Rude Pharmacist

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So today I went for my diabetic review. Ive recebtly changed doctors to a really lovely practice. Went to see the nurse today, in absolutely bits tears the lot at my hba1c being so high (10.9) lovely lady called the doc in and talked to me about gliclazide. Made me feel really at ease. Left feeling really positive and that I can get this under control. Put my presecription in amd the pharmacist called me to a side room where she said the following 'a woman of your age (33) shouldnt be on this medication. You need to think about slimming world, lose that tummy weight' and so on :( tummy weight and slimming world wete the exact words. To say im not totally feeling ****** and not posutive at all is an understatement :( I know its thier job to warn about medication etc but this really?? my doc already said at 33 and not overweight that I dont exactly fit the bill of a typical type 2 and they are now questioning whether I need tests for LADA but im just in bits now. Work have sent me home for the rest of the week as I turned up all tearful. My question is would you just let the pharmacists comments slip or do you think I need to put in some kind of complaint?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Poor you. I know some people think that 'telling it straight' might be good for us, but harsh words never make me 'pull my socks up'. They are more likely to send me to the cake aisle in the supermarket. Unless you know someone's character and know how they handle highly emotive issues you shouldn't just speak your mind. At the very least the pharmacist could do with knowing how much their comments have affected you.

Maybe print what you've posted here and hand it to them over the counter!

Reactions: 5 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

That's awful Jaxx :( Apart from the rudeness, what gives her the right to undermine or question your doctor's decision? I would complain.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi There are ways of saying things, like the saying; it's not what you say ,it's HOW you say it. This doesn't sound like support, or practical advice especially from a pharmacist as this would seem to be very unprofessional.
I do hope you complain about this pharmacist, to show them what their words can do, should make them realise how insensitive those words were.
Good luck and try to put it behind you. x.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those comments are completely inappropriate and it's not the pharmacist's job to second guess a gp who has spent time discussing treatment with you. If it were me I would definitely make a formal complaint. I hope you are feeling better in yourself.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Talk about exceeding your authority ! :wideyed:
So she psychicly"knew" your medical history and all about you and your lifestyle, so therefore decided to insultingly lecture you ? Wow.
There's areas I know of where if she had said that to Mrs. Rottweiler, she would have regretted it .

I don't suppose her second income comes from running Slimming World ?? ;)

Signy

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely put a complaint in. Not her place or position to be saying that to you. Goes against the Drs advice. Don't let her words get put you down.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all ive calmed down. Im just gutted that for the first time since the beginning i walked out the doctors feeling positive and almost felt like I can do this and then she just ruined it all :( feeling better now and im drafting an email to put a complaint in x

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jax, I hope you take this as it's meant. As you know, the BG under control is the most important thing and the adjustment of diet, exercise and meds are the way it's done for T2.
I know it upset you and it wasn't asked for or welcomed, although cumbersomely, I feel the chemist was trying to help you.
It's not much different than you will read here on a lot of posts here. There is never-ending advice given about LCHF to lose weight, to get your BG down so you can reduce meds.

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
I don't agree with that comment at all Jack412. I think it is very different to what she will read on here. In almost Every post I've read, there is only helpful encouraging support from the members on this forum. It wasn't the chemists place to comment at all, that was Never going to be a helpful remark. We overweight people are treated as second class citizens everywhere in this pathetic society that believes you are a more worthy person if you look good, slim, pretty, etc. We are not all overweight because we overeat, I am testimony to that. She was out of order and needs reprimanding so she won't do it again to another poor soul.

Reactions: 6 people

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
See I would take it as being helpful if I was indeed overweight. The docs have already agreed I dont fit the criteria for type 2 :( only really that I have strong family history. From what she was saying she implied that I was to blame :( after id been in tears at the docs and they finally got me to think reasonably about things :( well thats what it felt like on the recieving end of her words :(

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
at 110kg or 17 stone, I'm on your side to how we are treated.
I agree she was out of place and as I said, it wasn't asked for or welcomed and it did upset Jax, but I also think the chemist wasn't trying to have a shot at Jaz but was an clumsy attempt to help

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
It was NOT her place to. They are NOT Doctors.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree she was out of place and as I said, it wasn't asked for or welcomed and it did upset Jax, but I also think the chemist wasn't trying to have a shot at Jaz but was an clumsy attempt to help

That's what he just said LunarLinda :S

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, cirrhosis, lymphoma, acronyms, green celery (because it's lazy), those computer programs that nag you night after night to download them and then, when you do, present reams of conditions and threats for you to accept before they'll run. DVDs that start with 5 minutes of threats - if I'd pirated it, then I'd surely leave those out.
I'd probably have smacked her in the mouth - and got into lots and lots of trouble again..

Not recommended..

J.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd put a complaint in, if only to say that while you appreciate the pharmacist was probably trying to help, that you feel it was an inappropriate way to do so, given that she knows only your prescription history and nothing else. You say that the GP said you are not overweight so maybe you just need yo focus on some exercise and carb cutting to reduce any spot tummy weight as I believe that it is this that is at the root of metabolic syndrome in otherwise slender people. I've only been on here a week or so and have found everyone very supportive of one another so when it all gets too much, come in here for support as stress can bump BS up too.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh Jack I do totally understand what you are saying and I guess she probably was trying to help but there are ways of saying things and especially as I was already feeling a bit delicate lol x

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
See I would take it as being helpful if I was indeed overweight. The docs have already agreed I dont fit the criteria for type 2 :( only really that I have strong family history. From what she was saying she implied that I was to blame :( after id been in tears at the docs and they finally got me to think reasonably about things :( well thats what it felt like on the recieving end of her words :(

regardless of any 'helpful' intent, she is only helpful if you feel helped, this wasn't the case. You had a plan of action that you and your Dr decided on and felt she was being critical of you, something none of us need. you already has an emotional time at the Dr.

it's like me in this thread,,,:confused:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Jax, I hope you take this as it's meant. As you know, the BG under control is the most important thing and the adjustment of diet, exercise and meds are the way it's done for T2.
I know it upset you and it wasn't asked for or welcomed, although cumbersomely, I feel the chemist was trying to help you.
It's not much different than you will read here on a lot of posts here. There is never-ending advice given about LCHF to lose weight, to get your BG down so you can reduce meds.

Quote :-I know it upset you and it wasn't asked for or welcomed, although cumbersomely, I feel the chemist was trying to help you.
It's not much different than you will read here on a lot of posts here

jack412, yes, but we are not pharmacists. ,Members can get a little carried away at times with replies on forums, especially just with a screen in front of you. This was face to face from a professional and somewhat belittling to the OP and soul destroying at the time. Obviously upsetting for her.