Seven weeks after blood test I get to see the DN

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's what I thought. I read it somewhere, probably on this forum :)

TBH, when I started low carbing I felt brilliant and I had so much energy. I hadn't realised how tired the high sugar levels were making me. I've been on medication for a week and felt generally "under the weather" the whole time. I think the glic and the low carb are bringing my bs lower too quickly, and like you say, I need time to adjust to this. Does this make any sense?

Perfect sense. Your body is still adjusting, and will normalise before long. My levels before evening meal are 4 to 5, and in fact this is the time of day when it is usual to see our lowest levels.

I hope you are ignoring her advice to test less often? On low carb and Glic it is very important to test a lot.

My nurse is lovely. She knows how low carb I am, and agrees the low carb route is the way to go. On her tick list that goes on my on-line test results she has entered "diet good" with no comment. But .... every time I see her, the last thing she says to me is "you will have a slice of wholemeal bread every day, won't you" !!

Reactions: Buttons11

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not medically trained but it seems a shame you weren't given adequate opportunity or support to control your BG by diet as it sounds like you were doing a good job.
I want to see her fall off her chair with surprise when she gets the results of my next HbA1c :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Buttons11. You might also have been having a touch of carb flu - that takes a few days to kick in but soon goes.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
God, its scary isn't it? My DN was the same - we had 20 mins talking about my low carbing lifestyle then she told me I need to have 3 meals and 2-3 snacks each day but to stay off of the 'fatty' stuff (as she called walnuts). I think what worries me is that we entrust our health to them and because we've done a bit of research and joined this forum we are aware of what damage their recommended diet does to us. It does make you wonder what other ailments they are giving us poor advice about.
I'm hoping the completely idiotic diet advice and lack of lack proper care just relates to diabetics. That's bad enough.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are on Glic, and drive, you MUST test before you drive. I was started on half a tablet and my initial GP wanted me put up to a full tablet, but the second GP said to stick to the half and see how I went. I'm still on the half tablet but my BG is way down most of the time.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was on gliclazide for about 18 months, but was never told to test before driving. I did have a few mild hypos (which I needed to treat with glucose tabs, fudge, biscuits, or whatever I had to hand).

Glad I'm off it now.