Satisfy my paranoia about diet drinks?

The Governor

Guys,

In my paranoid state about foods at the moment, can someone reassure me that if I drink diet drinks like Lemonade and Pepsi that is okay blood sugar wise?

My GP said it was, but based on my experience this week I don't want to take anything at face value :)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Read the list of ingredients.If it has anything ending in 'ose' ,that's a sugar,if it has Aspartame that's got phenylalanine which can interfere with insulin absorption.i'd stick to water myself!!

ally5555

If you are drinking one diet drink a day then it is prob not going to have any effect. There is still alot of speculation about the effects of aspartame. However i would be more concerned about the effects on my teeth - the acidity of diet drinks strips the enamel of your teeth so I would drink water.

The Governor

Yeah, I'm mostly drinking squash, but was hoping the odd can of diet pepsi/lemonade would be allowable... I think you're both saying yes?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge -pole,but that's a personal choice,I didn't like the stuff even when I was a non diabetic.As Ally says ,the occasional one should be OK...2-3 litres a day,probably not!!

ally5555

I don't like them either sue - they appear sweeter i think and i dont lik ethe aftertaste of aspartame.
i once saw a guy who drank 3 x 3 litr bottle a day of ordinary coke - that was rather OTT I think - but he wasnt a diabetic !but he was 28st!

lionrampant

Should be fine mate. The argument however for avoiding aspartame is a good one so try and find diet drinks that don't use it.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
ally5555 said:
I don't like them either sue - they appear sweeter i think and i dont lik ethe aftertaste of aspartame.
i once saw a guy who drank 3 x 3 litr bottle a day of ordinary coke - that was rather OTT I think - but he wasnt a diabetic !but he was 28st!

My sons used to get through a huge amount of these fizzy drinks,coke,irn bru,sprite etc.My shopping bill went down drastically when they left home! :lol:

The Governor

lionrampant said:
Should be fine mate. The argument however for avoiding aspartame is a good one so try and find diet drinks that don't use it.

Which argument is that lion? I hadn't tumbled to that one yet?

lionrampant

Yeah pretty much. It's been associated with all sorts of unpleasant side effects, and even some long term damage depending on whose rather basic research you believe.

It's worth erring on the side of caution and avoiding .

Look at it this way, stores like ASDA have started labelling drinks "aspartame free".

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Aspartame just tastes foul. Saccharine is better, but not much. A little fructose is probably Ok occasionally and Sucrulose. is bearable. Polyols often cause the tummygrumbles and are toxic to dogs, so you have to be careful where you leave them. Drinks left on the floor beside chairs in my house tend to get snarfed up by passing canines. Remember only half a sucrose molecule is glucose, so it may be the safest sweetener after all. It's best to drink water. Unsweetened tea or coffee is ok too and what about milk?

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I used to drink loads of the fizzy diet stuff. Then leading up to this diabetes business I found that they only thing I liked was sparkling water - I didn't like it before! Since being diagnosed I stll have a thing for it and I find diet coke and most doet drinks too sweet - how odd I never dreamt I would ever say something was too sweet :?

I do still have a liking for the occasional whisky & dry and have the diet version then!

chevpol

Hi all,

I drink perfectly clear, 0.0 sugar, 0.0 fat, 0.0 saturates, <1% salt, 2.8 calories, just looked at ingrediants, sweetener aspartamel

Is this ok?

Mark

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
There's quite a few threads on here about aspartame.Go to the box at the top right of page and do a search and you will find a lot of info about it.