Sauce? What do you use?

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am getting a bit fed up with cheesy sauces. I love soy but cannot have that because of an underactive thyroid.
What do you all use instead of tomato sauces? Is there a good gravy/thicker sauce you use that has no flour?
Am I doomed to dry dinner?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I use encona hot pepper sauce and dunns pepper sauce. Both are on the hot side but diabetes friendly.

Also my wife uses stock cubes and the natural juices from fish or meat.

Reactions: seanj67

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Spicy sauce mixed with mayo. Can be thinned for salad dressing

I concocted a very low carb gravy last thanksgiving using mushrooms as a base. Other ingredient were broth, garlic, Sage, oregano, rosemary, onion, S&P.
I must admit it was delish. It too can be thinned for a soup/ stew base. Just add protein and veggies

Freezes well

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have used double cream with a dash of Worcester sauce,also a full fat Mayo with a dash of lemon juice or wine vinegar on salads.I am relatively new to this,so experiment,using the Mayo or cream as a carrier.I also have a bottle of Lancashire sauce I add for a spicier flavour.There is also a Yorkshire sauce(just to be even handed!)but I can't remember it's name;)The cream or mayo dilutes the baddies so my BS isn't raised.Ithink Diet Doctor has some ideas for sauces and ketchup recipe.Hope this helps........just remembered the Yorkshire sauce is Hendersons Relish.

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Horseradish with mayo. Dill with mayo
Infused flavored olive oils or regular but with herbs added.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am getting a bit fed up with cheesy sauces. I love soy but cannot have that because of an underactive thyroid.
What do you all use instead of tomato sauces? Is there a good gravy/thicker sauce you use that has no flour?
Am I doomed to dry dinner?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use encona hot pepper sauce and dunns pepper sauce. Both are on the hot side but diabetes friendly.

Also my wife uses stock cubes and the natural juices from fish or meat.
Unless @Kentoldlady1 finds a vindaloo a bit bland then using Encona or Dunn's instead of tomato ketchup might be a mistake!

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Econa or Dunns are my choice. A couple of drops on meat or omelette works wonders. I have mixed it with yogurt too. Econa do several versions with different heat from memory.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Unless @Kentoldlady1 finds a vindaloo a bit bland then using Encona or Dunn's instead of tomato ketchup might be a mistake!
I grew up on this stuff so for me it is mild, and I use it like ketchup, but agree that for first timers, this would be explosive, so use with caution.