Running with T1

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Decided I must be having a premature midlife crisis as I've downloaded a couch to 5k app and started running!! Taking things very easy to start with but this is pretty much the first time I've done serious cardio since being diagnosed (shame on me, I know).

I have two questions I'm hoping those of you with more exercise/insulin management experience may be able to help me with:
1. What do you carry your monitor in? Would a small rucksack be best? At the moment I'm just having to hold it in my hand.
2. After a 25 minute walk/run at 8:30pm last night I went to bed at 11pm with no bolus on board at 11.2mmol, and was astounded to wake up at 4.8mmol at 7am!! It's scared me a little. I currently take 6u Lantus at 9pm, should I reduce this?

I'm seeing the consultant in a few weeks hopefully so can speak to them about it then, but thought I'd get the opinions of you guys first. Thanks! :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am no exercise expert but yes, if you can, you should be looking to reduce your basal following prolonged activity....

it might work out that you need to reduce other doses as well but just the basal to begin with is a good start....

a more flexible insulin like levemir might be better also but your not on much anyway so it may not make much of a difference....

it reminds me, I need to start running or something....:(

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice. I'm reluctant to reduce my bolus as that seemed to work fine so I agree, think basal will be the way to go to start with.

Haha good luck!!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if your going to do your runs at the same time and at night then its fits perfectly into your evening basal dose which makes it simpler....

going for a run at lunch for example may need some reduction for evening meal bolus etc....

so your timing is ideal...

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I work 9-5 so evenings is the only option for me really. Definitely not going to be getting up at 6am to run!! ;)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is my only option too, but need to wait till 10pm till the wife comes back from work and the kids are in bed....

it so hard to get motivated...

Harrysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I always run with my testing kit and Haribo in one of these - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/trail-bag-small-id_8312248.html , unfortunately from a Basal/Bolus point of view there is a lot of trial and error involved. Depending on the duration/time of day and insulin on board I may reduce my Bolus if it is <2hr before a run and, or reduce my overnight Basal. This video is worth a look -
, and so is this web site - http://www.runsweet.com/ . I love running and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes to your control and how powerful it can be in lowering your blood sugar level, most importantly be careful and safe! ;)

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah ok :) Think it'll be a long while before I can class any of my runs as "long" haha