Sharps boxes

mrsAP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much
I'm very recently diagnosed & slowly stumbling my way through the mountain of information out there! I don't have a blood glucose monitor but would like to purchase one so I get to understand what's happening to me....ie when I wake up with a headache is it because my bloods are weird or do I just have a headache! One thing that puzzles me is where do I get rid of my sharps box? My 2 thoughts are drop it off at the GP or see if the council cover this, what are other peoples experience/solutions?

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP takes mine in to dispose of them - check with your practice.

F

Reactions: mrsAP
D

Deleted Account

This varies a lot from one area to the next.
Some people like (@Books1) take their's to their GP but some surgeries only take sharps containers they have prescribed
Some people take their's to their local pharmacy but many pharmacies do not take sharps containers because they do not have the space.
Some councils take them.

Some people struggle to find anywhere to get rid of their sharps. If, like you, they are disposing of lancets, they can recap the lancet (or use a FastClix device which retracts all sharp points), put them in a sealed plastic bottle (like a washing liquid bottle) and put them out with their rubbish. Incidentally, this is what I was told to do when I was first diagnosed with diabetes and not given a sharps container until last year.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only change lancets occasionally, maybe every couple weeks. I just toss 'em out with the QTips lol.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
I'm very recently diagnosed & slowly stumbling my way through the mountain of information out there! I don't have a blood glucose monitor but would like to purchase one so I get to understand what's happening to me....ie when I wake up with a headache is it because my bloods are weird or do I just have a headache! One thing that puzzles me is where do I get rid of my sharps box? My 2 thoughts are drop it off at the GP or see if the council cover this, what are other peoples experience/solutions?

Hi @mrsAP, welcome to the forum. I get my sharps boxes on prescription and the local council collect them; I fill in a form on line.