Second Round Hba1C & Lipids : LCHF Wins

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Had my results back this morning - second round of blood work since being diagnosed Aug 2016 - all results are due to LCHF lifestyle - I have maintained 20-30g per day of carbs - and I have never felt better in my self. I am delighted with the CHO results - as I knew from daily meter usage my BG was going to be OK. In this period I have lost 4 stone.

So -
Aug 16 Dec 16 Mar 17
Hba1C 69 38 35
LDL 3.3 2.2
HDL 1.2 1.5
Total CHO 5.2 4.0
Trigs 1.6 0.5

Using the calculator at http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

These are my results :
Your Total Cholesterol of 4.00 is DESIRABLE
Your LDL of 2.27 is OPTIMAL
Your HDL of 1.5 is NORMAL
Your Triglyceride level of 0.50 is NORMAL

RATIOS:
Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 2.67 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.661 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) IDEAL
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.763 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL

Many thanks to all on this forum - I could not have done it without the wealth of knowledge and experience of the good people on this forum. Just updating my profile to reflect the above.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Excellent reductions in HbA1c, weight and cholesterol leveld @Element137, and in a quite short time! Thanks for posting, it's always good to hear of successes! :)

Reactions: Freema

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Fantastic !!! Made your day I bet!!! What an accomplishment....
I am delighted -thank you - more with the CHO results than the Hba1c - when I started LCHF I still had a nagging doubt about what all that fat intake would do to my CHO results - years of in-correct conditioning reference fat being demonised I guess - so really happy to see such progress in my results-never felt fitter in my adult life - I have dropped 6inches off my waist and have had the glorious problem of replacing all my clothes - life is good.

Reactions: Prem51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am delighted -thank you - more with the CHO results than the Hba1c - when I started LCHF I still had a nagging doubt about what all that fat intake would do to my CHO results - years of in-correct conditioning reference fat being demonised I guess - so really happy to see such progress in my results-never felt fitter in my adult life - I have dropped 6inches off my waist and have had the glorious problem of replacing all my clothes - life is good.
Yup, hard to wrap your head around the right fats not being evil. I still struggle a bit with protein. I always ate loads of it until I found it raising my bs. I still need to weigh it so I don't over eat it and also so I don't short myself haha. I have found that .8g per kg works for me even though it seems so skimpy. Anything over that and it does effect my bs. I spent my life starving until I found the beauty of fat. Especially avocado.

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Super results,
Had my results back this morning - second round of blood work since being diagnosed Aug 2016 - all results are due to LCHF lifestyle - I have maintained 20-30g per day of carbs - and I have never felt better in my self. I am delighted with the CHO results - as I knew from daily meter usage my BG was going to be OK. In this period I have lost 4 stone.

So -
Aug 16 Dec 16 Mar 17
Hba1C 69 38 35
LDL 3.3 2.2
HDL 1.2 1.5
Total CHO 5.2 4.0
Trigs 1.6 0.5

These are my results :

RATIOS:
Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 2.67 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.763 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL

Many thanks to all on this forum - I could not have done it without the wealth of knowledge and experience of the good people on this forum. Just updating my profile to reflect the above.
Super results, I would love to get cholesterol levels like that :) Any advice to a newbie on LCHF??

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Super results,

Super results, I would love to get cholesterol levels like that :) Any advice to a newbie on LCHF??
I have managed to stick to around 20-30g of carbs daily - I test first thing in the morning , before my main evening meal, and two hours afterwards - I try to always remain below 6 after any meal. I started walking daily during my lunch break - 30 mins a day, 30 mins swimming once per week, and just started cycling - although I think the exercise has been secondary to the diet. I swapped beer (in quantity) for red wine ( in quality ) so now have a quality glass of red over a beer - ( although I still really, really miss beer !) I have also allowed myself very rare treat when I felt I wanted it and was willing to accept the spike in BG - I focus on what fantastic foods I can eat on LCHF rather than missing all the things I cant. Best advice I can give is to eat to your meter - its such a powerful motivation at time of temptation !

Reactions: kumera and Prem51

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

So -
Aug 16 Dec 16 Mar 17
Hba1C 69 38 35
LDL 3.3 2.2
HDL 1.2 1.5
Total CHO 5.2 4.0
Trigs 1.6 0.5

These are my results :

RATIOS:

I've not quite got there on the blood sugars yet, but my blood results are pretty much the same er the signature below !

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow congratulations hope you nurse or GP was amazed
Usual level of dis-interest from my GP ( who is the diabetes 'expert' ) for the surgery I go to. To be honest I no longer expect them to react with any interest whatsoever - as far as I am concerned this is self-managed condition - only positive is they have always just agreed to any blood test that I have requested - the GP never asks what I have done to improve results - its their loss, you would think professional curiosity at least would encourage them to ask - bit sadly- not.

Reactions: kokhongw

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've not quite got there on the blood sugars yet, but my blood results are pretty much the same er the signature below !
Keep up the great work ! I see we were diagnosed roughly the same time - great to have a fellow winner alongside !

Reactions: CherryAA

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Usual level of dis-interest from my GP ( who is the diabetes 'expert' ) for the surgery I go to. To be honest I no longer expect them to react with any interest whatsoever - as far as I am concerned this is self-managed condition - only positive is they have always just agreed to any blood test that I have requested - the GP never asks what I have done to improve results - its their loss, you would think professional curiosity at least would encourage them to ask - bit sadly- not.
Exactly the same at my surgery..are they paid to ignore patients who take control?

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Exactly the same at my surgery..are they paid to ignore patients who take control?
I see the same behaviour in my work life sometimes 'not invented here syndrome' I call it - automatic resistance to something deemed alien to accepted norms - my GP ( nice person that she is ) almost makes a point of not being interested in the results or how achieved - I don't assume malice, just ignorance - I am on no meds, I pay for my own test strips and meter, can interpret my own blood test results, manage the condition myself, if I was a GP I would be trying to understand how I get more T2's to do it ( think of the ££££'s if nothing else ! ) - but instead I get printouts handed to me, then walk out without comment.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't use the NHS, I go to a private practise. The doctor there is very interested in the results and how I am achieving it, he has also asked to be put in touch with the Noakes Foundation trial I am doing. I did ask if he was interested in trying to roll it out to other patients. He said the problem they had was that as a private practise, his clients also had a GP and NHS dietary advice. As such there was little interest in going against that advice . Such a pity !

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you would think professional curiosity at least would encourage them to ask - bit sadly- not.

:D some would suggest that we may be poor communicators and haven't spent the necessary years building the right relationships with our doctors...but I suspect the problem truly lies elsewhere.