Seeing results already

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanted to post a quick update as I am a newbie to this forum- (Hubby diagnosed T2 a month ago)
We ordered a BG monitor straight away and his first fasting blood glucose on 10th July was 17.6, this morning it was 13.3 and he has been on the low-cab diet for 2 weeks.

In that time he has lost 8 pounds but most significantly his BP has dropped from 185/112 to 120/94 which is most definitely a step in the right direction. :)

He isn't taking any meds at the moment and keen to keep it that way but just wanted to post so that other newly diagnosed folk can see that it is possible to get positive results from low-carbing in quite a short space of time.

onwards and upwards ! (or downwards if you are talking stats)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you, and well done hubby. :)

Are his post meal rises improving? (the rise from before to after?) That is the best way of judging how well he is doing at the moment.

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you, and well done hubby. :)

Are his post meal rises improving? (the rise from before to after?) That is the best way of judging how well he is doing at the moment.
hi Bluetit it has taken me this long to convince Hubby that he should check his BG post eating. He maintained that it was only worth testing first thing in the morning before eating however to satisfy me, he did check 2 hours after lunch today and he was 10.3 and consequently felt euphoric as now, he can really see that the low carb diet is starting to work ! will keep on with the 'gentle nagging' ! x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi Bluetit it has taken me this long to convince Hubby that he should check his BG post eating. He maintained that it was only worth testing first thing in the morning before eating however to satisfy me, he did check 2 hours after lunch today and he was 10.3 and consequently felt euphoric as now, he can really see that the low carb diet is starting to work ! will keep on with the 'gentle nagging' ! x
Great news.. keep it up.. can't you get him to join up here?

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Just wanted to post a quick update as I am a newbie to this forum- (Hubby diagnosed T2 a month ago)
We ordered a BG monitor straight away and his first fasting blood glucose on 10th July was 17.6, this morning it was 13.3 and he has been on the low-cab diet for 2 weeks.

In that time he has lost 8 pounds but most significantly his BP has dropped from 185/112 to 120/94 which is most definitely a step in the right direction. :)

He isn't taking any meds at the moment and keen to keep it that way but just wanted to post so that other newly diagnosed folk can see that it is possible to get positive results from low-carbing in quite a short space of time.

onwards and upwards ! (or downwards if you are talking stats)

Wow ! Well done. How is the pain in the joints going? Hopefully it is decreasing. Mine has reduced a lot but I know when I have overdone it!

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow ! Well done. How is the pain in the joints going? Hopefully it is decreasing. Mine has reduced a lot but I know when I have overdone it!
He doesn't have painful joints. The shingles type pain (side and back) is still there and doesn't seem to be affected by decreasing blood glucose levels but then if it was a virus, I guess only time will sort it out. Glad that you are feeling better :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done you and big up to hubby, you're doing great.

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully low carb eating will help metabolic changes and corrections to happen.
It seems to make people more cheerful and optimistic, able to cope with doing things again, both from a personality point of view and having more energy to be active.
I found the effects of low carbs were cumulative. The longer I went without spiking my blood glucose more than a couple of whole numbers the lower my average readings became.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even now , with very much reduced sugar readings my WORST reading of the day is first thing . Your husband might be very pleasantly surprised with the pre bed time reading about 4 hours after dinner !

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hopefully low carb eating will help metabolic changes and corrections to happen.
It seems to make people more cheerful and optimistic, able to cope with doing things again, both from a personality point of view and having more energy to be active.
I found the effects of low carbs were cumulative. The longer I went without spiking my blood glucose more than a couple of whole numbers the lower my average readings became.
Yes I agree,Reurgam.I have found myself much more optimistic and positive about my health.Once those numbers are seen to be improving there is the feeling of regaining some control.One of the good outcomes ,and a bonus for me,has been improvement in energy levels and sleep patterns.Well done Sam50! Having a supportive partner is a great boost.