Should I feel ill?

Tracyplum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to the doctors in November for something else but since I don't visit often I asked for a diabetes test too. The reason being my gran, dad and sister all had type 2, plus I'm over weight. Also feeling a little tired ( but I do work full time) , was feeling thirsty ( but don't often drink regular at work), get up to go to the loo at night (but drink more of an evening) all symptoms have a possible reason. Anyway I had a blood test, then a fasting blood test then a GTT, that latter had a result of 6.8 then 11.2. The doctor told me I wasn't diabetic. Then a week later the nurse rung and said I was. I went back for an appointment where I was sent home with lots of leaflets and shown links to website and told to eat carbs at every meal. I had blood taken again and I'm due back this week because they said its still high. Anyway I will get to the point. I have been trying to low carb but at the moment I am a little in denial because I don't feel unwell or have problems. Do any other newly diagnosed people feel like this? I feel I'm trying to treat something I don't have. My gran and dad have passed away and my sis lives away and I don't have much contact with her.

gally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi tracy
I was diagnosed on a basis that i went to the docs with the symptoms of a sore up my nose that i had , had for about 4 months and dry eyes never felt ill at all had some blood tests and they came back that i was diabetic but i was just on the line he said
but have been low carbing for about 5 months and have lost 2 stone

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went to my GP with a sore throat that wouldn't go away. After a few appointments I came back with Type 2, Anaemia and needing a Hysterectomy for a giant fibroid.

I didn't have any Type 2 symptoms. My advice would be not to go to the doctors with a sore throat :lol: I'm sure it would have caught up with me eventually.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Tracyplum said:
I went to the doctors in November for something else but since I don't visit often I asked for a diabetes test too. The reason being my gran, dad and sister all had type 2, plus I'm over weight. Also feeling a little tired ( but I do work full time) , was feeling thirsty ( but don't often drink regular at work), get up to go to the loo at night (but drink more of an evening) all symptoms have a possible reason. Anyway I had a blood test, then a fasting blood test then a GTT, that latter had a result of 6.8 then 11.2. The doctor told me I wasn't diabetic. Then a week later the nurse rung and said I was. I went back for an appointment where I was sent home with lots of leaflets and shown links to website and told to eat carbs at every meal. I had blood taken again and I'm due back this week because they said its still high. Anyway I will get to the point. I have been trying to low carb but at the moment I am a little in denial because I don't feel unwell or have problems. Do any other newly diagnosed people feel like this? I feel I'm trying to treat something I don't have. My gran and dad have passed away and my sis lives away and I don't have much contact with her.

Yes Tracyplum ... I think I'm a little in denial at the moment. Maybe not denial so much as pushing my boundaries a bit. I was diagnosed T2 7 months ago, put on 2000mg Metformin, arrived here a couple of days after diagnosis, began LCHF immediately and found it not a problem at all. In fact, I could eat all the foods I LIKE and skip most of the foods I DISLIKE. I truly dislike most carbs and don't like the way eating them makes my tummy feel.

I recently had my meds cut to 1000mg a day without a blood test I might add, my DN did that on the basis that my last HBA1C was so good and the fact I've been having night sweats which she thinks are due to overmedication.

So my little mind thought ... OK ... you're doing well with the BGs ... maybe you can add a few more things to your diet. So for the past say, month, I've added bread every day, maybe one egg custard or cream scone per week, a glass of Rose wine every couple of nights, a banana every day. And I'm noticing the difference both in BGs and in my digestion. One day last week I had a morning fasting bg of 17.5!!! And I'd had an OK diet the day before so couldn't understand it. But I'd had bread and a cream scone about 3 days before! So I put it down to that.

The stupid thing is, I don't particularly like cream scones, or egg custards, I'd just got used to having the odd cake before I was diagnosed even though I didn't particularly enjoy them and occasionally I creep back that way ... but it really is to just see how it affects my BG. So I suppose part of me is wondering if this diabetes can just 'go away' or whether I really am stuck with it for life.

DaveNN

On your last comment, I'm in exactly the same frame of mind.
My doc did say that if I had seen him six months earlier, then he wouldn't have put me on meds ( though I did have a choice).
I was meant to up my metformin to 1000mg last week.
I haven't bothered, as my BG figs are normal for a non diabetic..with the occasional blip.

It's the "label" that bothers me.... occasionally...but as only a slack handful of people,who know me, know I have thus label...what the hell.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Tracyplum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's only a few weeks since I was told and I've started the week off with low carbing fine. Then the weekend comes and things slip. Then I think ..... I couple of weeks age I'd of eaten it! So I do! Maybe not as much but still think it will be fine. I think it is with the doctor saying I wasn't diabetic and the nurse saying I was. Anyway by reading on here I realise the doctors don't always know best. I will have to get a meter and see for myself what happens when I eat things. I was holding off till this week because I asked the nurse who phoned me if I should buy one and she said if its needed we will give you one......lets wait and see! Thanks for your replies, it's good to know its not just me.

plato1970

im scared to go to my doctors because if feel like im wasting their time i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes august last year i have other health issues both physical and mental and on unbeliveable amonts of medication im scared but i dont feel i can talk to my doctor or diabetic nurse they always seem in a rush to get me in and out i cant talk to my partner shes to busy with the kids (not her fault)i just dont no where to turn im controlling my diabetes with metaformin 1000mg . :thumbdown:

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Ive been diagnosed for almost 3 years, and whilst I don't feel ill now I have researched and made the decision to change my lifestyle. I was diagnosed by what I thought was a water infection, it was actually thrush, which for several months was reoccuring. Once I got my BG down a bit it went away with treatment. I haven't had it since, but those 6 months were painful.

I made the decision that I'm only 33, I may not feel ill yet but I don't want to be making my life harder later, because thats when the damage will show. If I keep my BG as close to non diabetic now, then hopefully I will be less likely to get complications later. Also since I changed my lifestyle, I feel so much better, more energy, more confidence and I feel in control for the 1st time in my life.

We all have a decision to make for ourselves.

Tracyplum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My dad died 17 year ago and didn't work to control his diabetes so got complications pretty quickly dying 10 years after developing type 2, I had left home by then so was not really aware of what went on, mum was there to look after him. looking back he was type 2 then ill almost over night. Anyway I have been doing lots of reading today and tomorrow I'm going to start writing food down with a low carb diet and also sort out a meter thus preventing a repeat of what happen to my dad. Maybe at 47 years old I should have more sense about my health and realise I'm not invincible!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Tracyplum. The reason diabetes can be so insidious is that often you have no symptoms of the illness but possibility of harm continues. As you realise, getting a meter is essential so that you know where you are on blood sugar and can eat and take meds if necessary to the meter. The advice the nurse gave you about carbs with every meal is based on nonsense science and would make your diabetes worse; good to see you have decided to go low-carb. You don't need carbs with every meal as the body is quite capable of releasing glucose as needed from fat and protein in food via the liver.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Tracyplum said:
It's only a few weeks since I was told and I've started the week off with low carbing fine. Then the weekend comes and things slip. Then I think ..... I couple of weeks age I'd of eaten it! So I do! Maybe not as much but still think it will be fine. I think it is with the doctor saying I wasn't diabetic and the nurse saying I was. Anyway by reading on here I realise the doctors don't always know best. I will have to get a meter and see for myself what happens when I eat things. I was holding off till this week because I asked the nurse who phoned me if I should buy one and she said if its needed we will give you one......lets wait and see! Thanks for your replies, it's good to know its not just me.

I would say if in doubt ... stick with the low carb diet or at least cut down on those obvious carbs. :D

X-entricity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many people who are newly diagnosed do not feel actually ill and it comes as quite a shock to be told that you have diabetes. I told my doctor and nurse that I would beat it but was warned that this was not really possible,. Well I may still have it but I am beating it. I have lost 6 stone by low carbing and my last HBa1c was 5.6. Don't give in to it but keep fighting. You can reverse it. I still take the metformin and cinnamon and eat a low carb diet based on the GI books, Worrall-Thompson has written some great recipe books and I don't feel deprived of food at all. In fact I am enjoying food more than before. And come the week-end you can stil have a treat, couple of glasses of wine etc. I took the diagnoses as a warning and changed my life. Best thing I ever did.

Tracyplum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well at the moment I'm not only low carbing but very little eating. I'm full of flu and feel really tired. I have had a couple of eggs scrambled for tea thought.