Saline start

cherylt1d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ladies and gents, im on the saline start for my minimed pump. Im due to change set tomoro but i was only given one saline bottle home on monday (set was changed on thursday) im due to start insulin on tuesday.

Question is what do i do? Source a saline bottle and change set as normal tomoro or leave it off until tuesday?

D

Deleted Account

I dn't know the minimed. However, the Animas Vibe allows you to change the cannula without changing the cartridge. Is that an option?
As the saline for familiarity, technically, you do not have to wear the pump so you could take it off until you get insulin. But it would be a shame to miss out on familiarity time.

Reactions: cherylt1d

cherylt1d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes i think i can change the set and have the same cartridge. I feel pretty accustomed to it already. Forget its there sometimes i dont feel it.

Thank you for your response :)

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @cherylt1d
sorry can't help with the specific query.
I didn't do a saline start then switch to insulin.

do you get an indication of your saline left in the cartridge ?
if there is still a good quantity in there , then the set change could / should be independent of refilling the cartridge ( I think )

I will tag @Juicyj , @Snapsy , @claire1991 for their support too.

all the best -- and best of luck going "live" on Tuesday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

cherylt1d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi there @cherylt1d
sorry can't help with the specific query.
I didn't do a saline start then switch to insulin.

do you get an indication of your saline left in the cartridge ?
if there is still a good quantity in there , then the set change could / should be independent of refilling the cartridge ( I think )

I will tag @Juicyj , @Snapsy , @claire1991 for their support too.

all the best -- and best of luck going "live" on Tuesday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
Hi yes there is. I have 32u left. Thank you, i cant wait!

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey!
Is the 32u going to last you until Tuesday?
I think if it were me I'd change the set and leave it to run out and then take it off. No point running it if it's empty, the saline start is just to get you used to the pump and how it works and feels before you commit to it so if you've got the hang of it then it's done it's job.

Happy days!

cherylt1d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!
Is the 32u going to last you until Tuesday?
I think if it were me I'd change the set and leave it to run out and then take it off. No point running it if it's empty, the saline start is just to get you used to the pump and how it works and feels before you commit to it so if you've got the hang of it then it's done it's job.

Happy days!
Im not sure. So if im comfortable with it and the changes etc id be ok to leave it off till i go live on tuesday? X

Reactions: claire1991

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im not sure. So if im comfortable with it and the changes etc id be ok to leave it off till i go live on tuesday? X

It may be worth leaving it on and letting it run out.
It should have a warning for when it's about to run out so at least you'll get a chance to hear/feel the warning so you'll know what to look out for when it's running properly.

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi yes there is. I have 32u left. Thank you, i cant wait!
this is where I come undone -- I don't know what all your settings are so can't advise -- Claire seems to have some great advice

plus -- you could ring your DSN on Monday morning for clarification ??

all the best !!
xx

Reactions: cherylt1d

cherylt1d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may be worth leaving it on and letting it run out.
It should have a warning for when it's about to run out so at least you'll get a chance to hear/feel the warning so you'll know what to look out for when it's running properly.
I wont be able to change it till after lunchtime tomorrow so ill no doubt hear the alarms/notifications by then

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wont be able to change it till after lunchtime tomorrow so ill no doubt hear the alarms/notifications by then

Excellent!!!

I remember when it first happened to me. I was in bed and it went off and I pooped my pants thinking it was broken!
Always better to be prepared!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't have a saline start, @cherylt1d , but when I first started talking to the Diabetes Centre about the prospect of getting a pump, they lent me an old one.

I had a cannula stuck to me (not inserted, just the plaster, not the going-inny-bit) and I wore the pump for a fortnight, disconnecting and reconnecting for showers and swimming etc.

The pump I borrowed was empty and off. But I found it HUGELY beneficial to live with it, sleep with it, talk to it (!) even though it wasn't doing anything.

In your position I would carry on with as much saline as you still have, then when it runs out I'd keep wearing it, but I'd lose the 'live' cannula and stick on - rather than insert - a new one, so I could continue wearing the pump, even though you're not then doing the stuff like pressing the buttons to deliver a bolus, or whatever.

Does that make sense? It's a sort of 'better than nothing' scenario, if you like!

Hope all goes well next week as a new pumper! I LOVE my pump. It took me a while to get my basal sorted, but I LOVE that box of tricks!

Love Snapsy
:)

cherylt1d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't have a saline start, @cherylt1d , but when I first started talking to the Diabetes Centre about the prospect of getting a pump, they lent me an old one.

I had a cannula stuck to me (not inserted, just the plaster, not the going-inny-bit) and I wore the pump for a fortnight, disconnecting and reconnecting for showers and swimming etc.

The pump I borrowed was empty and off. But I found it HUGELY beneficial to live with it, sleep with it, talk to it (!) even though it wasn't doing anything.

In your position I would carry on with as much saline as you still have, then when it runs out I'd keep wearing it, but I'd lose the 'live' cannula and stick on - rather than insert - a new one, so I could continue wearing the pump, even though you're not then doing the stuff like pressing the buttons to deliver a bolus, or whatever.

Does that make sense? It's a sort of 'better than nothing' scenario, if you like!

Hope all goes well next week as a new pumper! I LOVE my pump. It took me a while to get my basal sorted, but I LOVE that box of tricks!

Love Snapsy
:)
Now that sounds like a plan! Just simply cut off the cannula bit?

Reactions: claire1991

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Now that sounds like a plan! Just simply cut off the cannula bit?
I don't know the design of your brand, but on mine I can simply take a cannula out of the box, not prime it to go 'ping' but just peel off the backing paper and stick it on like a plaster.

cherylt1d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know the design of your brand, but on mine I can simply take a cannula out of the box, not prime it to go 'ping' but just peel off the backing paper and stick it on like a plaster.
Hmm i dunno. Ill try cutting it off anyway haha

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds very different to the type I use - on mine I wouldn't need to cut anything off, just peel and stick. Sorry I don't know!