Seven months later my diabetes is in remission

NineToTheSky_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am 64. Six months ago I was, and had been for many years, obese, dependent on alcohol, suffering from depression, sedentary and had diabetes type 2. I felt negative and unmotivated. Due to those factors, making any changes was, I thought, nigh on impossible.

I thought I was locked in to diabetes. I have already done irreparable damage to the soles of my feet, and further damage to my body seemed inevitable. But, as I have discovered, it is possible to escape from diabetes and make very positive changes. If I had known what I know now, I might have followed the course I am on sooner. But, due to my mindset then, maybe not.

One evening, seven months ago, for some reason, I thought 'I can't go on like this. I need to do something about my problems'. So the next day, I decided to give up alcohol, control my eating, and start exercising. I didn't stop to think about these decisions because I knew that if I did, I would find excuses not to do it.

The next day, I signed up to a local gym. It was the first time I had ever been into a gym, and it seemed very daunting, but the staff have been very helpful, supportive and encouraging. I started off doing the most that I could, and now go there six days a week and have progressed to exercising very strongly. I have discovered that the more I do, the more I can do.

Seven months on, I haven't had any alcohol. I thought that this would be very difficult, but actually, for me, it hasn't been. I don't miss it at all. I now limit my daily eating to three carefully calorie controlled (fairly) healthy meals. Again, this hasn't been as difficult as I imagined. I even enjoy the taste of the smaller quantities much more than when I was eating excessively.

After Christmas, I went for my quarterly diabetic check up. Much to my amazement, all my measurements, including cholesterol, blood glucose and blood pressure, are now completely normal. I no longer have diabetes. I didn't know that this was possible, but the numbers don’t lie. My readings have, since then, either stabilised or even improved.

My life has been turned around, in a very positive way. There have been so many side benefits that I wasn’t expecting. My eyesight had been deteriorating, and when I felt that it wasn’t, again, quite right I visited my opticians. My eyesight has changed, but much to my delight, it has changed for the better.

I enjoy dressing in a way I consider to be good, but due to my obesity, I was restricted to ‘big man’ websites and their rather narrow and dull ranges. Now I am free to buy anything I want from normal shops and websites – and I do!

Since I started, I have lost nearly seven stone in seven months and I am no longer obese, diabetic or depressed. I feel, and am, fit and healthy. I no longer have depression and all that entails. I feel alert and positive. It is a wonderful feeling to know that I am in control of my health and life.

I really thought I was the last person who could do what I have done. I hope that my experience can encourage other people with similar problems to improve their lot.

Reactions: 6 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absolutely brilliant.
Diet and exercise can be difficult, but it's worthwhile. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done @NineToTheSky_That's a great turn round. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: 2 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I am so pleased for you @NineToTheSky_ you have turned your life around and worked really hard to achieve that. Very well done!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, that is remarkable. :)
Carry on as you are though. Don't allow yourself to become complacent.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!

What a delightful thing to read about - and how wonderful that you have transformed your life! :D

NineToTheSky_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all for your kind words. I have no intention of letting what I have done be undone. I see controlling what I eat and exercising as a life long commitment.

Talking of eating, I think one of reasons I have been successful is because I haven't put myself on an unsustainable diet. I limit myself to 1200 - or occasionally 1400 - calories, which is not particularly punishing. I watch the amount of sugar, and try not to eat empty calories.

When I exercise, I aim - and usually succeed - at burning 800 to 1000 calories, so my daily basic burn of 2200, plus the 800 exercising equals 3000. Deduct the 1200 eaten means I lose 1800 a day. On the basis of losing 500 a day equals a pound a week, it means I can lose 3 - 4 pounds a week. I have just about reached my goal weight, so I am now concentrating on mainly maintaining rather than losing weight - and increasing my core strength and flexibility. At my age, I need to!

As you can see, a knowledge of, and concentrating on, numbers is very helpful.

Reactions: 6 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your kind words. I have no intention of letting what I have done be undone. I see controlling what I eat and exercising as a life long commitment.

Talking of eating, I think one of reasons I have been successful is because I haven't put myself on an unsustainable diet. I limit myself to 1200 - or occasionally 1400 - calories, which is not particularly punishing. I watch the amount of sugar, and try not to eat empty calories.

When I exercise, I aim - and usually succeed - at burning 800 to 1000 calories, so my daily basic burn of 2200, plus the 800 exercising equals 3000. Deduct the 1200 eaten means I lose 1800 a day. On the basis of losing 500 a day equals a pound a week, it means I can lose 3 - 4 pounds a week. I have just about reached my goal weight, so I am now concentrating on mainly maintaining rather than losing weight - and increasing my core strength and flexibility. At my age, I need to!

As you can see, a knowledge of, and concentrating on, numbers is very helpful.

Brilliant, you have the perfect strategy.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @NineToTheSky_
Congratulations on your wonderful achievement. It is truly inspirational and gives hope to all looking on here that it is never too late to drastically improve your life by making big changes to your lifestyle.

One evening, seven months ago, for some reason, I thought 'I can't go on like this. I need to do something about my problems'. So the next day, I decided to give up alcohol, control my eating, and start exercising. I didn't stop to think about these decisions because I knew that if I did, I would find excuses not to do it.
I really relate to this moment in your life as it was a similar instant for me at the end of last year. I am so impressed and thankyou for sharing it
Cheers

NineToTheSky_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I used to burn 800 running every day and I didn't have an ounce of fat on me. I've just started jogging again having lost c30lbs (it's a long time since I was a runner). Do you have multiple different routines so you can alternate?
I spend about a quarter of my time doing weights, a quarter on the rowing machine, a quarter on a cycling machine and a quarter cross training. I damaged my achilles tendon when I started (I started jogging too soon) which is only just recovering, so I will incorporate a treadmill soon. Anything for a bit of variety!

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@NineToTheSky very well done; that is amazing. So pleased for you. Do you have a supportive partner/family as I think that can be a big help to keep on the straight and narrow?

NineToTheSky_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mainly yes. I have found that it has been mainly just head down and focussing. The staff at the gym have been very supportive. But now that I have achieved my weight goal, I hope that I can be a bit more relaxed about it.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done , I started at about the same time as you (last summer) and also turned my T2 around , but have only lost about 3 stone, probably due to still having a monthly blow out, I also used to drink too much , and still have too many bevvies when I do, but limit it to once a month.....

As said very well done :)

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am 64. Six months ago I was, and had been for many years, obese, dependent on alcohol, suffering from depression, sedentary and had diabetes type 2. I felt negative and unmotivated. Due to those factors, making any changes was, I thought, nigh on impossible.

I thought I was locked in to diabetes. I have already done irreparable damage to the soles of my feet, and further damage to my body seemed inevitable. But, as I have discovered, it is possible to escape from diabetes and make very positive changes. If I had known what I know now, I might have followed the course I am on sooner. But, due to my mindset then, maybe not.

The next day, I signed up to a local gym. It was the first time I had ever been into a gym, and it seemed very daunting, but the staff have been very helpful, supportive and encouraging. I started off doing the most that I could, and now go there six days a week and have progressed to exercising very strongly. I have discovered that the more I do, the more I can do.

Seven months on, I haven't had any alcohol. I thought that this would be very difficult, but actually, for me, it hasn't been. I don't miss it at all. I now limit my daily eating to three carefully calorie controlled (fairly) healthy meals. Again, this hasn't been as difficult as I imagined. I even enjoy the taste of the smaller quantities much more than when I was eating excessively.

After Christmas, I went for my quarterly diabetic check up. Much to my amazement, all my measurements, including cholesterol, blood glucose and blood pressure, are now completely normal. I no longer have diabetes. I didn't know that this was possible, but the numbers don’t lie. My readings have, since then, either stabilised or even improved.

My life has been turned around, in a very positive way. There have been so many side benefits that I wasn’t expecting. My eyesight had been deteriorating, and when I felt that it wasn’t, again, quite right I visited my opticians. My eyesight has changed, but much to my delight, it has changed for the better.

I enjoy dressing in a way I consider to be good, but due to my obesity, I was restricted to ‘big man’ websites and their rather narrow and dull ranges. Now I am free to buy anything I want from normal shops and websites – and I do!

Since I started, I have lost nearly seven stone in seven months and I am no longer obese, diabetic or depressed. I feel, and am, fit and healthy. I no longer have depression and all that entails. I feel alert and positive. It is a wonderful feeling to know that I am in control of my health and life.

I really thought I was the last person who could do what I have done. I hope that my experience can encourage other people with similar problems to improve their lot.
congratulations!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, so we'll done @NineToTheSky_ If we could package your spirit, we would be wealthy people indeed.

I hope you find it easy to balance out your eating/weight pretty straightforwardly. For me, that was a challenge, as I tended to continue to lose when I wanted to balance. Because of my personal experience, and similarly for others too, I would suggest you maybe try balancing your weight/exercise/diet a little in advance of when you want to actually stop, to allow for the transitional period. If necessary, you can always revisit your regime if you actually find that balance point too early.

Really good luck with this next phase of your life, you really must feel like you have so much more to look forward to.

Reactions: 3 people

Pussytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad mannered people.

janiebcarder

Hey good job,...,....., keep it going

Reactions: 3 people