School trip

martina

Hello everyone.My daughter went on skiing with her school for a week. Everything had been discussed with the school and my mind put at rest. My main concern had been night checks because my daughters levels are very up at the best of times and because of the change of food and lots of exercise I had asked the school to carry out a check at about 3am. Staff agreed to this and assured me that everything would be ok. They felt confident as they had two junior doctors on the trip to help out.
When my daughter returned she told me that after the second night one of the doctors told her that she would now be responsible for her own checks. I was so annoyed by this I contacted the headteacher, she informed me that the Dr had took the decision based on the fact that the levels had been ok. This is incorrect and Im wondering if a junior Dr who has no knowledge of my daughters diabetes can make this decision without contacting either myself or a member of her diabetes team. I feel completely let down my the school and I suppose Im just wondering what else I can do about it.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Was a Care Plan drawn up for the trip @martina ? Do you have anything in writing showing that the 3am check was agreed?

Was a named person responsible for your daughter's care?

No wonder you're upset. I would be too.

martina

Was a Care Plan drawn up for the trip @martina ? Do you have anything in writing showing that the 3am check was agreed?

Was a named person responsible for your daughter's care?

No wonder you're upset. I would be too.
No in wasn't in the care plan,the nurse went in to the school and the teachers verbally agreed. That could be the problem. Yes there was a named person responsible, it was one of the Dr's. who made the decision that the 3am check was not needed.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No in wasn't in the care plan,the nurse went in to the school and the teachers verbally agreed. That could be the problem. Yes there was a named person responsible, it was one of the Dr's. who made the decision that the 3am check was not needed.

Hmm, ok. Well, I still don't see why you can't write a letter of complaint. A verbal agreement is still an agreement and the school breached your trust.