Self monitoring

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am Type 2 on metformin I have invested in a blood monitoring device and just wanting to know if you do exercise when is it best to test the effects on blood sugars before or after the exercise? And how many times a day do you test is it three times a day at every meal time before and 2 hours later? Just trying to make sure am getting it right?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I am Type 2 on metformin I have invested in a blood monitoring device and just wanting to know if you do exercise when is it best to test the effects on blood sugars before or after the exercise? And how many times a day do you test is it three times a day at every meal time before and 2 hours later? Just trying to make sure am getting it right?

I think that most people would recommend before eating, and then 90 minutes to 2 hours after eating. Some foods will give you a glucose spike more quickly than others and of course, what's right for me might be different for you. I'm afraid it's a bit trial and error.

As for exercise, again there's no one size fits all policy. If you want to know the effect that something is having on you then try before and after for a few times. If you get the same results each time then maybe you can think about relaxing the regime. Be aware that strenuous exercise will often raise a person's blood glucose but going for a gentle stroll could well lower it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbr10 and Looseboy

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't
The best times to check your glucose levels are before meals, 2 hour after meals and before bed.

also, it is necessary to check the blood sugar level the first thing when one wakes up in the morning, before doing anything else,

but, these are general rules which might not apply to each individual and the best is to follow the recommendations of a qualified medical diabetes professional for your particular state of current diabetes condition as each persons needs vary, that is the frequency of your measurements,

and as for the exercise, before the exercise and it should not ideally be below 100 mg/dl and if it is above 200 mg/dl, no exercise is to be done.

it best to test the effects on blood sugars both before and after the exercise to see it's effect on your body.

Mark_1

I'd consider getting a Libre starter pack for a month of continuous testing for around £140. Based on this you could then come up with something that suits you