scared

gplover1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi new on here, ive had health problem for a few years (asthma/sleep apnoea/depression/annemia) most have been fine and under control.

a week ago, I rang an ambulance due to horendus back pain they tested my sugers to find out it was 22.8, so I ended up in hospital for the day having every test known to man and coming out with metaphormin im seeing the diabetic nurse the 23rd may .

in the mean time ive been looking at diets etc and its freeking me out now ive got into such a state that im so scared to eat anything im also doing weight watchers as I need to lose a lot of weight and I swim 3 or 4 times a week for about a hour.

I just get the feeling lifes over and I cant enjoy a meal out or a coffee in costa which I love to do

thanks for reading

fatbill717

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm too new to give you much advice, but I'm in the same boat...overweight, lack of exercise..all the same stuff.
But it's not all doom and gloom..a reasonable diet and a bit of exercise works wonders, and the Metformin (Spanish spelling) seems to do the job.
You can have meals out, and coffee, no problem, just make a note of what you are eating.
I was scared too..my first tests were off the scale ( HI-Ketones) and then over 25 when it came down a bit.
Now I'm steady on good numbers (apart from a LOW result earlier) and a lot more confident about what's happening.
The more experienced people on here will gladly give you advice and encouragement, I'm sure.
Life certainly isn't over..I'm 70, and it's only just begun :)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, don't be scared, there is endless amounts of people of here to tell you just how much of a normal life you can still live! :) have a look at the food section of the forum for ideas and to see what others eat, most go against the rubbish advise from dietician's and go for a low carb high fat diet, I'll tag @daisy1 who will post some info for you when she can which you will find really helpful if you have a read through :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best thing I can do is to tell you to click this link:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

It quickly, simply, and easily tells you what you CAN eat that will NOT raise your blood glucose to dangerous levels.

Hopefully that will give you a chance to catch your breath and settle your mind.

Don't worry, we all go through this worry/paralysis/shock, but it DOES pass, and believe me, there is life after diagnosis and some very good food.

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm a newbie too but bought the carbs and cals book, a meter and strips and decided that I was going to get with lchf programme. I have only just come to the end of my second week and I can honestly say I have never been hungry on 3 meals a day. It does take some getting used to and refusing all the goodies on offer at work. I have a lot of weight to lose too. Take it one step at a time and you will get your head around it.

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was dignosed about 3 months ago now - hit BG of 25 after a bowl of Coco pops for breakfast before the doctor visit.

Now I've got it under control and am working on reversing this disease. Ironically it seems for the most part it's self inflicted due to our poor diet choices and lack of exercise.

The hardest part is at the start you can choose a low carb diet and removal of sugar and begin to increase exercise or you can simply do nothing.

One path leads in the direction of a healthy lifestyle and if your Lucky reversal of the disease and removal of medication. That's the path I've decided to take, I'm cycling to work now my diet is completely changed I've lost 10kg of weight and have low BG numbers now - this morning just tested at 4.7. I've still got 6 months to go before I can remove medication but I'm optimistic that I can achieve this.

Then I'll need to closely monitor what I eat and keep my weight in check exercise will be an ongoing part of my life.

You have just started the trip - you have the ability to lower your BG and if you stick to what you've started maybe reverse it.

Hope your journey is as good as mine and you can reverse this disease.

yycdordor

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
washing dishes lol
hi new on here, ive had health problem for a few years (asthma/sleep apnoea/depression/annemia) most have been fine and under control.

a week ago, I rang an ambulance due to horendus back pain they tested my sugers to find out it was 22.8, so I ended up in hospital for the day having every test known to man and coming out with metaphormin im seeing the diabetic nurse the 23rd may .

in the mean time ive been looking at diets etc and its freeking me out now ive got into such a state that im so scared to eat anything im also doing weight watchers as I need to lose a lot of weight and I swim 3 or 4 times a week for about a hour.

I just get the feeling lifes over and I cant enjoy a meal out or a coffee in costa which I love to do

thanks for reading
I understand how you feel when i first diagnosed type 2 back in nov 2015. Dr called first thing in the morning after my regular blood test and told me to get back to the hospital as my BG was 24mmol. Dr prescribed me metformin and its not working at all... i was freaked out as im just 30, dont know what to do, what not to be. I did try to cut down my food intake n only have salad everyday. Thanks god that i found this forum, everyone in here is super helpful n supportive, i now understand do & don't as a diabetic. Don't panic, we are all here for you as we all been through this and will be here to support you.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app