Sad, Confused needing advice

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Sounds like your GP, like mine, is doing his/her best to avoid a life-changing diagnosis. We can do it with a little effort. I really don't want a sweet any more. Good heavens, did I really say that? :woot:

My problem was always believing and being constantly told sugar was really bad together with all fats so one good thing I never developed a sweet tooth, however I had a full set of carb dentures oh how I loved my carbs any kind of carb never realising that once swallowed were transformed into sugar and stored as fat but now I am a restricted carb zone.
I always said dieting made me fatter now I know why.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have to agree with this. Do NOT blame yourself. I've been overweight for years because I was trying to stick to what I was told was healthy to some extent. No biscuits in the house, no sugar in tea or coffee, no chocolate except christmas, and so on. I was far from perfect I know. Really rather annoyed when the advice I got was to stop eating chocolate, and drinking sugary drinks that I don't. 'You need to change to low fat spread' was particularly annoying since the lowest fat one we used to use is now unavailable. Mind you, I'm not looking for it any more! Never helped that I was always hungry (or even hangry) either. I thought I might struggle with changing what I ate because I'm not a fan of vegetables particularly, but I'm never hungry. Last week being overseas on business was more of a challenge (German canteens are big on carbs) but you may find it easier than you think.

Never being hungry is the one thing that's worked best for me. I'm happy to eat, no disorder, but once a day, twice if I fancy it, plus a coffee or two with cream in the morning is fine. Every other diet, counting calories, I was ravenous all the time. Now, food is nice but not an obsession. I don't bake, not a clue what a fat bomb is, just have a bit to satisfy and I'm done. Such a good lifestyle.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My problem was always believing and being constantly told sugar was really bad together with all fats so one good thing I never developed a sweet tooth, however I had a full set of carb dentures oh how I loved my carbs any kind of carb never realising that once swallowed were transformed into sugar and stored as fat but now I am a restricted carb zone.

We've got it! Honestly, better late than never. We have the opportunity to extend our lives and make them slimmer and happier by cutting down drastically on those pesky carbs. It's not even difficult. Bye bye, starch and sugar except for VERY exceptional circumstances. :)

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I always thought I eat healthy - low fat products etc - yet I have been over weight most of adult life and could not understand why I couldn't shift the weight - fell for the con trick that is Low Fat lifestyle - its only after finding this site and understanding LCHF and the real drivers of T2 that I have finally managed to lose weight - without cravings/hunger etc - Insulin Resistance more likely the root cause of my obesity - coupled with an inadvertent high carb diet = recipe for being overweight and on the path to T2. I remember telling people that if I ever developed diabetes I would be OK as I didn't really have a sweet tooth - but loved crisps, bread, and pretty much anything savoury that I would still be OK eating , right ? The Health Authorities and big food companies have a lot to answer for - I really hope that one day they are held to account.

Reactions: ziggy_w