School picnic : help !

anderson3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
so this Friday is end of term, actually its end of time with our sons school after 12 years......they break up at lunch time and the parents association have suggested a picnic in the grounds afterwards.......egg sandwiches, sausage rolls, Greek pasta salad, butter biscuits, apple pies , potatoe salad all spring to mind.....some of which I will still do for others, but apart from hard boil eggs and cherry tomatoes , apple and cheese ......my mind has gone blank.

If you have any suggestions on what I could eat .... I am trying to do LCHF ..... I would be most grateful.
Thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
so this Friday is end of term, actually its end of time with our sons school after 12 years......they break up at lunch time and the parents association have suggested a picnic in the grounds afterwards.......egg sandwiches, sausage rolls, Greek pasta salad, butter biscuits, apple pies , potatoe salad all spring to mind.....some of which I will still do for others, but apart from hard boil eggs and cherry tomatoes , apple and cheese ......my mind has gone blank.

If you have any suggestions on what I could eat .... I am trying to do LCHF ..... I would be most grateful.
Thanks

One of my favourite salad's is chicken and bacon :hungry: also, some raw veg ( cudities) and dip. Depending on the weather, homemade soup is great.
I hope you have a great day :)

Reactions: azure

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @anderson3000 ..
How about any combination of:
ham, chicken, bacon, cold cuts or cheese - either individual parcels or mini-salads
and for nibbles:
celery sticks (lovely with cream cheese), boiled eggs, nuts, avocado pieces
and sweetie treats:
yoghurt (full fat, natural), low/no sugar mini-jellies, berry selection

All easy to source and easy to prepare .. and good for LCHF

Reactions: keitjones

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@anderson3000 - I'd say, "think tapas"; in other words, small nibbles, so chicken wings/drummers, quality sausages, cheeeeeese, cheese wrapped in Parma ham or thinly slices chorizo, crispy grilled bacon strips, olives, cherry tomatoes, egg mayo, all the usual salad things.

If you allow yourself wheat, the Lidl Protein Rolls offer a decent option.

If you're looking for inspiration a quite scout around the M&S Deli section would throw up loads of ideas you could probably replicate at home.

Enjoy it. It's a landmark day. :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How about sausage slices, large lettuce leaves rolled around cooked meats and coleslaw, chicken thighs roasted and then cooled on kitchen towel, small lettuce leaves with fish/seafood fillings - as long as they will not be sitting anywhere warm for very long. Celery sticks and cream cheese with a chive on top - or finely sliced onion mixed in.
Don't forget the strawberries and the ginger beer.

S

Sean01

Thanks

I make a chick pea 'salad' but with kidney beans and butter beans and tomatoes. Tastes fine cold. Cold meats - low GI - chicken breast, chicken drum sticks etc. Avocado and hard boiled egg with cubes of feta cheese and a few green leaves. Tomatoe and mozerella salad. Get rid of bread and pie crusts and be creative. Let the rest eat cake - show them what you can do when you break the bonds of stodgy carbs.

Be creative - you will have people looking at your picnic with eyes out on stalks.

T2 Oct 15, metformin, exercise and diet - mainly cold food - so picnic food!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Most days my husband takes a selection of the following to work with him:

Cold chicken drumsticks
Deli meats
Olives,
Cheeses
Ham
Sun dried tomatoes in oil
Hard boiled eggs
and anything else he can find in the fridge - and our fridge is strictly low carb :)

anderson3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Many thanks for your extra suggestions....don't feel quite so **** about it now..... but I am so going to miss my traditional picnic fodder :(