Shingles and Diabetes ?

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure of the relevance but I too had several bouts of shingles prior to T1 diagnosis. I guess there are a multitude of triggers.

amazinmo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just been told today I have shingles .
Never ever had this before .

Just battled off an eye inflammation , then toothache now it is this !

My BG levels have been higher than normal .
Plus am 'off' my food been more thirsty than actually hungry .
Plenty of water with either vimto/blackcurrant (all sugar free)
Or I crumble a orange berrocca tablet in water bottle to mix and get
my vitamin c - down me .

Up to now been shaky via the nervous system and have rash all
following this .
Docs say its a worse case they have seen for a while .
Am covered in it .
Physical stress factor has been mentioned by my doctors nurse yesterday .

So far its unpleasant and is extremely PAINFUL .

How long am I expected to have this for ?
Never having this before - I am unsure of 'what' to expect ...
I have had shingles 3 times, first when my son was born with problems had them on my stomach, second when my brother in law died young had them all down the nerves in my leg and thirdly when my mother died had them on neck and back of head. doctor told me stress related each time apparently lies dormant in the spinal chord i was told by doctor

Reactions: 2 people

borderbird

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

my vitamin c - down me .

following this .
Am covered in it .

borderbird

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have type 2 and have just had shingles. As I have had them before, 30 years ago when the doctor gave me a small bottle of stuff which had to be painted on. As they were on my back it was not easy, but this time I recognised the nasty itch, rash and tingling very quickly and the doctor gave me Aciclovir anti viral pills and they all went very soon with no after effects. The pills however made me feel sick and very down, but as I was very stressed I blame this for the shingles. So get to the doctor quickly and get anti viral pills, drink lots of water, and rest as much as you can is my advice. Good Luck.

Reactions: 6 people

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just getting over an attack of shingles on my back (mild luckily) so you have my sympathy. I, too, wondered if there were links to T2 but I suspect probably not. Most of us had chicken pox as kids, I guess, so it's statistically inevitable that a good few of us will develop shingles at some point. I can't even claim that I have been unduly stressed: if it had happened four or five years ago I'd have had a different view as things (particularly work) were quite, ahem, challenging but now - apart from coping with T2 - things are a lot better. The worst stress point in my life atm is that I haven't had a piece of toast and marmalade since being diagnosed last summer, and I would kill for one :D

MizzRyan69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being diabetic. .
I have just been diagnosed with t2 and have had ocular shingles three times as an adult.. They were always put down to the high stress levels of my job. . Since being diagnosed and trying to educate myself I realise diabetes is also linked to stress. . Each time with ocular shingles was closely monitored by the hospital.

Reactions: 4 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@MizzRyan69
Lots of us say the same, the NHS is diabolical with regards to giving the correct information for Diabetics.
Neil

MizzRyan69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being diabetic. .
@MizzRyan69
Lots of us say the same, the NHS is diabolical with regards to giving the correct information for Diabetics.
Neil

I was literally informed after 4 fasting blood tests that I have t2 diabetes, (wouldn't let me drink the glucose as my readings were still too high) My GP went on to say you are now entitled to a free flu jab, handed me a leaflet for a place called 'Juggle' which I am not going to :-O and then went on to tell me that I needed to rethink my diet and an appointment would be made for me to see a diabetics nurse... I'm not overly 'Overweight' which has also been upsetting to read that there is a massive pre-judgement that type 2 are huge and eat everything in sight.... If anything I was not eating enough during the day... Sorry to ramble Neil... pleased to chat :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was literally informed after 4 fasting blood tests that I have t2 diabetes, (wouldn't let me drink the glucose as my readings were still too high) My GP went on to say you are now entitled to a free flu jab, handed me a leaflet for a place called 'Juggle' which I am not going to :-O and then went on to tell me that I needed to rethink my diet and an appointment would be made for me to see a diabetics nurse... I'm not overly 'Overweight' which has also been upsetting to read that there is a massive pre-judgement that type 2 are huge and eat everything in sight.... If anything I was not eating enough during the day... Sorry to ramble Neil... pleased to chat :)
Ye gods!
You should send in a 'tactless of the year' award.

But stick with us!
A good read of the forum and you'll know enough to ask the right questions, know what to aim for, and know when to hop up and down and demand appropriate treatment when/if you need it.

Welcome. :)

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)

my vitamin c - down me .

following this .
Am covered in it .

Hi Anna,

I was diagnosed with shingles ten years ago so I was a type 1 for 23 years at the time. I never thought that I would get shingles as I always thought it was something "old people got" I was 36 years old. It was incredibly painful.

Length of time is different for each person but if I remember correctly I think I had it for about a month before everything started to get back to normal.

You can speed up the recovery process by getting some calamine lotion. Its a white chalky solution. Apply it to some cotton wool and dab the rash all over with it. Apply it freely. Its fantastic it really helps to relieve the itching and also helps to dry up the rash. Any pharmacist will tell you to use this.

I recovered completely. It left a few red marks that I still have today but I wasn't left with any pain.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

KevFitz

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone know how Anna is? She seems to have abandoned this thread

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Good question. I thought she'd come back with an update.

Reactions: 4 people