Sad, Confused needing advice

Naomi19536

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I was told on Tuesday I have type 2 diabetes I must admit it's really upset me iv spent most of the week in tears as I know I only have myself to blame, my doctor barely gave me any advice he more or less put the fear of death in me gave me a meter and sent me on my way. But my biggest question is what foods are best for me to eat I'm a very very picky eater have been all my life I barely eat any meat my diet mostly consists of pasta, rice and potatoes which are obviously full of carbs I just don't know what to eat everytime I get high numbers it's getting me so down that I just don't want to eat. Hope my post makes sense thank you for reading.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Naomi19536 Welcome to the forum ;)

It is a huge shock but what you eat will become second nature in no time at all, so try to take each day as it comes. The best advice is to learn as much as possible and become an expert on managing yourself and your diet, I am tagging @daisy1 for her welcome pack for new members which will help you get your head around this.

Naomi19536

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Naomi19536 Welcome to the forum ;)

It is a huge shock but what you eat will become second nature in no time at all, so try to take each day as it comes. The best advice is to learn as much as possible and become an expert on managing yourself and your diet, I am tagging @daisy1 for her welcome pack for new members which will help you get your head around this.
Thank you so much it's just nice to hear encouraging words my husband has tried his best but don't think he knows what to say or do. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

We all felt like that when we were diagnosed, but now you have found this site the confusion will disappear and you will get all the help you need from fellow diabetics. One good thing is you have been given a meter! That is very unusual. Most of us have to buy our own.

You already know that pasta, rice and potatoes give you high numbers and this gets you down. Add to those foods bread and cereals and you may feel there is nothing left. But you would be wrong.

You can eat any meat, any fish (especially oily fish), tomatoes, mushrooms, bacon, as many eggs as you like, green veggies, salads, avocado, nuts, olive oil, mayonnaise, cheese, butter, cream, strawberries, raspberries, a small apple, tea and coffee, red wine and spirits. The list is endless. You may also find, through testing, that you can manage small portions of rice, or pasta, or spuds. Your meter will tell you that.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Don't panic! There is life after diagnosis and the chances are that with a change in diet you will feel hugely better.

You were lucky to get a meter so you can test out which foods cause your blood glucose to rise and which don't really affect you. The best times to test are when you wake up (fasting), 2 hours after breakfast, just before lunch, 2 hours after lunch, just before dinner, 2 hours after dinner then just before going to bed.

Your diet sounds very similar to the way I used to eat before I started low carbing but as @Bluetit1802 says, there are lots of different foods for you to try and test. If you are desperate for bread and live near a Lidl they do a triangular protein roll in the loose rolls baskets, a lot of people on this forum find they can tolerate them.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Lordy5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome,

We all felt like that when we were diagnosed, but now you have found this site the confusion will disappear and you will get all the help you need from fellow diabetics. One good thing is you have been given a meter! That is very unusual. Most of us have to buy our own.

You already know that pasta, rice and potatoes give you high numbers and this gets you down. Add to those foods bread and cereals and you may feel there is nothing left. But you would be wrong.

You can eat any meat, any fish (especially oily fish), tomatoes, mushrooms, bacon, as many eggs as you like, green veggies, salads, avocado, nuts, olive oil, mayonnaise, cheese, butter, cream, strawberries, raspberries, a small apple, tea and coffee, red wine and spirits. The list is endless. You may also find, through testing, that you can manage small portions of rice, or pasta, or spuds. Your meter will tell you that.

I was diagnosed a three months ago and just like you I ate a lot of rice. potato and pasta before being diagnosed. I'm a bit new to this to offer much advice other than I found Sweet Potato's really don't effect my sugar much at all. I was able to straight swap them for normal ones and had really good results. Hang in there and try not to let it get you down. Its not a nice thing to be diagnosed with but there are worse things you can get. Wishing you all the best.

Reactions: Juicyj

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Naomi19536

Hello Naomi and welcome to the forum :) Here is the basic information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. It will give you advice on carbs and a link to the Low Carb Program which you could join. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 220,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi and welcome to the forum,
I'm four months into diagnosis, things do get easier and your reaction is perfectly normal, it is a big change in life but I've found it is manageable. the biggest problem I had was getting my head around it all.
Take a look at the information on Low carb dieting. I started by simply reducing the carbs I was eating by half and increasing the protein and veg I was eating instead. So I've not cut them out altogether, I'm loosing weight, my Hba1c has reduced from 53 to 40 and my blood sugars are between 5-7mmols every time.
So it is possible to get every thing back under control with a few simple changes.
So take heart, learn about the condition and allow people here to support you on your journey. Don't be scared to ask questions your get lost of advise from people who have had similar or the same issues and worked through it and their lived experience can be invaluable.
Good luck.
Maggie

Reactions: Freema and zand

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed August last year - and I don't mind admitting I too shed tears over it - its such a hard thing to accept -
So hang in there - you have come to the right place for support - this site is full of people who truly understand how you feel - the thing that has kept me going is the consolation that at least this condition can be controlled/tamed by your own choices - there is so much good advice on here - go over to the success stories part of the forum - you will see inspirational stories of people who have turned their lives around - its a very personal thing in your life and hard for someone who has not experienced it to truly understand - but - here - you among friends who can offer advice and support from their own experience - I wish you well - don't be afraid to ask for help on here.

Reactions: Peppergirl

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Hi and welcome to the forum,
I'm four months into diagnosis, things do get easier and your reaction is perfectly normal, it is a big change in life but I've found it is manageable. the biggest problem I had was getting my head around it all.
Take a look at the information on Low carb dieting. I started by simply reducing the carbs I was eating by half and increasing the protein and veg I was eating instead. So I've not cut them out altogether, I'm loosing weight, my Hba1c has reduced from 53 to 40 and my blood sugars are between 5-7mmols every time.
So it is possible to get every thing back under control with a few simple changes.
So take heart, learn about the condition and allow people here to support you on your journey. Don't be scared to ask questions your get lost of advise from people who have had similar or the same issues and worked through it and their lived experience can be invaluable.
Good luck.
Maggie
I definitely agree with that - my HbAC1 was 102 when diagnosed 4 months ago - at the start of December it was down to 50 - due to combination of one medication and a huge change of diet. Take heart - it doesn't mean life is over - just a change in diet (and a change in wardrobe - downsizing). I still have my odd treat - but find now that I have largely lost my sweet tooth, I have lost the craving I used to have for sweets.

Reactions: KezG

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I know it feels that way at the moment, but it's not the end of the world, truly it isn't.

Five months ago I was the one sobbing at the doctor's when I got the news and then there was a week of what I can only call grief.

Now that you've found this website and these forums, you will start to feel reassured and, dare I say it, even hopeful.

It's great that the doc gave you a meter. I hope they will give you test strips on prescription too. As to food, if there are low-carb things that you cannot countenance eating, don't eat them. Go through your favourites and see which ones you can enjoy without enduring high blood sugar readings afterwards. If there are foods you've never tried or feel indifferent about, give them (another) go once you've checked their carb levels.

Great that you like veg - do you like cheese, too? And butter? And olive oil? There are also low-carb noodles and pasta out there, made from konjac fibre. The two brands I've tried - and they're OK - are in Sainsbury's and in Holland & Barrett, as well as some wholefood stores. They don't spike me either.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi I was told on Tuesday I have type 2 diabetes I must admit it's really upset me iv spent most of the week in tears as I know I only have myself to blame, my doctor barely gave me any advice he more or less put the fear of death in me gave me a meter and sent me on my way. But my biggest question is what foods are best for me to eat I'm a very very picky eater have been all my life I barely eat any meat my diet mostly consists of pasta, rice and potatoes which are obviously full of carbs I just don't know what to eat everytime I get high numbers it's getting me so down that I just don't want to eat. Hope my post makes sense thank you for reading.

I can't completely understand as I've (barely) avoided a diagnosis but I do know that this is NOT your fault. Hon, you haven't done anything wrong. You've eaten what we all do (did), what is considered 'normal'. That the norm is not good for any of us and can lead to obesity and diabetes T2 isn't your responsibility and doesn't attach blame to you but to the dire advice we've been given for 50 years. You're strong and can change your lifestyle to a low carb one. Promise, it's surprisingly easy and sustainable. :D

Reactions: Peppergirl

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure that you likes such bland tasteless things, or was it what you put with the starchy foods which was the attraction?
I don't think I was at all upset by my diagnosis as it simply clarified the situation - I was right about what I should have been eating, as elevated cholesterol is not a day by day threat to my wellbeing, not compared to diabetes.
Could you try making curries with cauliflower 'rice' or make spiralised vegetables such as courgette to replace noodles? I used to grow vegetable spaghetti in the garden - they look like melons but when cooked the insides are very spaghetti like.
It is hardly your fault that you have diabetes - there is so much rubbish information out there to pretend that eating grain and starchy food is 'healthy' when they shorten your life considerably if you are not one of the lucky ones able to cope with them.
Just take a deep breath, look up the lists of things you can eat on a low carb lifestyle and pick out some to try.
You are so lucky to have been given a meter so you can monitor how your blood glucose alters. keep a note of what you eat, test your blood before and two hours after eating and you should soon see what is safe to eat. Not only that but if you stick to things which do not spike your BG readings then you could see the readings falling - mine have gone down week by week, and I am getting below 7 mmol/l now. That is coming close to normal in under 2 months.

Reactions: KezG and Peppergirl

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed August last year - and I don't mind admitting I too shed tears over it - its such a hard thing to accept -
So hang in there - you have come to the right place for support - this site is full of people who truly understand how you feel - the thing that has kept me going is the consolation that at least this condition can be controlled/tamed by your own choices - there is so much good advice on here - go over to the success stories part of the forum - you will see inspirational stories of people who have turned their lives around - its a very personal thing in your life and hard for someone who has not experienced it to truly understand - but - here - you among friends who can offer advice and support from their own experience - I wish you well - don't be afraid to ask for help on here.

wow your numbers are awesome !

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I said to my GP that I have given myself this disease I am totally to blame, his reply was
"You have not done this to yourself, your pancreas has"
Did make me feel a little better hope this helps you too.

Reactions: Naomi19536

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was having a conversation with my neighbour earlier, a guy I've been friendly with for years. He was really supportive and revealed he has been T2 for over ten years.

Simple advice he gave, modify your eating, eat to the meter at first, work out what you can tolerate and then move on. He said you'll feel so much healthier when you figure it all out and a lot of those unexplained health niggles will resolve.

Ultimately, Western diet is to blame, not individuals. Dietary advice has been flawed for decades.

I used to give the ex mother in law some grief for cooking in lard, eating full fat butter etc, ironic that's she's now 85 and still in good health. She always said I was talking nonsense.

Reactions: KezG and Peppergirl

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't completely understand as I've (barely) avoided a diagnosis but I do know that this is NOT your fault. Hon, you haven't done anything wrong. You've eaten what we all do (did), what is considered 'normal'. That the norm is not good for any of us and can lead to obesity and diabetes T2 isn't your responsibility and doesn't attach blame to you but to the dire advice we've been given for 50 years. You're strong and can change your lifestyle to a low carb one. Promise, it's surprisingly easy and sustainable. :D
Have to agree with this. Do NOT blame yourself. I've been overweight for years because I was trying to stick to what I was told was healthy to some extent. No biscuits in the house, no sugar in tea or coffee, no chocolate except christmas, and so on. I was far from perfect I know. Really rather annoyed when the advice I got was to stop eating chocolate, and drinking sugary drinks that I don't. 'You need to change to low fat spread' was particularly annoying since the lowest fat one we used to use is now unavailable. Mind you, I'm not looking for it any more! Never helped that I was always hungry (or even hangry) either. I thought I might struggle with changing what I ate because I'm not a fan of vegetables particularly, but I'm never hungry. Last week being overseas on business was more of a challenge (German canteens are big on carbs) but you may find it easier than you think.

Reactions: kittypoker and KezG

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I said to my GP that I have given myself this disease I am totally to blame, his reply was
"You have not done this to yourself, your pancreas has"
Did make me feel a little better hope this helps you too.

Sounds like your GP, like mine, is doing his/her best to avoid a life-changing diagnosis. We can do it with a little effort. I really don't want a sweet any more. Good heavens, did I really say that? :woot: