Run out of metformin

diabolic sister

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I ran out of metformin on Friday, forgot to request repeat prescription, I thought I had plenty..silly me. Chemist won't open til Tuesday. I'm LADA on 2x 500mg met x twice daily, 14 units Levimir at night and a bolus at meals. Wobbly control at best. Is it essential to take met when on insulin? Currently, successfully sticking to very low carb til I get more met. Is there a down side to stopping suddenly? I'm tempted to try life without it. Any insights welcome please.

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It won't harm you to miss the Metformin and there is no downside from withdrawal symptoms if that is what you are worried about. It really doesn't do a great deal to lower BS levels, so you probably won't even notice much difference in your levels. It helps a little with reducing the amount of glucose the liver produces naturally, and helps a little with insulin resistance, but is mainly an appetite suppressant.

Reactions: diabolic sister

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ran out of metformin on Friday, forgot to request repeat prescription, I thought I had plenty..silly me. Chemist won't open til Tuesday. I'm LADA on 2x 500mg met x twice daily, 14 units Levimir at night and a bolus at meals. Wobbly control at best. Is it essential to take met when on insulin? Currently, successfully sticking to very low carb til I get more met. Is there a down side to stopping suddenly? I'm tempted to try life without it. Any insights welcome please.

Hi,

That's a tricky one.. (I don't take met.)
What have your fasting BG levels been like? (Focusing on the basal insulin performance without having the effects of the metformin mentioned by Bluetit.)
Basal testing would be a start from the ground up regarding managment without met..

Ultimately, you would need to discuss this with your doc, if planning to drop the met long term....

Edit; a thought just occurred to me! Tagging in @Daibell . Got a hunch this guy might have more concise advise regarding your meds...

Last edited:

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Youre type 1 on insulin and oral meds of metformin and forxiga. Type 1 diabetics aren't usually on oral meds unless there is some insulin resistance going on. Do you have insulin resistance? What's your total daily dose of insulin? With a basal dose of 14 it's probably not high enough to suggest insulin resistance (although you might be having to do some pretty strong boluses through the day if you only take levemir at night, levemir only lasts 12-14 hours so will have run out mid morning and your bolus doses will be having to do the job of your basal, you might want to consider basal testing and see if that indicates a split dose).

If you are thinking about stopping oral meds do discuss with your DSN. They can also discuss splitting your basal.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For me Metformin built up slowly and then, when I stopped, took time to disperse, so I wouldn't expeect drastic changes before you can get more supplies.
I have not felt any effects from stopping conpletely - but I am type two so it might be wise to consult whoever prescribed the Metformin for you.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My DN said that a drug takes a month to get out of your system so a few days shouldn't be a problem especially since there are no reasons given for taking Metformin for a short term effect. All benefits seem to be "down the line".

Metformin certainly never affected my blood sugar levels for good or bad.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
but is mainly an appetite suppressant.

It never suppressed my appetite
Is there a down side to stopping suddenly? I'm tempted to try life without it.

Probably better to take medical advice although I have forgotten the odd tablet here and there.

"The primary effect of taking metformin is that the release of glucose from the liver is lessened, resulting in lower blood sugars. Metformin also works to lower blood sugar in two secondary ways: by increasing your sensitivity to insulin and decreasing the amount of glucose that is absorbed from the food you eat."

Personally I've never noticed appetite suppression despite what it say on "the tin" and my BG improved enough for me to notice when I was first prescribed.

If you are tempted to live without it, your BG readings will show up any major changes, if there are any.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Probably better to take medical advice although I have forgotten the odd tablet here and there.

"The primary effect of taking metformin is that the release of glucose from the liver is lessened, resulting in lower blood sugars. Metformin also works to lower blood sugar in two secondary ways: by increasing your sensitivity to insulin and decreasing the amount of glucose that is absorbed from the food you eat."

It is also known to have many other advantages as my DSN told me last week at my annual review, including protecting the heart. It is the only medication I am happy and willing to take long-term because of its benefits

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Personally I've never noticed appetite suppression despite what it say on "the tin" and my BG improved enough for me to notice when I was first prescribed.

If you are tempted to live without it, your BG readings will show up any major changes, if there are any.
It doesn't suppress my appetite either. I take two a day. Maybe I need to take more for appetite suppression?

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I can't take metformin, normal or slow release at all, the side effects were awful. I was clearing out the bathroom cupboard last week and found a pack of metformin, still in date with 4 left in the box. Out of curiosity I took 2 just to see if I could cope with them...... Not my best idea as I was sleeping on the boat that night, before sailing to Scrabster early the next day. On the way to the ferry I had to call into the local Co-op for emergency imodium!
When taking metformin it didn't suppress my appetite, other than keeping me on the loo for hours!