Should I be testing my blood

Iprobinson

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I've posted before regarding my recent diagnosis of pre-diabetes. The nurse at the GP surgery said to come back in 3 months for another blood test and in the meantime lose some weight. I'm 5'8" and weigh 11st. 11lb., so not hugely overweight, although my waist measures 39". I'm on a diet (of course) but wonder if I should be testing my blood each day. If so, what equipment do I need? There seems to be a lot on the market. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Many thanks!

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Lots of people on this forum seem to use SD Code free or TEE2 meters as they have the cheapest test strips if you have to fund them yourself. The LCHF diet is perhaps a good starting point for losing weight. See the low carb forum on this site.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I've posted before regarding my recent diagnosis of pre-diabetes. The nurse at the GP surgery said to come back in 3 months for another blood test and in the meantime lose some weight. I'm 5'8" and weigh 11st. 11lb., so not hugely overweight, although my waist measures 39". I'm on a diet (of course) but wonder if I should be testing my blood each day. If so, what equipment do I need? There seems to be a lot on the market. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Many thanks!

Yes, you do need to test.

All meters have to conform to the same ISO (2013) standards before they can be marketed. Some are given away for free, but be aware of the cost of test strips as they can range from around £7.50 for 50 up to approximately £30 for 50. As you only need one meter but many thousands of strips, it is wise to chose one with cheaper strips.

The cheapest at the moment are the Codefree and the TEE2. The TEE2 also has a free meter but no discount codes..

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

Pharmacies don't sell them. There are discount codes if you buy in bulk and don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The TEE2 is sold by Spirit Healthcare. http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

Reactions: Liam1955

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May one enquire what diet you are on?
We may be able to help there too....

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi,

Many thanks!
Hi @Iprobinson ..
Are you on an LCHF diet .. if not, it may be worth checking out the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. also the following websites ...
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds
Low Carb 10-week Programme

If you are planning to test, try the website at: https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/ for the SD Codefree meter or: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free. I have been using both for comparative purposes since Feb 16th. The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. I'm testing 3-4 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month .. but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I will be able to manage them
Hope this helps

Iprobinson

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
May one enquire what diet you are on?
We may be able to help there too....

Hi, Well, I've only been on a diet for just over a week, but I've cut out fruit juice, cakes, puddings, reduced my sugar intake and the amount of potatoes I eat (eating more sweet potato), using brown rice and wholewheat pasta and more veg and salad and a bit more fruit I have high cholesterol (7.6) and for my next appointment in June they will be giving me a more in-depth blood test to find out my good and bad cholesterol. I've also started swimming twice a week for an hour each time, plus I go to a yoga class once a week (have been for the last 6 years)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Veg and salad good.. meat too?
Fruit is a bit dodgy for many but you will find all that out if you get a meter and start testing. Then you will be able to see which foods cause your blood sugar to go up.
There are a number of threads ongoing on the forum about cholesterol levels so I'll let you find them yourself but it may be very useful to do a bit of exploring before June so you are as well informed as your HCP's (dare I say better informed).
Personally pasta and rice of any hue are nono's but you should test and see how they effect you.
All the best and good luck.
As I'm sure you have realised the forum is a huge and very useful resource.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Well, I've only been on a diet for just over a week, but I've cut out fruit juice, cakes, puddings, reduced my sugar intake and the amount of potatoes I eat (eating more sweet potato), using brown rice and wholewheat pasta and more veg and salad and a bit more fruit I have high cholesterol (7.6) and for my next appointment in June they will be giving me a more in-depth blood test to find out my good and bad cholesterol. I've also started swimming twice a week for an hour each time, plus I go to a yoga class once a week (have been for the last 6 years)

You would do much better to seriously reduce fruit, not increase it. Fructose isn't good for diabetics. Most of us find a few berries and cream/yogurt as part of a meal is OK, but eating fruit as a snack can be very difficult.

All carbs turn to glucose once inside our system, including the brown and wholemeal varieties. Bread, rice, pasta, potatoes (including sweet), breakfast cereals and anything made with flour are the main culprits in raising blood sugar levels (and increasing weight) We also need to be very careful with fruit and milk.

Have a look at this website for some ideas. It may help you. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

This is why a meter is essential. By testing before you eat and again at 90 minutes to 2 hours after first bite you can see at a glance what that meal has done to your levels and have the opportunity to reduce certain portions or eliminate completely. (alongside a food diary)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do check on the amount of carbs in foods - sweet potatoes have more carbs than ordinary - I don't eat any kind, as it puts my BG up in the teens and keeps it there, all grains do the same, root vegetables, fruits other than berries and melon - I try to eat foods with under 11 percent carbs and ones which are up at 8, 9 or 10 I measure the amount carefully. I sometimes delay eating a dessert until I see where my BG level is 2 hours after the main meal, at which time I might have forgotten about it anyway.

Reactions: AM1874 and Ultramum

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes always be testing and going much lower in carb like forever so you avoid getting full blown diabetes, and add exercise to your daily rutines like longer walks or regular fitness more times a week..
you are still in the lucky position that you have a fair chance to beat the desease which most with a full diabetes diagnose do not any longer have in sight..

the plus is that a low carb eating style (for most days) makes it much easier to loose weight and keep it off

Reactions: Ultramum

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you're doing well considering you've just started with your diet. Well done :) I tried sweet potato and brown rice in the beginning, but after testing , cut out brown rice. Sweet potato wasn't as bad for me, so I still have that sometimes. I found testing very motivating, as it stopped me from eating food that would raise my BG numbers. My family is a bit sick of me , though. They want cake, ice-cream and fish 'n' Chips ;)

richf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
rainy days
I was told exactly the same as you just over a week ago. Initially I felt devastated and didn't really know the best way ahead. No information and felt out on my own. I found this site and from advice on here I got a starter kit with meter from Spirit Health and have actually started testing today. I have also read up on low carb diets and lots of posts on here. At first I felt out on a limb but with information received and support from here I feel confident to tackle the future. Again like you I was told loose weight and come back in 3 months - (came over to me as almost a punishment for having high levels! ) just like it was at school getting a detention. I now have a better understanding of carbs, Before I thought I was eating healthily being glucose impaired
but I can see the error of my ways. Just didn't know and no advice offered.

Reactions: Ultramum

Iprobinson

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I've cut out cakes, sweets, biscuits, pastry. I still have my bowl of Alpen no sugar muesli with banana for breakfast as that's all I really want first thing. For lunch I've just had scrambled egg on toast (Warburtons brown seeded) and a cup of tea. For dinner this evening it's salmon, home made ratatouille, cabbage, peas, possibly a small potato, and a pear for afters. Does that sound a reasonable day's food? To tell the truth, my diet has always been similar, although possibly with too many potatoes, and cake every day after lunch.

I've only lost a pound since last week though! Maybe I'm eating too much? :(

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I've cut out cakes, sweets, biscuits, pastry. I still have my bowl of Alpen no sugar muesli with banana for breakfast as that's all I really want first thing. For lunch I've just had scrambled egg on toast (Warburtons brown seeded) and a cup of tea. For dinner this evening it's salmon, home made ratatouille, cabbage, peas, possibly a small potato, and a pear for afters. Does that sound a reasonable day's food? To tell the truth, my diet has always been similar, although possibly with too many potatoes, and cake every day after lunch.

I would say your carbohydrate intake is quite high.. have you ever written a food diary and measured exactly what you are eating each day? At first it seems a real faff but as we often have the same things each day (your breakfast for example) the you only have to measure once and you have the readings.. then you can see what you are really having.
I found that cutting back drastically on carbs and a bit of intermittent fasting (skipping breakfast entirely) helped me to loose a lot of weight at the beginning. Muesli and banana is a very high carb start to the day and will probably only serve to make you hungrier late morning.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Your blood sugar meter will give you the answer if/when you get one. It depends what your blood sugar is after those meals. "Eat to,your meter" is really good advice. It means eat what doesn't rasie your blood sugar too much. You'll find out by trial and error what foods you do OK with.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!

I'd be inclined to just have the scrambled egg - but add some salmon to it (cooked or smoked) and ditch the toast. Try not to have too much milk to make it - try using single cream instead (less carbs than milk believe it or not). And I'd say try not having the pear for afters and instead have a bit of cheese - my favourite is red leicester. See how you go. I know its a rude shock but you'll get there. Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much

Hi @Iprobinson
Managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day, seems to be working .. I have lost 1stone 8lbs since my diagnosis on Feb 7th and my BG levels are down from 12.5 to around 6. There is a wealth of info about LCHF on the forum .. and a wealth of relevant advice and positive support.
I think you would do well by reading up on the Low Carb Program
You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. and the following websites ...
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds
Low Carb 10-week Programme

Been said above by @Freema and @Bluetit1802 (and others) but it's worth repeating .. when considering testing, try the website at: https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/ for the SD Codefree meter or: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free. The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. I'm testing 3-4 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I will be able to manage them
Hope this helps