Self sabotage

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah my mistake, I didn't read the Type 2 part. In some ways I'm relieved I'm Type 1.

I'm relieved I'm type 2! We all have problems and will all end up with the same nasty complications if we don't control our blood sugars properly, we just have different problems. I doubt I could ever cope with having to inject the right amount of insulin at the right time or suffer the consequences.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi! Diagnosed at the age of 24! I struggled in the beginning thinking I can't eat this and I can't eat that. The truth is, you can eat what you wants when you want just in moderation. For example. A roast dinner with roast potatoes and mashed potato. I now have 1 or 2 roasties and a small portion of mash. You will learn how to control your sugars quite quickly. For me, I know if I take 2 units of insulin per 10g of carbs it brings my sugars back into normal range. I have no idea how to 'carb count' so I downloaded the 'carbs and cals' app on my phone and it works it out for me. Never tell yourself you can't have certain things because you're diabetic. If you have that mentality you will never be in control. I was only diagnosed in July and I'm getting a grip on things after a lot of research. I'm looking forward to the DAFNE course
Good luck!

yes if being type 1 you can eat what you like in moderation, unfortunately that is not a fact to many type 2 diabetics

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm relieved I'm type 2! We all have problems and will all end up with the same nasty complications if we don't control our blood sugars properly, we just have different problems. I doubt I could ever cope with having to inject the right amount of insulin at the right time or suffer the consequences.
I wish I were type 2 again!!! I do the same thing and eat the same way just CANT exercise as I wish. Then of course all the jabs and fears of oberjabbing and hypoing. I never had that fear as a type 2 and I miss exercise.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I felt exactly the same at first 3 months ago nearly now. To be honest only having 20grams of carbs a day I thought was madness. Now I am loving it. I have lost weight also which I could not do on other diets, this is because I was eating carbs. I only have to look at carbs and the weight goes on. My BG levels are coming down now also. I remember what Kate Moss said (Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" I now even pack a meal for my husband's lunch in a different way. He is outside all day also. Last night I took the skin off 90% meat content of sausages and made homemade scotch eggs. Crushed up some pork crackling and rolled the cooked egg into the pork crackling with sausage meat on. Put them in the oven and made six, so hubby can have a couple for lunch at work with a salad. I also give him 3 sausages cold with salad, or he will have nuts and celery and peanut butter with the sausages. Cooked chicken, bacon salad wrapped in low-carb a wrap. I fill that out so much with a salad that it fills him up with a handful of nuts. Homemade crustless quiche taken to work is nice.I am eating the same, but for dinner quite often I don't always eat brekky or lunch. Chicken is so versatile that you can put different herbs on to give a different taste. I bought a food flask that keeps food warm for 7 hours, and can make a chicken veg stew, he will only eat baby corn, and green beans for veg as he is a fussy eater, he can have that as the weather gets colder. I appreciate that you are working but some of the things listed you can prepare in batches.So now hubby and I are both eating low carb food.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Ah my mistake, I didn't read the Type 2 part. In some ways I'm relieved I'm Type 1.
What is nice is that you are happy with your condition.
This makes such a difference.

Chadders1966

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
People who refuse to listen
cutting out carbs is hard at first but you get used to it. You have to learn a new eating regime and find stuff you like. I've been on 20grams max a day of carbs for 18 months and think nothing of it now. I see every day the results of not taking diabetes seriously. Kidney failure, stroke, heart attack, cateracs..... You have to ask yourself what's worse, eating something you didn't used to like or spending the rest of your life drinking your food through a straw?