it (both SR Codefree) but the readings are the same on both. I wondered if I should start IF, but a few days of 16 hour fasting just saw my BS rise until I ate something, and made no difference to my FBS readings, still slightly raised.
Feeling pretty down about it - I know it’s just a small rise in numbers but the trend is there. My latestt Hba1c is one point up, at 38. Any suggestions?

Reactions: Ixarix

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry to ask such a personal question but could you be menopausal or perienopausal at all?

Countryside_Yoyo_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess it’s possible, but I would have thought that at 56 I’m coming to the end of all that.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess it’s possible, but I would have thought that at 56 I’m coming to the end of all that.

You are classed as menopausal when it's been a year since your last period. Has that happened yet?

Countryside_Yoyo_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t get periods as I’ve had a IUD for 15 years.. When last tested a few years ago I was told I was In the middie of the menopause.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It is something to bear in mind re your concerns with rising bg which do seem to be small rises. It is good that you are still regularly testing.
The perimenopause can last up to about five years and the menopause proper can last up to ten years. The fluctuations at both ends can go unnoticed. So, if you rule out infection, hormones, stress levels etc then I am at a loss, sorry.
How were your last thyroid function test results? Other than that, I can't help, Im afraid but no doubt other members will have more ideas. Best wishes.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a thought, especially as you’ve tried two identical meters, when you noticed the rising levels, had you just started a new batch of strips? Only back in the summer I started a new batch of strips and noticed my readings go from mainly 5s with the odd 6, to mainly 6s with the occasional 5. When I started the next batch my readings reverted back to ‘normal’.

Countryside_Yoyo_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the suggestion. I test 5 times a day, so a batch of strips only lasts me about 10 days. This has been going on for 2 months or so. Every time I open a new tub of strips I hope they’ll show me new lower readings and the others will have been a blip, but I’ve gone through around 6 tubs of strips since then.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the suggestion. I test 5 times a day, so a batch of strips only lasts me about 10 days. This has been going on for 2 months or so. Every time I open a new tub of strips I hope they’ll show me new lower readings and the others will have been a blip, but I’ve gone through around 6 tubs of strips since then.
Take a look at the batch numbers on your tubs, are they the same? I had ordered 10 in one order, all the same batch number. Next order I got a different batch number.

Countryside_Yoyo_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just checked the batch numbers on the tubs, and yes, they are the same. I tend to order 10 tubs at once because it’s cheaper that way.
I’ve just rechecked my fasting blood with new strips with a different batch number and it’s actually gone up from 6.0 to 6.2. Statistically insignificant, I know, but nonetheless frustrating. Grrrr.
I really want to get a grip of this but have no idea what else to do. It’s not carb creep, I’m still tracking everything I eat.

Countryside_Yoyo_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I’ve just had my latest HbA1c results back, and it’s still rising, it’s now back up to 40. Still normal I know, which is better than my prediabetic diagnosis st 45, but frustrating.

I had managed to get it down from 45 to 39 and then 37 over the last 2 years (6 monthly retests) but last time it went up to 38 and this time 40. I would say it’s pretty accurate and reflects the rising trend in my fasting BS too, which is now often in the 6’s. Pre and post meal readings are a tad higher these days too.

Nothing is different, I’m eating exactly the same stuff as when my BS readings were lower, and I haven’t regained any of the 3 stone I lost over the last 2 years either. Low carb all the way. Less than 30g per day and often less than 20. The only difference has been a bit more cream in my coffee to try and maintain my weight rather than losing it.

I know the readings are ok compared to being diabetic..........So I’m thinking maybe this is a progressive thing after all and things will slowly get worse over time. I’ve run out of ideas on how to help myself.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I know it hasn't been long but please bear in mind that as we age our bodys abilities to compensate for anomalies diminishes. All I can suggest is looking again at diet or excercise regimes and searching for ways to mitigate the small rise in A1c. Good luck.