sharing my experiences of gd

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip
I had gestational diabetes in 2003 with my second child, at the age of 23. I had my children very close together, my first daughter was just 7 months old when I got pregnant again. My first pregnancy was problem free, apart from a bit of morning sickness early on, other than that I felt full of energy and carried on my busy social life right up to the day she was born. I was actually underweight when I got pregnant the first time at around 6stone 10 at 5"3" but that had been normal for me, I was very active and ate plenty. I put on quite alot of weight over the pregnancy, probably due to my craving of milk, the Jersey full fat type I'd drink bottle at a time lol
By the time I was pregnant again I think I was about 9-10 stone. I'd never heard of gestational diabetes, we were more interested in a genetic condition my partner had called osteogenisis imperfecta (brittle bones), the father had 2 previous children born with the disease and 1 without, genetic counselling beforehand told us it was a 50/50 chance, the baby would either have it or not. But we decided we wanted to so that was that.
The second pregnancy was totally different, I was sick and exhausted from day 1, which I just put down to having an under 1 to look after, I developed problems walking where my pelvis was rubbing together and had to wear an uncomfortable belt all the time. I needed alot of support as I couldn't lift my daughter at all. I had monthly scans to check how my babys bones were growing, as with OI they are very soft and will appear curved in the womb, but all was fine, they did comment that she was big for her gestation from a measurement of her stomach.
I didn't really notice not feeling well to start with as it was mid summer, we had a heatwave back then if anyone remembers? I think it hit 38° in the south here, so just figure that was causing tiredness, thirst etc. It was only when I was hovering the stairs at around 5 months that I came over funny and had to lie down. The room was spinning awfully like I'd drunk far too much but worse, I was taken up to the hospital natal ward where they found sugar in my urine, ordered a glucose tolerance test and diagnosed me with gestational diabetes. I was sent home to try reducing my bg levels via food, advised only really to not drink milk or eat fruit or anything with sugar in, after 2 weeks my levels were still too high and I was put on insulin.
It was difficult at times, when my daughter wouldn't settle to sleep for example ( my partner did a runner not long after the diagnosis) and I really needed to eat and take my insulin. I would nap in the afternoons with her while she slept. Daughter number one was an early developer, crawling at 5 months and walking by 10, so chasing after her was challenging lol and I still struggled with getting her in and out at bathtime, now with no help.My last scan and the midwife was concerned she was growing too large with the diabetes, which was pretty uncontrolled, so they took me in to be induced if I hadn't delivered by end of week, they need nt have bothered she came rapidly on Halloween, I remember watching coronation street at start of labour and by 10.30pm she was delivered, around 3 hours lol.
Well she weighed 7lbs 3ozs, not big at all, although she did have a fat little tummy! She was cleared for osteogenisis imperfecta and any complications of the diabetes, she was a little yellow (jaundiced) but I was just advised to 'park her near a window' several times a day and it soon cleared up.
She is now 10years old, beautiful, healthy, full of energy, intelligent and a joy to spend time with as is my other daughter :) I hope she never has complications from her excess sugar in the womb.
Since then my weight rocketed, I didn't really pay attention, I got complacent and to be honest the diabetes was far from my mind with a busy young family. I was told it would increase the risk of me having type 2 later in life, but to me in my 20's, "later in life" was a million years from then and I thought I have plenty of time to do something about my weight and health before then. The last 2 years I had been finally addressing my weight issues after I realised at 18 stone I was in the "morbidly obese" category, which shocked the hell out of me! I managed to lose about 2 stone through diet and exercise until I started feeling really unwell about a year ago. I was weeing and drinking alot and dreadfully tired, I told the nurse I had pregnancy diabetes and she tested my urine but it was negative for glucose, it got put down to my periods which had suddenly become ridiculously heavy and painful.
Anyways in Feb this year I was taken into hospital with sugar levels of 26 and rising, and diagnosed as being type 2 diabetic.
I just wanted to share my experiences, I wish I'd had a community like this when I had gd as I was very clueless and alone at the time and had no idea what to expect nor could I make sense of it all.
I just hope my experiences help anyone else who is young to realise the long term risk of getting type 2 and be vigilant about your health and weight, and to insist on regular finger prick tests (urine ones typically only detect over around 10mmol with healthy kidneys). I could have prevented or certainly staved off my type 2 for many years to come if I had been more informed, health conscious and not stuck my head in the sand thinking "it'll never happen to me", I think we all have the notion when we're younger that we're invincible and going to live forever lol
Also I hope it allays any fears about your unborn baby, they are remarkably hardy and seem to continue to thrive regardless :)

Reactions: 3 people

AJack123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wasn't diabetic when I got pregnant but at 6 months they told me I was gestational got put on insulin then when my son was born they checked me and unfortunately it didn't go away despite a very strict diet but I'm determined to try and get rid of this type 2 once and for all x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

debbiiee

I wasn't diabetic when I got pregnant but at 6 months they told me I was gestational got put on insulin then when my son was born they checked me and unfortunately it didn't go away despite a very strict diet but I'm determined to try and get rid of this type 2 once and for all x

Didn't you have the symptoms of excessive thirst & urination? How were u diagnosed then?
Nice determination to get rid of ur D. Warmest regards, Debbie:)

AJack123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't have any symptoms at all so I was a shock as my BMI is 26 but I'm getting there now my levels are great x

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was never warned that I was more likely to get Type 2 when I had bordeline gestational twice.

AJack123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's been quite a shock to me as I've never been ill and then just from being pregnant I got a lot if health issues but I'm trying to stay healthy and on track it got me down a lot at first but then I thought you either pick yourself up or let it rule your life x