Saying hi, and PIP anyone??

Lozchan

hi, I'm Lorraine, a mum of a 25 year old young man, who has been diabetic since 10. I have just had a petition published to get the government to recognise that diabetics type 1. are entitled to the new PIP. My son was refused at tribunal despite also being on the autistic spectrum. I need 10,000 signatures for the government to even be bothered to look at a petition and then 100,000 for them to discuss. I think it's really unfair that all of sudden many are being refused the PIP. I was wondering if anyone had been successful in being awarded the pip. And if anyone would be interested in signing the petition. My son has constant hypo unawareness yet the medical assessor scored him 0 on the new assessment. And basically said he can look after himself!!! Don't think so!! As he fits when he hypos and then goes unconscious. Thanks for any advise or help.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome Lozchan hope some in here can answer your questions... seems a sad an dangerous situation your son is in... I am from Denmark so cant really do anything except offer my sympathy right now... hope your son will get what he needs in the future..

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @Lozchan and Welcome to the Forum :).

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And welcome to your compassionate new DWP that cannot do enough for the deserving......from the same people that bought you "The real Party of the NHS".

No you can't have your PIP.

Mr. Amazon & Mr. Starbucks & Mr. Google - have another cut in Corporation tax.

Your Maj. - Have £370m re. Buck House for "redecoration". Oh, and we'll double your income while we're at it.

Iain Duncan Smith - how much grant would you like toward the upkeep of your (wife's) stately home?

6th. Richest nation? 10000 people using food banks? How many homeless living on the streets? Really?

I ask you - you couldn't make it up.

Last edited:

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rant over - but it makes me so bloody mad - Lozchan - have you appealed to the Tribunal about the outcome of the assessment? I believe there is quite a good success rate but don't just take this lying down. Where is your petition - yes, I will sign it.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rant over - but it makes me so bloody mad - Lozchan - have you appealed to the Tribunal about the outcome of the assessment? I believe there is quite a good success rate but don't just take this lying down. Where is your petition - yes, I will sign it.

If the appeal has already been heard by a first tier tribunal you can only appeal their decision if they have erred in applying the law.

It sounds as though your son cannot safely cook a meal without supervision due to his hypo unawareness and the ensuing fits so should have scored on the cooking section of daily living. He should also have scored on washing and bathing - again on the safety aspect relating to hypos and fits.

The mobility activity should also have taken account of whether he could safely follow a journey due to his hypo unawareness.

That is without any of the ASD aspect being taken account of.

I think you have a limited time to apply for an appeal - best to get advice from the CAB or similar- or just put another application in.

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the appeal has already been heard by a first tier tribunal you can only appeal their decision if they have erred in applying the law.

Hi Ultramum - wasn't sure if Lozchan had actually appealed or not - if she has, then of course you are right. But we must all be like "snowflakes"....individually unique and delicate, but together we can make an avalanche!! And "they" better not be standing in our way when we do!

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi and welcome,
I have no experience with PIP where diabetes is concerned only from a mental health perspective. On that front you have to complete the form as if it is your sons worse day ever, some who apply don't realise that. Also be consistant throughout the form even if your repeating yourself over and over again. If your appeal has already failed I congratulate you in persevering as it can be deflating receiving no over and over again. I will happily sign your petician but you may be better off putting in another application instead and hopefully getting another set of eyes on it as it were.
Good luck

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You have my support.
My brother-in-law who has mild autism has been told he would qualify for pip.
I think diabetes is a can of worms they are keeping firmly closed.
Although I did read complications from diabetes is covered by pip IF causing problems in day to day living.

Lozchan

Hi everyone, on the day of my sons assessment which was June 2016, he had a major panic attack about going which resulted in him forgetting to do his insulin. Unbeknown to me. We then had a horrible journey to an area he was unfamiliar with, by the time we got to the assesment his sugar levels were really high, when he's high he becomes aggressive. At the assesment he finally done a blood test and he was 28.5!!! So insulin injection given then the assesment. I wasn't allowed to say anything he was all abou my son. The so called medical professional was very manipulative and misleading. So in the end my son apprently can look after himself completely, cook a meal from sractch, administer all his medication, never forgets a thing, and can travel on his own everywhere. Wow, IF only!! Didn't matter that I'm his registered carer, or interrupted and said can I say something here?? What my son has just said is utter rubbish. Imthen went in to list all the things he doesn't do for himself. Several weeks later the magic letter appeared. Saying NO. Your son has scored 0 points in every category. So I appealed stating my reasons. More weeks later, NO, DWP refused as they compared the assesment to the appeal. You said this and in your appeal you said this. On and on it went. So my next step was to go to tribunal, which I did. First hearing was adjourned, the judge decided he wanted medical history which they got. Tribunal hearing was four weeks ago. It was traumatic for my son and for me
If anyone has been to tribunal, you will understand, but there is a doctor, judge and disability advisor. Each in turn interrogated my son." Can you think back to last summer, and how many hypos did you have?"Asked the doctor. Unbelievable. How many diabetics even know they're hypoing let alone remember them?! I could write a book. At the end I was allowed to give eveidence but was told I couldn't repeat anything that had already been said. The whole thing was ridiculous. One week later, low and behold they had scored him 1 for medical condition, and 4 for mental health. So that is why I've decided to petition the government to change their ruling for PIP for diabetics. As I know of others who have been refused in similar circumstances. I don't know if I can put the link on here as it said something about having three posts before posting a link. Anyone know of how I can put it on here?

Lozchan

It sounds as though your son cannot safely cook a meal without supervision due to his hypo unawareness and the ensuing fits so should have scored on the cooking section of daily living. He should also have scored on washing and bathing - again on the safety aspect relating to hypos and fits.

The mobility activity should also have taken account of whether he could safely follow a journey due to his hypo unawareness.

That is without any of the ASD aspect being taken account of.

I think you have a limited time to apply for an appeal - best to get advice from the CAB or similar- or just put another application in.
hi thank you. Trying to find out how to put the petition on here, without getting into trouble for doing so. I haven't appealed to the tribunal, yet as it is about if the judge has done Anything unlawful, and I guess they haven't as such.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome,
I have no experience with PIP where diabetes is concerned only from a mental health perspective. On that front you have to complete the form as if it is your sons worse day ever, some who apply don't realise that. Also be consistant throughout the form even if your repeating yourself over and over again. If your appeal has already failed I congratulate you in persevering as it can be deflating receiving no over and over again. I will happily sign your petician but you may be better off putting in another application instead and hopefully getting another set of eyes on it as it were.
Good luck

With DLA the advice to fill in the form as the worst case is probably correct - with PIP you need to say what is a bad day, what is a better day and then try to put some form of numbers to the amount of bad and better days. If you paint too black a picture and end up at a tribunal where the aspect of bad and better days is examined more closely then it may look bad for your case.

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi thank you. Trying to find out how to put the petition on here, without getting into trouble for doing so. I haven't appealed to the tribunal, yet as it is about if the judge has done Anything unlawful, and I guess they haven't as such.
Just PM a Mod to ask if OK - I can't see a problem. If OK, just make a new post titled "PIP Petition" or something and include a link to where your petition is. To do this, type something like PETITION, highlight it with your cursor then click on the chain symbol in the line above the input box. It will then ask for the URL of the site where the petition is, so just copy and paste the address into this box & you're good to go!

PS - hope that made sense!

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PPS - do wot Ultramum said - go to CAB and get some advice. They may be able to put you in touch with someone who can represent you on a pro-bono (free) basis....

Reactions: Ultramum

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I doubt a petition would make any difference to the government stance on PIP. They do not look at a medical condition as cause to make an award. They look at how the condition affects the person, and there are precise criteria they call descriptors, which determine whether points are awarded to meet those criteria.

With any condition, including diabetes, there is great variation in how it impacts on the person with the condition. Some get along quite well, and don't have any disabling effects, others can have all sorts of complications, and plenty of people have some niggling effects, but manage well. We can see examples of all here in forums.

As others have said, expert welfare benefit advice could help with an appeal. It is often hard to find. In my previous working life, over a decade ago, I was trained to assist in disability benefits support applications. Legislation has changed a lot since then, so my experience is outdated. Disability benefits are much more difficult to obtain now. It may be possible that if the OP fails in efforts to get the current decision overturned a new claim may be made at a later date. I would certainly be seeking advice from a qualified welfare benefits centre.

The site I find has been helpful in assisting others is

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk

Reactions: Ultramum

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
@Lozchan - I hate to be the voice of doom, but the likelihood of a petition getting enough signatures is pretty remote. If you have a Google of PIP petitions, there are so many already out there, some for other conditions which could be considered to be on a par - or worse - than type 1.
Don't think I'm unsympathetic, far from it. I've got a 26 yr old type 2 daughter on basus and bolus, various other medical issues, a rare syndrome - and she's lived in a private hospital for people with severe behavioural issues since 2011.

She was on DLA high rate since 5 years old, we had to apply for PIP this year. They have completely removed her mobility component, not even reduced it.
I didn't appeal. I should have but other things were taking precedence, including an adult child with a serious illness.

Epetitions are a waste of time, sorry, but I've come to that conclusion. Of the hundreds - possibly more - that are started, I know of only one that was heard . It was conveniently slotted in to a time at parliament when the place was half empty, and the question was more or less swept under the carpet. I'm not pessimistic by nature, but I'm a realist. The odds of getting any change are not through epetitions. Maybe through MP's, councillors, demonstrations etc, I honestly don't know. What I do know is that in the so called fight back against unnecessary benefits, they are crucifying people with genuine need - and they don't give a **** about them.

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
§
@Lozchan what I do know is that in the so called fight back against unnecessary benefits, they are crucifying people with genuine need - and they don't give a **** about them.

......The compassionate party..:rolleyes:...but that's what they do - cut your legs off then tell you that they've worked out how to save you loads of money on shoe leather. Well I have never voted for them - and I'm damned if I ever will!

Lozchan

I know it may seem pointless, but the system is unfair. How can someone be awarded DLA then take it away again. The PIP system fails miserably. And the assessment ridiculous.