Not open for further replies.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
About 17 years ago, they did a study in Southall & Brent on heart, blood pressure & diabetes. They are doing a follow up study now.

At that time I remember I was not at risk for diabetes, & my general health & lifestyle, etc were such that a cholesterol level of 6.4 was no cause for concern.

Is anyone else on the forum involved?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I'm waiting for the taxi to take me to (Name removed) Hospital, Paddington. I need my early morning tea :(
They've promised me a sandwich after the tests - eat the filling & throw the bread to the pigeons.

On our stretch of the Grand Union Canal, where there are normally 50-100 swans, together with geese & ducks, they have a notice "PLEASE NOT NOT THROW FOOD WASTE INTO THE CANAL." I think they mean that the children should not throw bread to feed the birds.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I had to get up at 6 for the taxi to take me to (Name removed) Hospital, Paddington. I need my early morning tea. Slept for 7 hours last night instead of waking up in the night with postherpetic neuralgia. PTL!.

I finally got my early morning tea at about 11:45 :(
In the interests of research - blood tests, MRI, CTscan, ECG, retina & lens photos, cognitive tests .... all good, even though I was falling asleep during the cognitive tests. You try remembering a list of 7 numbers & repeating them backwards when you're dropping off. Most of the tests were insulting, such as which goes with a tree? choice of boot, bucket, flower.

I wish they had done the blood test first, then given me my cup of tea. :roll:

Afterwards they offered a choice of sandwiches or baps, & as I don't eat bread, they made me a salad. Lots of chunky chicken, butit was loaded with green peppers which my metabolism doesn't cope with.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Most of the tests were insulting, such as which goes with a tree? choice of boot, bucket, flower.
But what was the right answer?
Long ago there was an 11+ question. Which is the odd one out, cat dog radio? The average child would say radio, the bright or perhaps lateral thinker would say cat because (at the time) it was the one that didn't need a licence. :)
Do they give you any individual feedback on the results?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
phoenix said:
Most of the tests were insulting, such as which goes with a tree? choice of boot, bucket, flower.
But what was the right answer?
Long ago there was an 11+ question. Which is the odd one out, cat dog radio? The average child would say radio, the bright or perhaps lateral thinker would say cat because (at the time) it was the one that didn't need a licence. :)
Do they give you any individual feedback on the results?
I was assured I did better than average, & that all the tests were normal & healthy. I was too tired to apply lateral thinking - or I would have :lol: I failed one of the "repeat numbers" tests as I was distracted by recalling a chess grandmaster being challenged with a list of obscure long words & repeating them forwards & backwards.

I will be sent the report - for myself in a few weeks & the study in several years time.

The questionaire had nothing about diet - I pointed out that any study of heart & diabetes should take diet into account. I added a page.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Now they are following up SABRE with AMORE* & counting my wife in. We find out what AMORE stands for at a special lunch tomorrow.

Will they remember my comments on their lack of interest in diet for heart & diabetic health?
icon_Christo_pull_hair.gif

Our 'Caroliners' choir is currently including 'That's Amore' in its programme - remember :?:

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie- that's amore;

Wonder what they will provide for lunch :?: :!: :?:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I still don't know what the new AMORE acronym stands for - it appeared on one screen briefly. It's nothing to do with love. The 'O' stands for 'obesity' as their studies over 20 years have indicated that obesity & particularly waist size contribute to diabetes. The new project is concerned with diet & lifestyle, & will include physical activity. It also includes spouses. SABRE was only men.

We were,of course, offered tea & biscuits on arrival, so I requested diabetic friendly fruit from a box at the back. A luscious peach dripped everywhere :oops: Lunch was sandwiches & rolls as expected. I took my own egg & nut-based 'bread' (it's bread, Jim, but not as we know it) & scraped out the excellent fillings ... To be fair, they were concerned with heart & diabetes, & not all were diabetic. Asian & African origin folk were vastly more likely to have diabetes.

I had the opportunity to challenge the diet recommendations. "You give us starchy carb diet recommendations, & advise us that diabetes is progressive. You are not diabetic - we are & we have to live with it. Cutting the carb vastly improves our health."

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
The organiser phoned me so I have the answer:

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's Adverse Metabolic effects of Obesity in Relation to Ethnicity.

The programme is delayed as the Hospital don't want to scan anyone who might have any metal in their bodies (for screening studies as distinct from diagnostic.)

Status
Not open for further replies.